Capitol Gains?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Forum,

Well, after returning home yesterday from my trip to NYP and back, I am trying to catch up on all the threads from the last week and a half and ran across this thread.

I was on the Capital Limited (29) last Monday night ( the 19th) till Tuesday Morning and we arrived 3 hours late into Chicago. I did see some rail work that slowed our trip but the thing I remember most and was announced was the fact we were following a really slow freight. I know we crept along

about 30 mph for what seemed close to an hour.

This leg of our trip was both heaven and hell. It was the most delightful because of the scenery but also hell because of a mix up in our reservations that placed us into Coach seating instead of our sleeper.

If interested as to why, I'm prepareing a trip report shortly......BD

BOXCAR....

I had a similar experience going into CUS on #29 in February. Things seemed to be going well until we hit PGH, then we lost time and I suspect fell out of the "time slot" that would have helped keep us sequence with other traffic. As a result, we were stuck behind several "slow moving freights", especially west of Toledo, into Indiana and into Chicago. All in all we were 4 hours late. Side note - this all took place when the region was hit by the Alberta Clipper - temps really nose dived and I suppose this would contribute to schedule delays. Overall - the trip was very enjoyable, despite the delays.

Deimos

deimos said:
BOXCAR....
I had a similar experience going into CUS on #29 in February.  Things seemed to be going well until we hit PGH, then we lost time and I suspect fell out of the "time slot" that would have helped keep us sequence with other traffic.   As a result, we were stuck behind several "slow moving freights", especially west of Toledo, into Indiana and into Chicago.  All in all we were 4 hours late.  Side note - this all took place when the region was hit by the Alberta Clipper - temps really nose dived and I suppose this would contribute to schedule delays.  Overall - the trip was very enjoyable, despite the delays.

Deimos
I hear you Guy...seems about the same place we were held up....BD

Boxcar Dummy said:
deimos said:
BOXCAR....
I had a similar experience going into CUS on #29 in February.  Things seemed to be going well until we hit PGH, then we lost time and I suspect fell out of the "time slot" that would have helped keep us sequence with other traffic.   As a result, we were stuck behind several "slow moving freights", especially west of Toledo, into Indiana and into Chicago.  All in all we were 4 hours late.  Side note - this all took place when the region was hit by the Alberta Clipper - temps really nose dived and I suppose this would contribute to schedule delays.  Overall - the trip was very enjoyable, despite the delays.

Deimos
I hear you Guy...seems about the same place we were held up....BD
This is a very often an area of congestion for NS, that routinely impacts Amtrak service. While I've not tracked the daily figures, I'd say that probably 75% of Amtrak trains using this corridor expierence at least some delay. That includes both the two LD trains running on those tracks, as well as the Michigan services that use the tracks from Chicago into Indiana, before branching off.

This is a very often an area of congestion for NS, that routinely impacts Amtrak service. While I've not tracked the daily figures, I'd say that probably 75% of Amtrak trains using this corridor expierence at least some delay. That includes both the two LD trains running on those tracks, as well as the Michigan services that use the tracks from Chicago into Indiana, before branching off.
Thanks Allen... I've heard of the delays the notorious Norfolk Southern provided and now I've experienced it first hand......BD

Hi Fellas, haven't visited here in a while.

The Mrs and I are going to be catching 30(28) in Toledo Wednesday night and then taking one of the Regionals from WAS to FBG to pick up a van we're buying. I've been monitoring 30s pathetic performance as of the last several days and will report back in after the trip to let yas know how it went. Haven't been on an overnight run since '94!

I've got a roomette booked and they better not try and stick me into "steerage", or somebodies gonna get an earfull! :angry: :angry: :angry:

MichiganFoamer said:
Hi Fellas, haven't visited here in a while.
The Mrs and I are going to be catching 30(28) in Toledo Wednesday night and then taking one of the Regionals from WAS to FBG to pick up a van we're buying. I've been monitoring 30s pathetic performance as of the last several days and will report back in after the trip to let yas know how it went. Haven't been on an overnight run since '94!

I've got a roomette booked and they better not try and stick me into "steerage", or somebodies gonna get an earfull!   :angry:   :angry:   :angry:
MichiganFoamer....Just be sure the correct month is on your tickets and not like our return trip from NYP. "Steerage" can be hell on a bad back and it took a few days to get the "crick" out of my neck.... :(

I also hope your not having to board in the middle of the night like the Toledo people did when we went through there twice in the last couple of weeks.

Hi Boxcar Dummy!

I actually read your trip report...and I think I've checked the dates on our tickets at least 3-4 time since I got home this morning. :lol:

Used to do a lot of fanning in the Swanton/Bryan, OH area back in the '90s. Just can't seem to find the time to do so as much lately. Things have never been quite the same down there since NS took over anyways IMHO. :( 30 and 48 used to always be treated as the "grand finale" to the evening show. Sure wish I could've rode 30 back in the "good old days" when she was still sporting the Heritage Dome, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Oh yeah, and just to keep this thread on-topic, 30(26) departed CHI tonight @ 6:09PM, 34 minutes off the advertised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back