Capitol Limited, ARB-TOL-WAS and back, Feb. 2013

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, time to begin this trip report, which will be in sections. Can't write it all tonight. The quest was for a train trip, within a budget, for a family adventure while the kids were off school last week, to celebrate a birthday for Michigan Son at the end of this month, after which said son is no longer half fare :unsure: After much discussion and some unrealistic ideas contributed by Michigan Kids, we settled on a visit to our nation's capital, much hyped by Michigan Mom and eventually voted in. We had a voucher to use as partial payment and there was the bus connection... one or both of these factors resulted in a paper ticket being necessary, so one more trip where MM had to keep track of tickets. No worries!

We were given a ride to the Ann Arbor train station by Michigan Ex-Husband who hung out with the kids for a few minutes before the bus arrived. It was weird to be embarking on our journey at 8 pm at night, but the timing worked out well as we had other obligations earlier in the afternoon. The Wolverine to Chicago was a bit delayed and we got to see the train boarding and departing. After that the waiting area cleared and there was just a handful of us waiting for the bus to TOL. The station agent and driver put everyone's bags in the hold as we boarded. The weather was clear and the driver advised everyone of the ETAs into Dearborn, Detroit and Toledo Amtrak stations. Nothing was shown on the TV screens, maybe the driver didn't want the distraction or maybe the system wasn't working. No matter, it was a good time for a catnap. We arrived in TOL at 10:10 pm and everyone filed into the station.

TOL Amtrak station is interesting in a surreal sort of way. It is more spacious than the A2 station, by far, but the seating is more limited. Instead of rows of chairs, there are high backed, long padded benches. This comes in handy if someone wants to stretch out and nap during a delay, but results in less seating given the space available in the building. I'll write more about TOL for our return trip. (Let's just say that at 5 am it becomes even more surreal.) For now, we noticed there were restrooms, vending machines, some tables w/chairs and a few (very few) outlets available. This time of year, in the cold night, we were just grateful to walk into a heated waiting area. "Well, kids," said MM, cheerfully, "We'll be boarding our train in less than an hour!"

Ah, that was not to be. Right on cue, the TOL station agent, an older, somewhat implacable-appearing woman, made an announcement. The Cap was running 2 hours late out of CHI, had been held for connections from the West, and was expected in TOL at 1245 am. There was the usual blurb about trains making up time. Why do they bother with that? Does anyone care if the train gets to DC an hour late? No, it's more about boarding at 11 pm instead of 1 am. Whatever. It was at this moment that MM filed the TOL bus connection experience in the "Never Again' category. No more updates or announcements were made, other than the bag check announcement. SO, almost 3 hours to kill. I went up to the agent window and asked her if there was anything we could walk to, any place to eat. While not a normal meal time, ordering food does kill time. The agent, almost cracking a smile, said, "Do you have a car?" Well no... we arrived on the bus. So the answer was "No.". An hour or so later, I went to the window again and asked if there was any update. The headshake "No" again. At 1248, 3 minutes past the quoted time, and in response to pressure from the kids, MM approached the window for a third time to ask for an update. "Just as before" came the response, "12:50." OK, great! That isn't 12:45, but great! Clearly no time got made up so far. 12:50 came and went. No announcements. Notice, now. No passengers appeared worried or petrubed in the slightest, so I am fully prepared to admit this is soley Michigan Mom's problem. At 12:58, the Cap came roaring in. The agent then made an announcement for the arrival. MI Daughter was puzzled and said,"Mom, they didn't say anything until after it got here." I said, "Honey, the important thing is , it's here." We headed out eagerly into the dark cold and made our way to our sleeping car. Our SCA, Emmanuel, was there to greet us and direct everyone to their rooms. We got situated as the train whistle sounded and the Cap started to make its way out of TOL. The beds were ready in our roommettes and we settled in for the night very quickly. MI Son was thrilled to get into his room (prefers these to the BR) after I wiped everything with sanitizer, and MI Daughter fell asleep very quickly in our other roomette. I couldn't sleep right away despite being tired and enjoyed watching the landscape go by, sitting at the far end of the bed while MI Daughter slept. Our upper level roomettes were quiet and comfortable. For future, we'd be happy with either upper or lower. Eventually I had to nap for a couple hours but awoke early, and went to see if coffee was ready which it was...thank you Eamannuel... Enjoyed the fresh hot coffee while the kids slept in and the train traversed beautiful views of mountains, farms, forests, valleys, water frozen to form icicles and frozen waterfalls, More tomorrow!

Enjoyed your Trip Report #1.

1) We have had Emanuel on a couple of our CL trips and he is very good, efficient and helpful. :)

2) Usually there is little makeup time before TOL on the CL eastbound. The padding is between CLE and PGH for the most part. And of course, between Rockville and DC. :)

3) Although we use CLE as our boarding station, we have spent some time in TOL changing trains (often) and for National Train Day in May. It is a neat old station.

4) Yes, there is no place close to get anything to eat. I believe you can get a pizza delivered there if you have the time :)

Look forward to the second edition of your trip report :p

So, let the kids sleep in since Emmanuel had advised the diner service was for breakfast only, and would close at 10:30. I found this a bit odd with the delay, but maybe they expected to make up enough time to arrive closer to 12:30 in WAS. There was obvious padding in the timetable with an hour allocated to the 16 miles between WAS and the station right before that. Kids got up by 8, first MI Daughter who then went to bang in the sleeper door and annoy MI Son. We went to the diner which was almost deserted and ordered breakfast from the friendly staff. The LSA even came by to chat for a minute, very pleasant guy. Son and I had the omeletts, Daughter had pancakes from the kids' menu. Everything excellent and there is really nothing like watching the landscape rolling by while enjoying a good meal. Went back to our roomettes to relax until WAS. It seemed a bit warm in the compartments and the temp controls did not have any discernable effect. Daughter and I liked the warmth but Son eventually came over to our room to advise he thought he might die from the heat. How teenagers love to exaggerate. Anyway I rang for Emmanuel so we could get some cups of ice, and he brought us enough for 3 full cups of ice. I took that opportunity to give him his tip since I figured things could get hectic on arrival. We girls donated our cups of ice to Oven-Boy and he was happy to sip ice water in his room while reading his textbook. (I kid you not. He takes homework on vacation. Very motivated student and not pushed by MM or MI Dad.). Daughter watched a movie on her DVD player but MM doesn't do anything on trains but stare out the window and appreciate seeing new terrain. One positive aspect of the delay was that there was more to see in the daylight hours! An announcement was eventually made that the diner would close at noon, and we made it into WAS at about 1:20 or so. I do think with the substantial delay, it should have been breakfast and lunch service, but that was a minor issue really. As we pull into WAS, checked around to make sure we had EVERYTHING before we trundled down to the lower level. Emmanuel had come to help with our bags but my son was happy to do all the heavy lifting. When the doors opened and passengers were detraining, son gasped, "My coat!" and ran back upstairs to get his winter jacket. Emmanuel, with an eyebrow subtly lifted, seemed to wonder why we weren't detraining, and suggested politely maybe we should have let him help with our bags. "Well, it's not that," I explained, "He just had to run up and get his jacket." Son came down looking very worried and said he couldn't find it. "What do you mean you can't find it?" I said. "There's no room to lose a winter coat in there!" By this time everyone had detrained. Emmanuel was still nearby and heard this so he stepped forward and said succintly, "CLOSET!" and MI Son ran back once again, this time returning with the coat. Emmanuel, you are a genius.

So now, we are in WAS. I won't cover our sightseeing in great detail, just give a few highlights, but will mention the METRO system, and an interesting problem with my AGR Chase MC, in the appropriate AGR forum.

Sightseeing: We visited several attractions in depth and walked by many landmarks, cold be damned, and MI Mom was not sympathetic to feet being tired either. There was too much to see and not enough time!

We spent time in 3 of the Smithsonian museums: Natural History, American History and the Smithsonian Castle, to get a brief overview before setting out. I tried to pick a variety of activities, some the kids liked more than they thought they might, some the opposite. I made sure to cover the American History museum in detail, it seemed there something for everyone. Since Son is studying WWI, we stopped by the Americans at War exhibit for the tie-in. He liked it. Daughter and I liked the First Ladies inaugural gowns, but son didn't. Both kids were not as enchanted as I was by the Natural History museum the next day, but they were good sports. They actually liked it better when we left the museum for another walk before heading back to Metro. Both loved figuring out our transportation and which color lines to transfer to.

We walked by the Library of Congress and the Capitol, before touring the Supreme Court building. Great lecture about the highest court of the land. Justices not in session that day alas. Next time!!

One full afternoon at the National Zoo. One of my favorite places on earth. Everyone loved this.

One morning for a walk through Arlington Cemetery. Wanted the kids to experience and feel the history and significance of this hallowed ground, and the real costs of freedom. Beginning of dialogue about what freedom means.

Walked by the White House and Washington monument, too cold to go farther and feet were giving out. Kids are so soft nowadays. Stories of how much I used to walk had no effect.

That concludes our touristy highlights!

Metro system: Unless you are only going to be there for 2 days, buy the 7 day short trip pass. Most of your sightseeing excursions will be short trips, and the pass applies for peak and off peak times so you don't need to obsess about that. The 7 day pass is 35$/person and pays for itself during the third day. 1 day pass is 14$. It certainly is possible to spend less, if you limit your train riding to one roundtrip a day and use the SmartTrip option, Not using the Smarttrip card adds 1$ surcharge to the fare, I think if you buy the card online prior to your trip they give you a credit, to offset the initial surcharge - really a hassle for a casual tourist. Again if you are staying downtown which we did not, your Metro expenses may well be lower on an as needed basis. I found that the hotel rates in Arlington are lower enough that it is worth it to do all sightseeing via Metro. The 7 day pass, even if it does work out to be a little more expensive, is worth it (to me anyway) not having the headache of nickel and dime planning of transportation costs, just hop on and off however many times a day you choose. It also has the effect of opening up more sightseeing options as you make the most of your pass, riding to different locations to see different things. For a 4 day visit, your daily Metro cost would be $8.75; for a 5 day trip, only 7$ a day. All 7 days on the pass, 5$ a day! My final note on the Metro, as AU members have said, be prepared to move to the right on the escalators to avoid being trampled. This "Move to the right" mentality is baked into the local culture, and in MM's opinion, greatly overdone. Who is that important that they have to save 5 seconds of time on the escalator? This will not make or break the transfer to the next train. During our weekday visit, only one important Washington person pushed their way in between daughter and I, and another banged into our luggage which forced my knee into the wall of the escalator. Quite painful but no blood. On weekends, with throngs of tourists, the important person won't have much choice anyway. Anyway, we got the hang of it soon after the knee incident and stayed to the right, even though I think it's ridiculous. But maybe that is why MI Mom will never be an important person.

Part 3, the Return, later this evening.

When you said your son forgot his coat, my first thought was that it was in the closet, and therefore out of site.

We Mid-westerners have to get used to the "stay on the right--everyone is in a hurry"--loud and boisterous people we encounter on the coasts :p

If they just mellowed out and enjoyed the ride, their blood pressures would be much lower :giggle:

Enjoyed Part 2- glad you found the coat....

Part 3 of 3, Returning home. We check out of our hotel and take one last Metro ride to Union station. Low bucket BR booked, thank goodness, which got us access to Club Acela, a delightful quiet lounge in which to wait for your train. MI Son elected to skip the tour of the station and its many shops, so he stayed in the Club with his electronics. MI Daughter and I walked around and were amazed at the architecture, scope and grandeur of this train station. Chicago could use this amount of space and variety. Not only is there a shopping mall that could stand alone....purely as a shopping mall... but there is also the world's largest food court on the lower level. No, MI Mom does not have facts to back up that last statement. Yes, MI Mom has been told other times that she needs to get out more. it's a pretty darned impressive food court folks. After days of determinedly walking by all of the places that offer free samples on a toothpick, of different sauces coating the rubbery chicken, MI Mom capitulated and bought some of the BBQ variety. Kids were already full from breakfast and various junk food. Son actually had reminded me it was best to wait for the dinner on the train. Should have listened. Well, I enjoyed the BBQ flavored chicken with the 2 sides that were all probably chock full of harmful additives and genetically modified ingredients. It was vacation. This will become important later. So after looking through the mall, my little girl and I headed back to Club Acela and we assembled our belongings. The train was on time... of course.... knowing our arrival time into TOL was 5 am, we were sort of hoping for a delay out of WAS. it was not to be. We walk to our sleeper which is on the far end of the train and guess who we find to be our SCA... the efficient and personable Emanuel. He remembered us and was very gracious. The entire train seemed very lightly booked however when we were getting settled in Br E, the immediately adjacent BR "D' was occupied, and we often heard the occupant. not sure why "A" gets a bad rap, I much prefer it over "E". Anyway, as we wait for the rest of the train to board, the heat becomes noticeable. Even for us girls, it was a tad uncomfortable, and my son was visibly suffering. Emmanuel appeared with the ice bucket and once again, we get three plastic cups filled with ice which are all donated to the young man in our group so he could cool off with ice water. i was casting about for a tip and found a 2$ bill that we gave to Emanuel for being so thoughtful. Then right on schedule, the Cap pulls out of Union station and the temps start to become comfortable. Scenery is quite captivating and we all feel a little sadness about leaving DC where we had such a marvelous experience. The dining car LSA comes by to take our reservation and we go with 6 pm, not wishing to dine late because of an early wake up and a Redwing game at 7 that MI Son was hoping to listen to, and not too early because MM feels like a bloated sod after the aforementioned BBQ chicken. Son really enjoyed being able to say, 'i told you so" numerous times. Daughter was not concerned about any of this as she was busy arranging her belongings and saying farewell to DC. As the train picked up speed, I looked forward to seeing the picturesque Maryland stations. Got some good pictures if I can figure out how to upload them here. It was truly, many moments of visual magic. It looked as though some parts of the country have remained the same over decades, which is very heartening. As the kids settled in, I tried to talk them into going to the SSL for a bit, and finally headed over there alone to watch the sunset. By this time it was 5:45 so I went back to our room to collect the kids for dinner. We got to the diner and again, uncrowded. I don't think we could ever tire of the thrill of having a meal together on the train. These are the experiences that make memories, then again the entire trip was like that. So my son ordered the steak, daughter elected a cheese pizza from the kid menu, and i had the half chicken. Unfortunately, still full from lunch, prompting more "I told you so" from grinning children, I just gave up and called for 2-Go container. Now, I am not recommending anyone else do this because I don't want to be sued if someone gets food poisoning but i kept that chicken until the next morning when we got home and had it for breakfast. There was ice involved, and a microwave at the end. Waste not, want not. But do not try this at home. oK so going back, we are finished in the diner and leave our tip before heading back to the room. Darkness has fallen and we all take turns showering and changing into clean clothes for sleeping. I picked out stuff we could just wake up in, and leave the train in, like sweatpants and long sleeved Ts. The conductor knocked and advised we would be awakened a half hour before TOL, at 430, and I blithely assured him all we needed were 10 minutes. Emanuel had also stopped by to confirm. Well, it seemed like a good idea, to maximize sleep time, right? oh, what a joke that turned out to be. Anyway after a bit more relaxing in our sleeper, feeling clean and refreshed, we decide it's time to get to bed, around 9:30. Now we are entering the Twilight Zone. Younger readers may not be familiar, but MI Mom is old. Seriously, the positive in this experience was that, if I were a screenwriter for the Twilight Zone, i would have gotten several good ideas from this trip and really, gained a bit of insight into some of those old episodes. Starting at around 9:30, the concert of SCA doorbell calls began. SO not kidding here. Never heard them on any of the other trains, Cap going East, EB in both directions. This was a whole new experience. The SCA call button produced a loud clanging "Ding-Dong" chime and it kept happening all night. Sleep was impossible other than an hour or so at a time With all the empty rooms and roomettes, who the !@#!! was doing all this ringing!? And for what? We rang once for Emanuel to put the beds down, but MI son volunteered to attempt it himself and we all started trying to figure what to do. One tip, if you don't need the ladder, slide it under the lower bunk. After about a half hour, we finally got it, and were almost finished when Emanuel appeared, very apologetic. He reviewed our handiwork and we said goodnight. All night the doorbell chime kept going off, more so when stopped at a station. I felt so sorry for the SCA having to be up and responding to all of this activity on the lightly booked train. Dozed off and on and it seemed tha after about 5 minutes of sleep came the knock on the door to wake up for TOL. Hmm... maybe 10 minutes not really enough, since I had to keep MI kids focused on getting up, making sure we had everything, etc. We couldn't figure out how to return the beds to the daytime config and my son's history book was underneath the bed so we were panicked and trying to fish it out. Finally got it and took the bags out of the BR. The Cap arrived inTOL very quickly and we stumbled downstairs, then outside and into the TOL station wondering if we forgot anything on the train. We collapsed on the padded benches and then I realized we had not given Emanuel his tip. The train was still in the station so MI Mom looked but could not find the 10$ bill that was left. As the Cap chugged out of the station heading for Chicago, MM could only resolve to make it up to him another time. The cash has not yet been found but I'm sure it's around here someplace. Or maybe not. MM once threw 100$ into a trash can (but fortunately realized the mistake in time). So.... TOL. Maintained but TwilightZone ish. Amtrak and local Rail organizations literature, timetables, and kids activity booklets in the newstands. The aforementioned long padded benches are a curious underuse of space. 2 CRT screens hang from the ceiling, no sound and nothing recognizeable on either screen. Lettering over one wall of the station reads "TELEPHONES" a throwback to the days of pay phones, but with no phones there and only an empty wooden phone booth frame attached to the wall, looks very twilight zone-ish. Well the bus boards on time an hour and a half later..then we end up waiting for the late arriving LSL.... MM was a bit annoyed at how all these delays worked against us... but again, not worth complaining about. LSL also had some type of bag issue. When finally the bus leaves, late, the driver graciously plays movies that help kill the time. It was a great family experience, but if we ever do this again, it is off to Chicago!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Enjoyed reading your report. Thanks for sharing it with us.

My final note on the Metro, as AU members have said, be prepared to move to the right on the escalators to avoid being trampled. This "Move to the right" mentality is baked into the local culture, and in MM's opinion, greatly overdone. Who is that important that they have to save 5 seconds of time on the escalator? This will not make or break the transfer to the next train. During our weekday visit, only one important Washington person pushed their way in between daughter and I, and another banged into our luggage which forced my knee into the wall of the escalator. Quite painful but no blood. On weekends, with throngs of tourists, the important person won't have much choice anyway. Anyway, we got the hang of it soon after the knee incident and stayed to the right, even though I think it's ridiculous. But maybe that is why MI Mom will never be an important person.
Actually that escalator etiquette can be found in NYC and other cities too.

And it can well be the difference between catching the train pulling into the station and the next one 5 minutes later. Some also see it as exercise too.

Michigan Mom, I enjoyed your report immensely. I hope you and the kids had a great trip.

As far as for the buses vs Chicago. I agree that Chicago may seem like an out of the way thing, but compared to the buses, I think it would probably be less stressful.

Interesting trip - I've done the Cap a couple times TOL-WAS via the ARB Thruway connection as well. I was lucky that the EB CL was close to on-time for both of my trips, and the WB CL was also on time when I took it (though I was hoping for a bit of a delay, like you...) I did have to wait for a delayed LSL for the bus departure, though...

I do think that backtracking to CHI would be less stressful - though for me the bus meant I could take less time off work. Not the best experience, but tolerable. Though I probably won't be doing the CL (or any eastern train) for a while since I moved to San Diego. For the noise, I'd try bringing earplugs next time - they helped dramatically on my LD trips...

We never needed earplugs before, but we are going to follow your suggestion and have some handy next time, just in case. The more I think about it, the more I wonder if it wasn't from being close to the transdorm. Maybe that's what the SCAs have to hear all night. We had not heard the bells on other trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back