Capitol Limited Dining Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amy's Organic Veggie Burger: $7.75A natural organic veggie burger patty served on a sesame bun with lettuce, tomato, red onion, pickle, chips and optional cheddar cheese.
Finally, a veggie burger back on the menu (Gardenburgers were still on the menu, but recalled and not available due to the tomato scare for much of the spring/summer), and a big improvement over the Gardenburger IMO! Amy's burgers are by far my favorite widely-available veggie burger.

Interesting that they're down to a single appetizer, but haven't eliminated the category altogether. Problems keeping the shrimp cocktail fresh, or it just didn't sell? I thought the mozzarella sticks were popular. Oh well.

I'm always bemused by how "chatty" the Amtrak menus are. I don't think I've ever seen such a folksy menu in a restaurant. Anyone know if there's a reason for this?

Last edited by a moderator:
And why is it always CHEDDAR cheese? Seriously, no American? You're Amtrak- not Chedrak...

Always with the cheddar...

And why is it always CHEDDAR cheese? Seriously, no American? You're Amtrak- not Chedrak...
That's because a proper Cheddar is a thing of joy..... You colonials need educating in all things 'fromage' :p

Could be worse.... could be that cheese slice cheese flavoured junk beloved of fast food hellholes.....

...All Luncheon entrees include coffee, tea, or milk.

(All Dinner Entrees include a small salad with dressing, warm roll and coffee, tea, or milk.)

*Note that alcohol and appetizer selections are available as an extra purchase and are not included in first class meal packages.
Interesting, no mention of soft drinks like ice tea nor soda (pop). :unsure:

Leftovers from the Great Government Cheese Give-Away of the '80s. ;)
I love cheese... it is the ONE cheese I cannot stand... And its on everything!
Then just pull the Jack Nicholson routine from Easy Rider, order a salad with just the Parmesan cheese, hold the salad, dressing, and roll, and a burger hold the cheese?!? ;)

That or snatch up a Cheese and Crackers Tray from the Lounge Car, and use the Bonbel or Gouda in that on your burger!

Then just pull the Jack Nicholson routine from Easy Rider, order a salad with just the Parmesan cheese, hold the salad, dressing, and roll, and a burger hold the cheese?!? ;)
I once ordered a glass of milk at a Pizzaria Uno, and was billed for a "White Russian -vodka -kahlua"! :blink:

Meanwhile, on Amtrak I once ordered a white russian and was billed for two cocktails, because it included both vodka and kahlua. The server neglected to mention this aspect of billing when I ordered (and told me "all cocktails $n", where I forget if $n was $5 or $10), so I was somewhat put out!

That's because a proper Cheddar is a thing of joy..... You colonials need educating in all things 'fromage' :p

Could be worse.... could be that cheese slice cheese flavoured junk beloved of fast food hellholes.....
They call it cheddar, but it could just as well be Swiss or Muenster or Colby or plastic. The United States has some of the finest cheesemakers in the world, just as it has the finest brewers. Alas, we're known for American cheese and watery lager.

They call it cheddar, but it could just as well be Swiss or Muenster or Colby or plastic. The United States has some of the finest cheesemakers in the world, just as it has the finest brewers. Alas, we're known for American cheese and watery lager.
'Swiss' is an Americanisation of what are superb products. So where are these world class cheesemakers in the USA? I adore cheese ('proper' cheese, that is, not mass produced tasteless rubbish), yet never see any in your restaurants or food outlets. Must be very local.

As for beer, well, I do enjoy a glass of Anchor Steam or Sam Adams, but 'finest in the world'??

You have heard of places like Belgium and Germany have you?

So where are these world class cheesemakers in the USA? I adore cheese ('proper' cheese, that is, not mass produced tasteless rubbish), yet never see any in your restaurants or food outlets. Must be very local.
There are loads of quality cheese-producers in the US; you would, indeed, need to buy from local/small specialty shops, rather than your average supermarket or chain store. Quality restaurants, at least in my area (Portland, Maine), are offering very good cheese course selections as well. New England seems to be developing quite the knack for goat cheese, of all things.

So where are these world class cheesemakers in the USA? I adore cheese ('proper' cheese, that is, not mass produced tasteless rubbish), yet never see any in your restaurants or food outlets. Must be very local.
There are loads of quality cheese-producers in the US; you would, indeed, need to buy from local/small specialty shops, rather than your average supermarket or chain store. Quality restaurants, at least in my area (Portland, Maine), are offering very good cheese course selections as well. New England seems to be developing quite the knack for goat cheese, of all things.
We have good butter and farmer's cheese in Amish Ohio-

I love grilled butter cheese sandies!!

But cheddar? Blech!

We have good butter and farmer's cheese in Amish Ohio-

I love grilled butter cheese sandies!!

But cheddar? Blech!
I use to live near Colby, WI, where they make, Colby Cheese. But the best part is french fried cheese curds from the curds of the Colby making process.

'Swiss' is an Americanisation of what are superb products. So where are these world class cheesemakers in the USA? I adore cheese ('proper' cheese, that is, not mass produced tasteless rubbish), yet never see any in your restaurants or food outlets. Must be very local.As for beer, well, I do enjoy a glass of Anchor Steam or Sam Adams, but 'finest in the world'??

You have heard of places like Belgium and Germany have you?
Go to a specialty cheese store in any large American city and start sampling (hint: if they don't give out samples, find another cheese store). You'll be surprised. Lately I've been enjoying blue cheese from Rogue Creamery, Point Reyes, and (an old favorite) Maytag in Iowa. Carr Valley has a nice 4- and 5-year old cheddar, if you're into the Wisconsin thing.

WRT beer: I have drunk a lot of beer in Germany, Belgium, and the United Kingdom. I've drunk gueze so sour it could strip paint in a little cafe in Bruegel country. I've sampled four wonderful stouts from small breweries in Hereford (only a pound a pint) when the rest of the pub was drinking alcopops and American Budweiser. I've spent any number of evenings arguing with Germans that Budvar and Pilsner Urquell were superior to any of their pilsners.

Find me a German or Czech pils as good as Victory Prima Pils from Downingtown, Pa.

Find me a Belgian beer as inventive as Mo Betta Bretta from Pizza Port in Solana Beach, Cal.

American brewers brew every style in the world, from mild to doppelbock. Try to find a cask-conditioned ale in Germany, or a decent British-brewed bock.

I'll grant you that the average beer in Europe is better than the average beer in the U.S., and probably that's also true of cheese (I don't remember particularly falling in love with the cheese at Sainsbury or Tesco). In fact, I mentioned that in my original post. My point was that in these fields, as in much of American culture, the really excellent (and often small and local) products are obscured by the vast sea of mediocre industrial production.

Obligatory train content: the Empire Builder wine tasting does use Minnesota cheese (from Faribault, I believe). Sorry, Wisconsin. I just wish that the lounge car had a few bottles of Great Northern Porter, brewed in St. Paul a few hundred yards from the Empire Builder's route.

American brewers brew every style in the world, from mild to doppelbock. Try to find a cask-conditioned ale in Germany, or a decent British-brewed bock.
But that's the whole thing. If I want German beer I will go to Germany, not America. Doing high quality copies is one thing, developing your own style is a lot better. I want to see what you can do, rather than how well you can copy someone.

But that's the whole thing. If I want German beer I will go to Germany, not America. Doing high quality copies is one thing, developing your own style is a lot better. I want to see what you can do, rather than how well you can copy someone.
But you have to compare an artisan's skill you have to compare apples to apples. That's why events like the Great American Beer Festival divide entered beers into categories. Originality is much harder to judge. And while you may enjoy traveling to Belgium or Germany to drink their beers, as do I, I am also happy to live in a country where producers aren't hide-bound traditionalists, limited to certain ingredients or styles.

In any case none of this says anything to your mistaken assumption that the United States produces neither superlative cheese nor beer.

Little of which can be found on Amtrak, alas, except in my compartment.

Oy veigh, its all a matter of bloody opinion. I think nobody makes decent beer, because I hate the bloody taste of it. If you don't like American beer, Neil, don't drink it. I don't. If American's like American beer, than its damned right fine.

Frankly, I think almost all British food is so bloody inedible, we should be using it for bleedin' cattle feed. Marmite? BLECH! I get nauseous thinking of it. Do I go around making such disparaging remarks in places they don't belong vis a vis your culture? No, I don't. Please don't go around doing it needlessly and pointlessly.

I think nobody makes decent beer, because I hate the bloody taste of it.
That explains a lot......... :ph34r:

Frankly, I think almost all British food is so bloody inedible, we should be using it for bleedin' cattle feed. Marmite? BLECH! I get nauseous thinking of it. Do I go around making such disparaging remarks in places they don't belong vis a vis your culture? No, I don't. Please don't go around doing it needlessly and pointlessly.
That's a bit funny coming from someone who shoves his blinkered opinions about everything down everyone's throats on a regular basis!

Oh, and your bacon is rubbish, pancakes are never a breakfast item, you write the date the wrong way round and your spelling is awful. Color?? :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back