Capitol Limited discussion 2023 Q4 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Capitol Limited, DC to Chicago, overnight 9/27 to 9/28, sleeping car 2900 lost all toilets overnight because some idiot stuffed a washcloth down a toilet [according to my attendant].

I would not be surprised if customer relations are overwhelmed with voucher requests.

The word got around, because on the Eagle from Chi later on the 28th, the opening announcement was a warning from the conductor about what goes in a toilet and what does not, and she explained that a whole car could lose its toilets for the duration from one failure to heed the advice.

I am riding 30(12) out of South Bend - heading to WAS. it's the first time I've ridden this train in several years. My expectations were low, but it's been great.

This is my first trip in a refreshed Superliner II. And I will say, it's a little bit nicer than expected.

The new upholstery in the roomette and the new curtains are nice. That in combination with the bedding that they updated a couple years ago, makes a real difference.

There are new fabricated trim pieces (and updated lighting?) on the ceiling. And it looks like they even added some rubberized trim pieces to mitigate the normal rattling of the folding table when stowed.

Yes, new equipment can't come fast enough. But this seems like a pretty decent update.

The food is still sub-par, but I am a fan of the CCC and enjoy eating the meals in there.

Big shout out to the SCA as well. Woke up to the heavenly smell of fresh coffee at 6am!

Attachments

• IMG_1448.jpeg
    IMG_1448.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1451.jpeg
    IMG_1451.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1450.jpeg
    IMG_1450.jpeg
    445.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 71885262279__B5DC6ADC-7D11-410D-A8B6-5B213656148F.jpeg
    71885262279__B5DC6ADC-7D11-410D-A8B6-5B213656148F.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
@ IndyLions

Could you report back regarding the consist. Specifically, is the lone sleeper in the front or back. Without a baggage car, transition sleeper, and possibly a second engine, between the first engine and sleeping car, the noise is unbearable. Not to mention the diesel fumes without the transition car. I know this is asked a lot; but the answer seems to change frequently.

I'm leaving for Florida around Dec 1 and would hate to do the unmentionable, fly.

Based on your reply, I've booked the CL and SS. Now if they change their mind by the time of my trip, I won't hold you responsible.:)

Are they running a Sightseer Lounge again on the Cap yet? Last I heard they weren’t, but wondering if that’s slated to change anytime soon. I’ve got a trip on it next March, and having a proper SSL would be wonderful.

Are they running a Sightseer Lounge again on the Cap yet? Last I heard they weren’t, but wondering if that’s slated to change anytime soon. I’ve got a trip on it next March, and having a proper SSL would be wonderful.
It should change at some point between now and next summer if what Mr. Chestler said at the RPA meeting is to be believed.

From the various railcams that I watch, I haven't seen an SSL on 29/30 in a while.

I wouldn't expect one on your March trip, but it would be a nice idea as that route does see some nice scenery.

If a SSL is placed on the CL again, will the special split CCC/cafe/diner still be used or will it be changed to a full diner? If the split CCC/cafe/diner is kept, what happens to the cafe area in the lower part of the SSL (or the cafe service in the CCC/cafe/diner)?

Last edited:
They are restoring some Sightseers to service this year. However there are some caveats. One being supply chain continues to result in more cars sitting in Preventative Maintenance/Bad order status than at times prior to the pandemic (leading to less serviceable cars for the road). Another caveat affecting Superliner availability in general is the situation on CN between Chicago and Carbondale particularly with the Carbondale corridor service (Illini/Saluki.) In 2019 CN began requiring the use of Superliners on the line or accept a speed restriction and Illinois chose to pay Amtrak extra to use Superliners for that service. And the consist must have 7 Superliners so that means having to deadhead axle count Superliners behind the few revenue cars the trains have. Until/unless a better solution is found it will be difficult for Amtrak to return western routes to something resembling pre-pandemic capacity with two food service cars on each train while Superliners continue to have to be used to Carbondale. The direction they seem to be going is some sort of shunt enhancement solution that would eliminate type and axle count restrictions altogether. According to Mr. Chestler an approach is being tested that has been showing promise during testing but I'd add he "didn't want to jinx it." So at this point there's no timeframe on that. If they don't shift directions and pull the Superliners and force Illinois to accept a longer schedule until the permanent solution becomes available it will continue to affect what's available for other trains if they continue to use Superliners here. So its tough to predict what consists will be in general this time next year.

They are restoring some Sightseers to service this year. However there are some caveats. One being supply chain continues to result in more cars sitting in Preventative Maintenance/Bad order status than at times prior to the pandemic (leading to less serviceable cars for the road). Another caveat affecting Superliner availability in general is the situation on CN between Chicago and Carbondale particularly with the Carbondale corridor service (Illini/Saluki.) In 2019 CN began requiring the use of Superliners on the line or accept a speed restriction and Illinois chose to pay Amtrak extra to use Superliners for that service. And the consist must have 7 Superliners so that means having to deadhead axle count Superliners behind the few revenue cars the trains have. Until/unless a better solution is found it will be difficult for Amtrak to return western routes to something resembling pre-pandemic capacity with two food service cars on each train while Superliners continue to have to be used to Carbondale. The direction they seem to be going is some sort of shunt enhancement solution that would eliminate type and axle count restrictions altogether. According to Mr. Chestler an approach is being tested that has been showing promise during testing but I'd add he "didn't want to jinx it." So at this point there's no timeframe on that. If they don't shift directions and pull the Superliners and force Illinois to accept a longer schedule until the permanent solution becomes available it will continue to affect what's available for other trains if they continue to use Superliners here. So its tough to predict what consists will be in general this time next year.
CN should be sued. The Horizon, Amfleet and new Siemens cars are rated to 125 mph. CN takes every opportunity to derail Amtrak in Quebec and Illinois. Again, sue and let Amtrak place its own cars.

CN should be sued. The Horizon, Amfleet and new Siemens cars are rated to 125 mph. CN takes every opportunity to derail Amtrak in Quebec and Illinois. Again, sue and let Amtrak place its own cars.
Or maybe CN should go and see how every other RR in North America is able to get its grade crossings to work correctly with normal sized consists :rolleyes:

Hi all! I'm thinking about taking the CL in late December from D.C. to Chicago. I was going to ask what (if any) the major differences are between the CL and the Cardinal, but it appears all sleeper options on the Cardinal have sold out since I last looked on Friday. I have not yet done an Amtrak overnight sleeper trip (I've done one awful overnight coach trip St. Paul-Whitefish in the winter) and am excited about the opportunity to finally try it out.

Does anyone know what a reasonable roomette price WAS-CHI would usually be? Or at least a non-crazy price? Based on my research, it looks like a roomette is running ~$500 WAS-CHI at this time. I know late December is a very busy travel time and I wouldn't be booking that far in advance, but I also know with all of the "fare buckets" and weird pricing these days that it can be harder for the average person to know what is going on, price-wise.

Also, do you all recommend booking online, or by phone, when booking a long trip (would be Greensboro, NC to MSP) that includes a mix of coach and sleeper? I've seen recommendations to book sleeper accommodations over the phone but not certain why that is.

It seems like although the CL lacks traditional dining, I'd have the chance to be in an updated Superliner II, which is nice.

Thanks in advance for any insight you Amtrak-experts may have!

One of the differences is that the Cardinal has amfleet coaches, where the CL has superliner. With that being said, I know that you had mentioned a superliner II, which I would take over the amfleet II. The superliners do have more legroom and bigger windows (however, amfleet II windows are pretty big as well).

I'm torn on this decision for you, because both are a really nice routes, and I'm partial to amfleet II cars as well. Although, if I had a choice between taking amfleet and superliner, I would do the superliner. I would say go for the CL on this one.

One of the differences is that the Cardinal has amfleet coaches, where the CL has superliner. With that being said, I know that you had mentioned a superliner II, which I would take over the amfleet II. The superliners do have more legroom and bigger windows (however, amfleet II windows are pretty big as well).

I'm torn on this decision for you, because both are a really nice routes, and I'm partial to amfleet II cars as well. Although, if I had a choice between taking amfleet and superliner, I would do the superliner. I would say go for the CL on this one.
Thanks Chad, I appreciate it! I will definitely be taking the CL if I do choose to do Amtrak (which I hope to).
Do you have any experience with what a usual/reasonable price for a roomette is on the CL?

Thanks Chad, I appreciate it! I will definitely be taking the CL if I do choose to do Amtrak (which I hope to).
Do you have any experience with what a usual/reasonable price for a roomette is on the CL?
Latest observed fare buckets are in this post: Long Distance Train Coach & Sleeper Fares (Buckets)

Look under column "R" for Roomette, next to "CL".

"Reasonable" is subjective; it depends on how flexible you can be and how much work you're willing to put in searching fares on different days. I think 2nd lowest bucket is considered a good deal by most. Many will not travel in high or 2nd high bucket.

Latest observed fare buckets are in this post: Long Distance Train Coach & Sleeper Fares (Buckets)

Look under column "R" for Roomette, next to "CL".

"Reasonable" is subjective; it depends on how flexible you can be and how much work you're willing to put in searching fares on different days. I think 2nd lowest bucket is considered a good deal by most. Many will not travel in high or 2nd high bucket.
Aha, thank you very much! I am pretty new here so wasn't aware that people had assembled that resource for all trains. I will take a look.

It is very helpful to know that people consider the 2nd lowest bucket a good deal and what the general threshold is where some people won't travel! Thanks again for the thoughts/advice and info.

In response to your question about the roomettes, I personally do not. I usually only just travel coach as mine are short trips and not long distance.

Hi I'm new here.

I wanted to ask a question. a month ago I was on the capital limited and as we were traveling through Ohio in the dark on our way to Washington DC, we were about 1 hour behind schedule. Somewhere in Ohio I recall, we passed through a 20 to 30 yd long bright galvanized steel type building. as the train entered it, massive floodlights Turned on and lit up the inside of the train cars as if it was bright as daytime. as soon as we exited, the lights turned off.

Was wondering if anyone knew what this was about?

Hi I'm new here.

I wanted to ask a question. a month ago I was on the capital limited and as we were traveling through Ohio in the dark on our way to Washington DC, we were about 1 hour behind schedule. Somewhere in Ohio I recall, we passed through a 20 to 30 yd long bright galvanized steel type building. as the train entered it, massive floodlights Turned on and lit up the inside of the train cars as if it was bright as daytime. as soon as we exited, the lights turned off.

Was wondering if anyone knew what this was about?
It's a Train Inspection Portal, a new type defect detector.
https://www.csx.com/index.cfm/about-us/a-new-dimension-in-rail-safety-technology/

Last edited:
Back