Capitol Limited discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Upon reviewing the railcam at Chesterton, IN tonight, I saw that the #30 headed to DC (6/14/23) had the lounge car added to the end and included the cafe car as well.
View attachment 32855
(Plus, the phase III leading unit)
That Sightseer isn't in a position that indicates it's in service. It would be between the Diner/Lounge and the coach if it were.

It is probably a deadhead, although for the life of me I cannot figure out a reason for a Sightseer to be deadheaded to Washington. If they were adding them to the consist, they'd just start dispatching them out if Chicago in normal, in-service position and letting the first 29 with an SSL be the return of the first 30 consist with it.

If you look at the Elkhart Camera you can see people sitting upstaris. Yes, odd placement in the consist though. The conductor also appeared to be sticking their head out the window of the lounge to spot the stop.
For reference. You can see people working on their laptops.

Also, (doubt this has anything to do with this), 33002 is one of the only (if not the only) SSL that I have seen so far with a refreshed interior.

Image.png

According to a post on another forum this was added to accommodate east bound passengers from a previous late connection - so was actually acting as a coach. One time deal.
That would explain the positioning.

Interesting that Chicago had a roadworthy Sightseer just sitting around, since they are kind of short on them.

That would explain the positioning.

Interesting that Chicago had a roadworthy Sightseer just sitting around, since they are kind of short on them.
It sounds like now superliner diners are a problem again (which had led to them being pulled from CONO.) probably supply chain since diners have some unique aspects.

Upon looking at the railcam at Chesterton, IN tonight (6/15/23), it looks like #30 tonight is back to usual trainset (coach, cafe, sleeper). I'm assuming the makeup of the one with the loungecar was a one-time thing? I've also viewed the railcam at Shenandoah Junction, WV, and it looks like #29 is back to the same trainset as well.

Upon looking at the railcam at Chesterton, IN tonight (6/15/23), it looks like #30 tonight is back to usual trainset (coach, cafe, sleeper). I'm assuming the makeup of the one with the loungecar was a one-time thing? I've also viewed the railcam at Shenandoah Junction, WV, and it looks like #29 is back to the same trainset as well.
Yep. Above it was said that one was a replacement for a diner, and one was a sub-in coach for misconnected passengers.

Considering it’s flex,I’d rather have the Sightseer over a diner on the Capitol
A sightseer can’t serve flex meals as it has only a single microwave for preparation. The day they subbed it they were probably giving everyone a substitution or they were nuking the flex meals (which they aren’t supposed to do.) when they removed the diners from the CONO for a while they switched to a different packaged meal vendor which were microwave friendly - the flex meals are not microwave friendly so if you nuke them they are completely wrecked.

Last edited:
A sightseer can’t serve flex meals as it has only a single microwave for preparation. The day they subbed it they were probably giving everyone a substitution or they were nuking the flex meals (which they aren’t supposed to do.) when they removed the diners from the CONO for a while they switched to a different packaged meal vendor which were microwave friendly - the flex meals are not microwave friendly so if you nuke them they are completely wrecked.
Forget flex on the Capitol. How about a Sightseer instead of the diner and sleeper passengers can get their food from the cafe car,included. It’s a short trip and the cafe food is better than flex.

Forget flex on the Capitol. How about a Sightseer instead of the diner and sleeper passengers can get their food from the cafe car,included. It’s a short trip and the cafe food is better than flex.
Plus you’re starting and ending in large cities, so going west you could get something in Washington to eat on the train and in Chicago just go straight to one of their wonderful breakfast places.

Coming back, eat dinner before you board.

The only meal you might need to have on the train is breakfast going east, but a breakfast sandwich from the cafe will tide you over til you get to Washington and can go out for lunch.

Honestly, I'd prefer a discount on sleeper fares like the Star had and use the cafe/bring my own over Flex even when properly prepared.
Indeed. It’s one overnight and a morning each direction. Lower the sleeper prices to something reasonable (not $640 or so)from end to end and just eliminate dining. That high bucket for a one person roomette comes up quite often and is simply outrageous for that short a trip. Yeah supply and demand crap. Sick of hearing that!

Give it a couple more years and I predict flex is going to be a thing of the past.
Thr Capitol Limited is a relatively short trip for an LD train and travels between two major cities with many decent restaurants.

If there truly is a shortage of staff or of dining cars, why not take the dining car (even when traditional dining comes back) off the Capitol Limited (reduce sleeper prices as suggested above) and give it to the poor little Eaglette, which has to travel for ages and ages with nowhere to get a meal?

If there truly is a shortage of staff or of dining cars, why not take the dining car (even when traditional dining comes back) off the Capitol Limited (reduce sleeper prices as suggested above) and give it to the poor little Eaglette, which has to travel for ages and ages with nowhere to get a meal?
Both the Capitol and Eagle are running with the same superliner “diner-lounge”/cross country cafe car which also runs on the auto train as the coach food service car. Zephyr, Builder, Chief, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, City of New Orleans, and Auto train sleeper diner are conventional (non CCC) superliner diners and run with a separate lounge car.

I believe pre flex dining the cap and eagle both operated this same car type and cafe car was also operated out of the same car - and the train also had a non attended sightseer lounge which provided additional seating.

Last edited:
Both the Capitol and Eagle are running with the same superliner “diner-lounge”/cross country cafe car which also runs on the auto train as the coach food service car. Zephyr, Builder, Chief, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, City of New Orleans, and Auto train sleeper diner are conventional (non CCC) superliner diners and run with a separate lounge car.

I believe pre flex dining the cap and eagle both operated this same car type and cafe car was also operated out of the same car - and the train also had a non attended sightseer lounge which provided additional seating.
Thanks for the information — I had forgotten all about the CCC cars.

Both the Capitol and Eagle are running with the same superliner “diner-lounge”/cross country cafe car which also runs on the auto train as the coach food service car. Zephyr, Builder, Chief, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, City of New Orleans, and Auto train sleeper diner are conventional (non CCC) superliner diners
That is a distinction without a difference. The Diner/Lounges are converted Superliner diners that retain full galleys and are capable of supporting full traditional dining service. Back in the day, I have had traditional dining provided in Diner/Lounges on both the Capitol Limited and the CONO.

The issue is Flex versus Traditional regardless of whether it is provided in a Diner or a Diner/Lounge. And that against no sleeper "meal" service and providing only cafe service.

That is a distinction without a difference. The Diner/Lounges are converted Superliner diners that retain full galleys and are capable of supporting full traditional dining service. Back in the day, I have had traditional dining provided in Diner/Lounges on both the Capitol Limited and the CONO.

The issue is Flex versus Traditional regardless of whether it is provided in a Diner or a Diner/Lounge. And that against no sleeper "meal" service and providing only cafe service.
Well aware - the point was simply pointing out that the eagle is operating the same car as the cap. Well aware it can serve traditional dining.

I just boarded the Capitol Limited in Chicago around 5:00pm when I was feeling peopled out at my conference I checked the app. The 5:50pm Wolverine was sold-out. The Capitol Limited had released some lower-level seats and I was able to book one, never been so happy to pay the high bucket $38 price+ the South Shore Line took nearly 3 hours yesterday with the buying

Anyway at the back of the consist this evening is American View and a transition Sleeper for it. There wasn't anyone or doors open to American View so I think it's deadheading.

Curious how late were going to leave the Southwest Chief just arrived directly across platfrom and they told people not to change seats because we're waiting for poeple from the Chief.

Attachments

• 20230616_182455.jpg
    20230616_182455.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back