Capitol Limited discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like the time I rode a Turbo from Croton to NYP we were on track 2 and Metro North had a deadhead pacing us on track 4 totally obliterating the view of the Hudson 😕

The Horseshoe Curve is definitely worth seeing though. I got to see it in 1985 when I rode the Broadway Limited through there.
Is it on the north or south side of the train?

I wasn't able to actively view it on railcams yesterday, but did anyone else see that #30(11) had a phase.7 charger leading it from Chicago onwards? I have posted a capture from a railcam in Chesterton, IN below.

358627981_1675500929552616_394045957037740925_n.jpeg

From what I've been seeing from posts, this was the first run of the charger leading on its journey. I'm assuming that we'll be seen chargers leading 29/30 from here onwards?

I wasn't able to actively view it on railcams yesterday, but did anyone else see that #30(11) had a phase.7 charger leading it from Chicago onwards? I have posted a capture from a railcam in Chesterton, IN below.

View attachment 33101

From what I've been seeing from posts, this was the first run of the charger leading on its journey. I'm assuming that we'll be seen chargers leading 29/30 from here onwards?
I’ve seen pictures on FB of its arrival into WAS.

Most of the times I've ridden the Capitol it was because the sleeper rooms were significantly less expensive than on the Lake Shore, which otherwise would be a much more direct routing for me. The last time I rode it, in early 2020 right before the pandemic, I found a bedroom on the Capitol for about half the going rate for a roomette on the Lake Shore. But I'm guessing that seldom happens since the Capitol went to a single sleeper.

Train 30 the eastbound Capital Limited of July 30th 2023 had been canceled. Does anyone have any idea as to why it was canceled, the west bound trains have been arriving in Chicago.

Train 30 the eastbound Capital Limited of July 30th 2023 had been canceled. Does anyone have any idea as to why it was canceled, the west bound trains have been arriving in Chicago.
Train 29(29) never made it past Pittsburgh due to some unspecified equipment issue. It was almost 7 hours late into Pittsburgh. It was towed back to WAS. So there was no equipment in Chicago to run 30(30). Hence it was canceled.

Thanks for letting me know about what happened as I have been trying to find out more about it since last night. I have these friends who received an email from Amtrak notifying them of the cancellation and they normally would have been on that train however they cancelled their trip on Amtrak a few weeks ago as the wife was nervous about taking the train this time due to the numerous publicized frieght derailments over the last several months. They decided to drive to Florida instead this time.
Several months ago when they were on their way back from Florida train 29 was cancelled due to the freight derailment in Palestine Ohio so they had to be reroute on the Lake Shore Limited Via New York City instead of Via Washington Dc on the Capitol Limited the way they had been scheduled to go.
That's a shame that they are so short of equipment that they couldn't complete 29s trip to Chicago and instead needed to return the train back to Washington DC.

Been reading through this thread and surprised at how short the consist is now, though it also helps explain the prices I have been seeing. I'm considering the CL for part of my return journey for a potential convention trip in November. On November 20, the cost of going CHI-WKB is $169 if doing coach the whole way, but doing a roomette on the CL leg makes the price jump to $510! The price of the roomette segment on its own is currently $405 and the train is only 20% full as of now. I'm sure part of this has to do with Thanksgiving, but the short consist must be driving up the prices too. Also noticed that the CL seems to be sold out for the next couple of days here in August. Unsure if roomette would be worth it for a 9 hour train ride segment when the price is so high and the food is still the infamous flex meals, though the chances of having no seatmate in coach will probably be slim to none.

Unsure if roomette would be worth it for a 9 hour train ride segment when the price is so high and the food is still the infamous flex meals, though the chances of having no seatmate in coach will probably be slim to none.
I can see your point. It's over $300 difference, minus what you spend on your own meals. I would probably only get 4-5 hours of sleep anyway, but I might consider what I need to do on arrival.

I can see your point. It's over $300 difference, minus what you spend on your own meals. I would probably only get 4-5 hours of sleep anyway, but I might consider what I need to do on arrival.
I also would probably only get 4-5 hours of sleep and I can be fine on that little amount of sleep. Where I have problems is things like my LSL trip in coach where I only got less than 2 hours of sleep. Looking back I realize I should have brought things that could have helped like a neck pillow and maybe some kind of sleeping aid. I was able to get to my hotel room, but once I laid down on that bed to take a short "nap", I was out for hours and missed out on doing any sightseeing that day.

Back to this potential CL trip, I would just need to stay awake after I get off the CL long enough to get home (and see the horseshoe curve). I'll be keeping my eye on the prices, as I've been doing these past few weeks, to see if they go down, but I have a feeling they won't.

Any idea if the second sleeper has been re-added to the Capitol Limited yet? I just realized on my October Gathering trip I’m ticketed in car 3001, which seems to be the second car unless something has changed. Which would worry me a bit if it hasn’t been re-added yet, given what has happened with sleepers the last year or two…

Any idea if the second sleeper has been re-added to the Capitol Limited yet? I just realized on my October Gathering trip I’m ticketed in car 3001, which seems to be the second car unless something has changed. Which would worry me a bit if it hasn’t been re-added yet, given what has happened with sleepers the last year or two…
I got our email change yesterday, from Amtrak. They moved us from car 2900 to 2901 for a very late October trip. I was thinking oh great, now they will suddenly decide pull the secondary sleeper later and we are stuck with coach or worse for an overnight trip…. Did you get a a change email yesterday/today too, or have you been on 3001 for how long?

Edit I see above now you booked July 27, but curious if you were on 3001 since then or they just moved you to it yesterday.

Last edited:
Consist changes usually happen around September. Many of the western LDs lose their extra sleeper around this time. One will likely be re allocated to the CL. I’d check back mid-September and see if there is a 3001 car in the consist. Of course, the other option is to see if they can move you to the 3000 car if space is available.

I was in the 3001 car when I booked. Now I’m suspecting the price drop around that time coincided with them adding the 3001 into inventory (it had been high bucket forever, then dropped to I believe the one above lowest). May call to see about changing my room…
I got our email change yesterday, from Amtrak. They moved us from car 2900 to 2901 for a very late October trip. I was thinking oh great, now they will suddenly decide pull the secondary sleeper later and we are stuck with coach or worse for an overnight trip…. Did you get a a change email yesterday/today too, or have you been on 3001 for how long?

Edit I see above now you booked July 27, but curious if you were on 3001 since then or they just moved you to it yesterday.

So a week ago I got our change email message that made clear they were changing our roomette number and car number, ok fine I got similar on our first Amtrak train ride for a time change.

Today I get this:

Amtrak Trip Alert

RESERVATION #XXXXXX
Hi XXXX XXXX,

We need to speak with you about reservation number XXXXXX. We have important information about this upcoming trip. Please give us a call at 877-231-9448.

Thanks for being a valued Amtrak customer.

The most up to date arrival and departure times are available on Amtrak.com, our free mobile apps or by text or phone 1-877-231-9448.

Join us on facebook.com/Amtrak
Follow us on twitter.com/Amtrak

My online ticket still seems to have a QR Code? I don’t see any new changes since last week on the tickets? I called in and they claim this Trip Alert was simply another notification of last weeks ticket change?

Is it normal for them to ask you to call in for a car and room number change only?

So a week ago I got our change email message that made clear they were changing our roomette number and car number, ok fine I got similar on our first Amtrak train ride for a time change.

Todays Update, for some reason the system just sent me more copies of the eTicket PDF again without asking. I see no changes in the PDF dates/times/rooms since over a week ago and it still has a QR Code. They are playing on my anxiety that the 2901 car will pulled and we end up in coach all night... Or no seat at all... :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back