Capitol Limited Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chertling

Lead Service Attendant
My plans have changed a bit and now I am looking at a trip from KC to DC this fall, instead of the west coast. Time and money will only allow me to take the train one way :angry: but I am really looking forward to the trip.

My question is this... is Dinner (IE Dining Car) served on the Capitol Limited upon departure from Chicago, or are we expected to eat before we board?

What time is breakfast served? I am considering only booking the sleeper from Chicago to somewhere in PA in an effort to save a couple of bucks and don't want to switch to coach too early.

Also, if I drop the extra $$ for a sleeper, what is included in terms of meals... specifically, am I limited to one meal (per person) for each serving period in the dining car only, or would snacks, soft drinks and/or meals in the lounge car be covered as well?

My question is this... is Dinner (IE Dining Car) served on the Capitol Limited upon departure from Chicago, or are we expected to eat before we board?
Yes, dinner is served on board the Capitol out of Chicago. In fact, if you're in a sleeper, they will usually pre-board you out of the Metropolitan Lounge some where between 6:00 and 6:15 PM. This allows you time to put your bags in your room, meet your attendant, turn in your ticket(s), and head for the dining car right away. Often you can already be munching on your salad and dinner roll before the train has even left the station.

What time is breakfast served? I am considering only booking the sleeper from Chicago to somewhere in PA in an effort to save a couple of bucks and don't want to switch to coach too early.
Breakfast is supposed to start no later than 6:30 AM and depending on circumstances can even start earlier.

Also, if I drop the extra $$ for a sleeper, what is included in terms of meals... specifically, am I limited to one meal (per person) for each serving period in the dining car only, or would snacks, soft drinks and/or meals in the lounge car be covered as well?
You are allowed one meal per person per meal period from the dining car, that includes dessert if applicable, as well as non-alcoholic beverages. For breakfast you can have sausage or bacon added to any meal on the menu for no additional charge. Any liquor you consume in the dining car must be paid for as it is not included.

Snacks, meals, and other beverages from the snack car are not included and must be paid for.

In the sleeper itself, you will also find bottled water, coffee, and juice available at no charge to you. If you prefer decafe or tea, the attendant can get that for you from the dining car.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think youre better off to just stay in sleeper the whole way. if you choose not to i would say book a sleeper to cumberland for free breakfast.

A journo pal of mine who lives in the northern panhandle of WV makes it a point when travelling on #29/30 to board at Cumberland, MD. In this manner, he and his family will be settled in by the time they retire for the night.

He more often than not, rides in a bedroom or roomette, and books a year ahead so his trip can be paid off by the time he takes it. I should add the ride down the 'Yough on the ex B&O trackage is certainly worth a seat in the sightseer lounge, especially on #30 in autumn.

what are the stops between Chicago and DC exactly? I went to the Amtrak site and it seemed a bit diffrent from what I remembered. There was a stop in Harper's Ferry, and didn't see it. Can someone please post the list?

Here's what I have from DC to Lynchburg on the crescent. Is this correct?

Washington, DC

Alexandria

Manassas

Culpeper

Charlottesville

Lynchburg

what are the stops between Chicago and DC exactly? I went to the Amtrak site and it seemed a bit diffrent from what I remembered. There was a stop in Harper's Ferry, and didn't see it. Can someone please post the list?
The train still stops at Harpers Ferry.

Here's the full list.

Here's the full list.
I thought it used to stop at Point Of Rocks MD. mp-44

Here's the full list.
I thought it used to stop at Point Of Rocks MD. mp-44
Not in recent years, perhaps in the past it did. But I don't recall it stopping there in say the last 5 or 6 years for sure.

it does stop in rockville, md... twenty miles down the tracks. But honestly the cap should have no stops between harpers ferry and washington. They have marc for that.

At one point, Rockville, MD was "Discharge only" EB, and "Receive only" WB.

I haven't looked closely at the TT for some while -- it's changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back