Capitol Limited Transdorm

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rile42

Lead Service Attendant
I just noticed that on my DC-CLE trip on the Capitol Limited on March 5, I am booked in car 2900, room 14. I know the room is a downstairs room and I'm pretty sure car 2900 must be the transition sleeper. I can't recall ever traveling in the transition sleeper. I know some don't like it, but others do. My problem is that, it seems to me, that with no in-car attendant, a downstairs room would be the worst of all situations. I don't like a downstairs room anyway but for that short of a trip, and most of it at night anyway, I could handle it. It doesn't help that on the same type of trip last year, we were completely ignored before arriving at Cleveland. Luckily we woke up ourselves and opened the sleeper door to let ourselves out. I can see that happening again being downstairs in the transition sleeper.

I just called reservations to try to move to another roomette. I was told there was an upstairs roomette in the transition sleeper as well as in car 2901. However, the agent would not just reassign me one of those rooms without charging me the current bucket price which was pretty significantly higher. I mentioned to the agent that I didn't want to redo my reservation, just switch roomettes without the raise in the fare. She told me I could do that with the conductor upon boarding the train, if there were any roomettes available for what I wanted (highly unlikely I would guess).

I know I need to call back and try it again, but it is after midnight and I'm guessing there would be a good chance of getting the same agent. Any suggestions other than just keep calling back?

Roomette #14 is usually on the lower level of a regular Superliner sleeper. The 2900 car on the CL I don't know. I don't think Amtrak rents lower level rooms in the transdorm at all.

According to the Consist Listings thread... car 2900 is a regular sleeper (the transdorm is car 2909). You're the closest sleeper to the dining car and furthest from the engines.
CAPITOL LIMITED — 3 sets

----|---- —— Heritage Baggage

2909|3009 —— Superliner Dorm/Sleeper <------ Transdorm

2901|3001 —— Superliner Sleeper

2900|3000 —— Superliner Sleeper <------ Your sleeper car

----|---- —— Superliner Diner

----|---- —— Superliner Lounge

2930|3030 —— Superliner Coach

2931|3031 —— Superliner Coach

2932|3032 —— Superliner Coach

Thanks for the info about no #14 room in the transdorm. Now that I think about it, I recall a thread once were it was stated there was no lower rooms in the transition sleeper. I still might try a time or two to see if I can move upstairs though at the same fare I originally paid, although, not that big of a deal now.

The first time I was assigned a room downstairs I felt like calling to see if I could change to upstairs. I'm glad I didn't because I found it to be super convenient to step off for a quick breath of fresh air at stops. Now I prefer downstairs and really have not noticed a difference in scenery.

Revenue rooms have to be #16 or higher to be in the Trans/Dorm. Anything 2 through 14 is always a regular sleeper. The Family room is considered both the F room or #15, hence why the Trans/Dorm numbers start at 16 so as to avoid any confusion.

I've not ever been downstairs or in the Transition Sleeper. But if I were to pick of the two, I'd pick the lower. You'll have a good couple of hours in the Diner, plus the lounge is also available. You're still going to be subject to short days and long nights. 7 AM breakfast, early lunch and an early dinner will get you the best of the Dining car.

You'll also be closest to the showers and restrooms. Overall, I think you'll be pleased. If it were the middle of the Summer on the Empire Builder, I'd probably opt for the upstairs.

I just wish that someone would figure out a way to get a window for the upper bunk of a lower level roomette on a Superliner! I know they can't do it upstairs, but they oughtta be able to work that in on the lower level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back