Capitol Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingee

OBS Chief
Last year we did the trip from Chicago to Ft. Lauderdale. I think we took the Lake Shore Limited. Found out it was the longer route. Amtrak made that reservation. So I see the Capitol Limited is better as far as time wise. Anyone have experience with this train?

Was on #30(1) and #29(8) Chicago to Washington and return...sleeper bedroom. Good trip and reasonable timekeeping (30-60 minutes or so within schedule).

The only "problem" of note was the use of the Cross Country Cafe (both trains) instead of a diner...poor staffing situation (the crew was doing the best they could) and only 1/2 the car used for dining. On #30, dinner after leaving Chicago was still taking place until after 9PM. Our 7PM dinner "reservation" happened sometime after 8 PM!

Last edited by a moderator:
On #30, dinner after leaving Chicago was still taking place until after 9PM. Our 7PM dinner "reservation" happened sometime after 8 PM!
That is because departure (and dinner) is based on Central Time. Just after departing CHI, #30 enters the Eastern Time zone which is 1 hour ahead. Thus the 7 pm dinner reservation is called at 8 pm local time (ET), and the 8 pm dinner reservations are called at 9 pm local time (ET).

Both are good trains depending on whether you want to spend time in WAS (same day connection) or if you want to overnight in NYC on your own dime.

When I was on the 30 Cap 3 weeks ago, the Diner crew did an outstanding job of getting everybody fed on time and with quality service. However, as soon as the Snack side of the Lounge opened, a line formed running all the way back into the first Coach!

We ride the CL/SM to Florida every January and also ride the Cap several other trips during the year. Scenery is great and crews have been good. I would much rather take the Capitol Ltd 30 to DC than the longer ride to NYP arriving late at night sometimes.

On #30, dinner after leaving Chicago was still taking place until after 9PM. Our 7PM dinner "reservation" happened sometime after 8 PM!
That is because departure (and dinner) is based on Central Time. Just after departing CHI, #30 enters the Eastern Time zone which is 1 hour ahead. Thus the 7 pm dinner reservation is called at 8 pm local time (ET), and the 8 pm dinner reservations are called at 9 pm local time (ET).
Agreed about the time change, however the CCC crew was very apologetic about the late seatings explaining that they had a smaller crew and only "half a diner". There were many announcements telling passengers NOT to go to the diner until their time was called because many passengers were going to the diner thinking we may have missed our call. At that point it was either go back to your car or wait in an already crowded lounge to wait. I may have missed it but, I don't recall any mention of the time change related to dinner seatings as I have on other LD trains.

Other than that experience, the CL was a good trip and we had very good SCAs both directions.

Chicago to Florida the only choice is CL to SM (I tried ORL as the destination to see if the the connection to the SS were still valid). On the other hand both the CL and LSL are valid from ORL to CHI. I always select the LSL for the return because

Variety

Opportunity to walk around NYC

Shorter layover in CHI (I connect there to the IZ, CZ, or SWC)

Most importantly, LSL is scheduled to arrive in Toledo at 5:55AM vs. 5:08 for the CLl (it gives you a better chance for a good night's sleep if you are using a one zone AGR award).

I have been on the CL three times in the past two months and will be on #30 tomorrow.

It is a Superliner vs Viewliner on the LSL. I have been pleased with the CL and is more

convenient for the trips I take.

Chicago to Florida the only choice is CL to SM (I tried ORL as the destination to see if the the connection to the SS were still valid). On the other hand both the CL and LSL are valid from ORL to CHI. I always select the LSL for the return because

Variety

Opportunity to walk around NYC

Shorter layover in CHI (I connect there to the IZ, CZ, or SWC)

Most importantly, LSL is scheduled to arrive in Toledo at 5:55AM vs. 5:08 for the CLl (it gives you a better chance for a good night's sleep if you are using a one zone AGR award).
And the opportunity to grab a couple slices at New York Pizza Suprema!

I think we took the Lake Shore Limited. Found out it was the longer route. Amtrak made that reservation. So I see the Capitol Limited is better as far as time wise.
From these words it sounds as if you are not too familiar with all the different ways of getting from here to there on Amtrak - in your case, Chicago (CHI) to Florida. In addition to the two you mentioned above, there's also a third way to get to the East Coast - the Cardinal. The Cardinal route is the one shown going through Charlottesville VA (CVS) on its way to Washington DC (WAS) on the map below:

MapAMTRAKSystemBWeg.jpg

The Cardinal takes about 6 more hours to get to WAS than the Capitol limited and it departs CHI only on Tuesday,Thursday and Saturday. But if speed's all that important you'd probably fly. There's also a fourth way to get over to WAS, but that involves spending a night in New Orleans (NOL) before taking the Crescent up to WAS.

Anyway, there's a map similar to the one above plus all the Amtrak timetables in a booklet called the Amtrak System Timetable which can be obtained at your nearest staffed Amtrak station, on line here... http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/809/144/Amtrak-System-Timetable-Spring-Fall-2015.pdf ...or by mail here: http://www.amtrak.com/order-contact-amtrak-publications With one of those you'll have in front of you all the information needed to make a wise route choice along with the recommendations found on this Forum.

Of course the Cardinal option involves a few hours of Bus City and a dreadful long layover in Richmond.
Not if the Cardinal is taken to Washington DC! But you may be right as it's not a guaranteed connection. With only 1hr 6min between the arrival of the Cardinal in WAS and the departure of the Meteor you'd have to book it on two separate tickets and hope the Cardinal is early or on time. Even if the Cardinal was on time, I've never been to WAS so 1hr 6min might not be enough time - even with a speedy Red Cap.

Not if the Cardinal is taken to Washington DC! But you may be right as it's not a guaranteed connection. With only 1hr 6min between the arrival of the Cardinal in WAS and the departure of the Meteor you'd have to book it on two separate tickets and hope the Cardinal is early or on time. Even if the Cardinal was on time, I've never been to WAS so 1hr 6min might not be enough time - even with a speedy Red Cap.
Taking the Cardinal to WAS to connect to the Meteor would be a poor bet. This is the Cardinal, not exactly known for tight on-time performance. Over the past month, the eastbound Cardinal #50 was an average of 2 hours and 21 minutes late arriving at WAS. According to Status Maps Database connection feature, the connection would have been missed at least 8 out of 13 times at WAS (realistically 9 out of 13 since 1 "connection" is only 9 minutes). The odds are better going for a connection at Alexandria, but are still lousy.

For anyone taking the Cardinal to connect to the Meteor, they should take the bus option to Richmond. If they are originating in or going through CHI to the Silver Meteor, the CL is the more reliable route. Besides, unless CL #30 is very late into WAS, there is enough time during the layover to walk up to Capitol Hill and Library of Congress for some quick sight-seeing.

I prefer the CL over the LSL for several reasons: Superliner vs Viewliner, WAS vs NYP, Time keeping, Mileage, arrival time into WAS.
Not to mention that you get Dinner when you leave CHI earlier than the LSL,( no more wine/cheese and grape reception) and the scenery is really good between PGH and WAS!!
And if you're hungry, you can have Breakfast and Brunch on the way into WAS, even though it's not exactly advertised by the Crew on most days!

I tried the LSL from NYP to CHI and the CL from CHI to WAS recently.

The CL was delayed over four hours including a slight delay at the beginning. There was a hold up between Rockville (2nd to last stop) and WAS. I believe two freight trains passed us. The LSL had a slight delay at the beginning which resulted in a slight delay (maybe an hour?) getting into Chicago. I remember taking a train from PHL to Alexandria, VA and remembered a delay getting into WAS. Is there often problems arriving in WAS? Is NYP on average less of a hassle or more?

Can you not also connect from the Cardinal to the Meteor in Alexandria, VA, adding an extra 30 minutes or so to the connection window?

I truly hate those Superliner Roomettes. :( and love the Viewliner ones :)
Is that because a Superliner Roomette doesn't have its own commode and wash basin like a Viewliner Roomette, or is it something else?

Is that because a Superliner Roomette doesn't have its own commode and wash basin like a Viewliner Roomette, or is it something else?
The viewliners are, or at least feel, roomier as the ceiling/upper berth is higher up. And there's the extra windows at the top - where the person sleeping on the upper berth can see out.

The viewliners are, or at least feel, roomier as the ceiling/upper berth is higher up. And there's the extra windows at the top - where the person sleeping on the upper berth can see out.
While I prefer Superliner trains generally because of the better lounge space, I do love the Viewliner roomette. The beds are better and I love the spacious feel with the higher ceiling and the upper window. As far as the commode goes, I am with the folks who don't like it, so that isn't a selling point for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back