Car Number?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DB

I just booked a roomette for the first time on Trains 58 and 59. The reservation for when I take #58 is in car 5800 and for #59 it's in 5900. What exactly does that mean?

I just booked a roomette for the first time on Trains 58 and 59. The reservation for when I take #58 is in car 5800 and for #59 it's in 5900. What exactly does that mean?
As Amtrakfan stated, those are the car line numbers. Each car running on the train that day has a "line number". This should not be confused with a car's inventory number, typically painted in red on each car. The line number is displayed on a variable message sign right by the door of each car and it indicates that cars position within the train's consist. Consist being the cars that make up that days train.

In your case the 5800 car number indicates train #58 car 00 and the 5900 number of course means train #59 car 00. However unless there has been a recent change, Amtrakfan is wrong when he states that car 00 is the trans/dorm sleeper. Car 00 should be the standard Superliner sleeper right next to the dining car. The easy way to confirm this would be to check your room number, if it's between 1 and 14, then you are in a standard sleeper. If it's 20 or higher, that would indicate that Amtrak has changed the order on this train and that you are indeed in the Trans/dorm sleeper.

If the latter is the case, don't worry, the rooms are the same. The only difference is that you'll be further away from the dining car, and part of the car will be off limits to you since the crew uses half of the car as their sleeping quarters.

Hope this helps. :)

The car (or line) number designates your sleeper space, since most long-distance trains have more than one sleeping car. The first two digits represent the train number, and the last two represent the position within the consist. In general, the numbering system starts with the cars closest to the dining car, and counts upward from there.

Coaches on long-distance trains also have line numbers. However, they are less important (and frequently not even set properly), as coach passengers are not assigned to a specific space ahead of time.

To respond to Alan's comments, I think the Superliner sleeper is actually at the rear of the train, since the consist is shared with the Texas Eagle. The transition sleeper is right next to the dining car.

To respond to Alan's comments, I think the Superliner sleeper is actually at the rear of the train, since the consist is shared with the Texas Eagle. The transition sleeper is right next to the dining car.
Robert, you're right I forgot about that change when they dropped the extra sleeper and started selling the trans/dorm. When I last rode the City of NOL, it was still carrying two full sleepers, as well as a trans/dorm. At that time the 00 car was up at the head end and next to the diner, the 01 car was tacked onto the rear.

With that change, it might be possible that Amtrakfan is correct that the 00 car is now the trans/dorm. However, the reality is that under normal Amtrak rules the 00 car should be the rear car, as the trans/dorm always gets a higher number than the regular sleepers. But again, this is Amtrak so who knows, at least until we know what room number the OP was assigned.

I'm in roomette #6 for one way and roomette #7 for the other, so I assume I'm in a regular sleeper?

So let me see if I understand this..... I'm in car 9110 to Florida. With 91 being the train number, is car 10 the 10th car on the train? Or will the car numbers be laid out in a random order?

No. Car 9110 is probably next to the dining car. There is really no rhyme or reason to the way Amtrak allocates line numbers, except that the lower numbers are closest to the dining car.

On the east coast, the sleeper lines start at 10. On the Capitol Limited and City of New Orleans, the sleeper lines start at 00. On most western LD trains, the sleeper lines start at 30, except for the Texas Eagle, where the regular sleeper line is either 20 or 30, depending on whether or not the cars continue to Los Angeles (20 represents the San Antonio-only version). On the California Zephyr, the sleeper lines start at 31.

On most western LD trains, the coach lines start at 11 (except for the Zephyer, where the lines start at 10). On the Sunset Limited when I rode it a couple of years, ago, the coach lines actually started at 13 and counted downwards, but then jumped to 15 and 30 for the Texas Eagle (i.e. 0231, 0230, diner, lounge, 0213, 0212, 2215, 2230).

On east coast trains, coach lines start at either 40 or 41. There might be some east coast line (coach or sleeper) that starts at 20, but I'm not entirely familiar with that section of the system.

It's a mess, to be sure.

For all Silver Service, Crescent, and LSL services sleepers are in the 10-line series and coaches in the 40-line series. For Auto Train coaches are in the 10-line series and sleepers in the 40-line series.

From my experience on the CONO the 5800/5900 sleeper was on the bottom while the 5809/5909 was the Trans Dorm/Head End sleeper. The benefit to the 5800/5900 is it is quieter since you are not near the engine and no one but your fellow carmates will pass through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back