car rental in nola

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sweet tea

Service Attendant
hi folks,

i've just booked a trip from nyc to nola in march, and i'm wondering about car rental down there. anyone know if there is a place convenient to the station? is it likely to be open when the train comes in? i'll be coming in on the crescent on a saturday evening.

(i'm visiting a friend, so i may be able to pick up a car the following day if necessary.)

also, i'm new to agr, but i see that they have deal with budget and hertz. how does that work? when it says that you get double or triple points, does that mean you have to have the agr credit card? or is it a points per dollar spent deal that applies to your agr account regardless of how you pay?

-- confused n00b.

They don't have car rental right at the station. They do have a direct line to Hertz, although I would check with Hertz, make sure what their operating hours in NOL are in case you get there late, make SURE they know you are arriving on AMTRAK, not by air, and then have a car reserved with them. Other than that I believe Enterprise and Budget both operate in NOL and I would call them on their 800 numbers, make SURE they know you would be arriving at the AMTRAK station, NOT the airport, and see what they can do as far as picking you up at the Amtrak station, and their operating hours, and drop-off and so forth. In Charleston, Hertz did not have a rental location AT the Amtrak station, but if you reserved a car from them and told them you were arriving by Amtrak, they reimbursed you for your cab fare to and from the airport Hertz location, which is only a few minutes away.

"Hertz did not have a rental location AT the Amtrak station, but if you reserved a car from them and told them you were arriving by Amtrak, they reimbursed you for your cab fare to and from the airport Hertz location, which is only a few minutes away"

A station agent in Atlanta said it worked the same way in Atlanta.

"Hertz did not have a rental location AT the Amtrak station, but if you reserved a car from them and told them you were arriving by Amtrak, they reimbursed you for your cab fare to and from the airport Hertz location, which is only a few minutes away"
A station agent in Atlanta said it worked the same way in Atlanta.
In ATL, the last time I was there, you took a cab to the Hertz location at a Marriott (somewhere) and they reimbursed your cab fare "up to $25". But the cab meter showed $25. They took $25 off my rental charge. I asked about the how I get the $25 for the return cab fare (on my departure), and I was told "We only provide that (reimbursement) one way!" (I returned the car at the airport, where I met some friends, and got a shuttle from the airport to the train station for less!)

In SLC, I know you cab to the airport to Hertz.

Don't feel slighted. A cab wanted $50 to take me approx. 10 easy interstate miles from the ATL Amtrak station. That's interesting about not getting the return trip's $25 reimbursed.

Out of curiosity, what kind of shuttle did you take from the airport to the Amtrak station? BTW, there are Enterprise locations pretty closeby.

In ATL, the last time I was there, you took a cab to the Hertz location at a Marriott (somewhere) and they reimbursed your cab fare "up to $25". But the cab meter showed $25. They took $25 off my rental charge. I asked about the how I get the $25 for the return cab fare (on my departure), and I was told "We only provide that (reimbursement) one way!" (I returned the car at the airport, where I met some friends, and got a shuttle from the airport to the train station for less!)
In SLC, I know you cab to the airport to Hertz.
I returned my Hertz rental to a location about five miles from downtown Santa Fe, and a Hertz agent then drove me (in that car, no less) back into town to the SFSR depot. *That* was service.

Out of curiosity, what kind of shuttle did you take from the airport to the Amtrak station? BTW, there are Enterprise locations pretty closeby.
I forget who it was, but it was one of the "regular" shuttles that went into Atlanta, and it only cost $13 (at that time)! We had to make stops at hotels and other locations in downtown, but it took me right to the Amtrak station!

That was the first and only time I took Amtrak to get to ATL.

Do you think Hertz has an official policy on this?
I really don't know, but when I took a train to RNO a few years ago, I got the same answer! :( (This was before the new station and trench was done, and I had not been to RNO before.)

I got them to lower the rental charge to "reimburse" me for the return cab fare! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back