Cardboard boxes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elliewen

Train Attendant
Are passengers allowed to check cardboard boxes? Someone mentioned on this forum that you cannot bring them as carry-ons. Any quick responses appreciated; my train leaves in just over a day!

So I found this on a not immediately obvious part of Amtrak.com:

"Cardboard boxes will only be accepted in checked baggage – boxes must have handles and be adequate for shipping; Amtrak shipping boxes are available for sale."

Does anyone know if they are strict about the handles?

The handles only need to be something that can be grabbed and held on to when it is being moved to/frrom thee baggage car and in the baggage car. They do not need to be "luggage-type" handles! Also, the box must be semi sturdy.

How long has there been this handle requirement?

I've been suggesting people move boxes by train for many years, and nobody mentioned back to me that they ran into handle issues.

I brought three cardboard boxes on an Amtrak a couple of years ago. They were all tied together, creating a handle of sorts, and they were also inside a bright yellow laundry bag. No one blinked. No one questioned them when I checked them in Chicago either. I was in a sleeper from DC to CA, and I never asked anyone to move them, so that might have helped.

I'm confused! You went from DC to CA, but you checked them in CHI. Why not check them in DC? :huh: And you never asked for help moving them? If they were checked in CHI, how did they get on the train without help? :huh:

What am I missing?

I'm confused! You went from DC to CA, but you checked them in CHI. Why not check them in DC? :huh: And you never asked for help moving them? If they were checked in CHI, how did they get on the train without help? :huh:

What am I missing?
Sorry, I used the wrong terminology. I took the Capital Limited from DC to Chicago and left them in Chicago Union Station during the layover before taking the California Zephyr a few hours later. I mentioned that I was in a sleeper to indicate that I was taking advantage of that free service they have of holding the bags. I shouldn't have used the word "checked," as it wasn't accurate.

You can use some sturdy tape a make handles.
I bought stuff in large cardboard boxes at Target or other stores, where they've used specifically designed handles that tape to the side of the box. There's no adhesive in the middle section of the handle. Apparently there was a patent for the special dispensers for these things. The patent application shows how one of these tape handles are used:

US5293999-1.png

http://www.google.com/patents/US5293999

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back