Cardinal 50 roomettes and 29 Capitol superliner bedrooms

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flying_babyb

Train Attendant
Anyone got a nice diagram to show where these rooms are? I saw one on here awile ago. We got veiwliner roomettes 3,5,6 and on the capitol bedrooms cde. Just currious where they are and if there good or bad rooms!

I suppose good or bad depends on the direction of travel (and by that, I mean pointing), occupancy levels and who is riding next to you. That being said, here are the diagrams:

PLANS.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One more question, If we put the two kids in a roomette, which two would be the best bet for easy access to there mom (in another roomette, There 15 and 16)

ROOMETTES 5 and 6 are directly opposite each other, 3 is next door to 5, all in close proximty. Mid car, most riders prefer this. I'm pretty sure you can open up between 2 of your bedrooms, your SCA would assist you, I'm sure someone with a better memory will jump on and remind us which pair.

A bit off topic but yore going to have a great trip the New River Gorge on the Cardinal is in my opinion the Grand Canyon of the East. You'll enjoy seeing that. It's east of Huntington so around seven am. I forget how Far East of HUN it is. Have a great trip

I suppose good or bad depends on the direction of travel (and by that, I mean pointing), occupancy levels and who is riding next to you. That being said, here are the diagrams:

PLANS.jpg
Viewliners generally point the same way (someone here will know which). Superliners can face either way.

Thirdrail,

Slightly off topic, but I'd always wondered how Amtrak ultimately configured the Heritage cars (after handicapped requirements and whatnot). Thanks for the diagram there.

The 2400 series sleepers were configured like that. the 2800 and 2900 series did not get ADA rooms. Not sure what the shower situation was on those cars, outside of the fact that I am nearly certain that they had them.

To be a little more specific your Amtrak sleeping car attendant will take care of opening or closing the partition between Superliner rooms D and E, at your request. There are potential pinch points. If you don't know just where to place your fingers, it's better not to tamper with it. The attendant uses a berth key to secure the partition in the desired position, or to release it. Many passengers like to keep the partition open in the daytime; closed at night.

Tom

The Viewliners run with vestibule towards the dining service. So if the sleepers are on the front the bedrooms would be on the left. And on the right if on the back. So for odd even it would be odds to the left if running on the front and right if on the back and opposite for the evens. Usually the consist for the Viewliner trains flips sometime soon

There are potential pinch points. If you don't know just where to place your fingers, it's better not to tamper with it.
True that. Manipulating the in-room features can appear deceptively simple and easy when you see an SCA breeze through it. Unfortunately if you're unfamiliar with the underlying mechanism it's easy to pinch or nick yourself in the process through simple carelessness. Not in the sense of experiencing permanent injury, but enough to make you think twice about it the next time around.

PLANS.jpg
Viewliners generally point the same way (someone here will know which). Superliners can face either way.
Right now, the Views are pointed vestibule rearward. However, the OP didn't really say when they were traveling and the pointing can change.

Thirdrail,

Slightly off topic, but I'd always wondered how Amtrak ultimately configured the Heritage cars (after handicapped requirements and whatnot). Thanks for the diagram there.
I still think the Heritage sleepers had a better ride quality than anything that exists today.

For a family trip I would recommend the Capital Limited. Better rates, and a large (very nice) sightseer lounge - plus a real dinning car. The travel experience will probably be better, and cost you less on the Capital Limited verses the Cardinal.

You all will love the train. Our family has made many long distance rail journeys, and even though they have grown older - and several are now married, we still will get together for family trips on the train. Our last trip was to Santa Fe, NM and we actually had ten in our party. Four roomettes and one bedroom.

When the kids were younger we looked at each trip as an adventure - like a camping trip. We have wonderful memories. Our next family trip will be this summer from Virginia to Red Wing, MN - to bike ride in the Wisconsin Dells.

A bit off topic but yore going to have a great trip the New River Gorge on the Cardinal is in my opinion the Grand Canyon of the East. You'll enjoy seeing that. It's east of Huntington so around seven am. I forget how Far East of HUN it is. Have a great trip
can you tell me what other things we will see? also what states will we go through? Were going from milwaukee to chicago to washigtion dc.

States: Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, District of Columbia.

After leaving Chicago it will get dark as you eat Dinner and roll through the Corn Fields of Indiana to Indianapolis, Cincinnati and cross the Ohio River into Kentucky.

Daylight comes in West Virginia, you'll see the New River Gorge and Hills, then into Virginia with its farms, Historic Towns and across ( actually under) the Potomac into Washington.

I would recommend the Capital Limited when it comes to having a group of people. Now I am not saying everyone is like this, but when you have a group of people with three or four rooms in a Viewliner Car, people like to leave their doors open and talk and yell across the hall at other members of their party in other rooms. At times this can become a little disturbing and distracting to people, like me, who like to stay in their room with their hallway door open. When you have the Superliner Bedrooms, you can open the door between the rooms, and have your hallway doors closed so you do not disturb any of the other passengers. I have met a few attendants who will politely ask for all members of their party to go to the lounge if they want to have a conversation.

I am totally with Reno on this. I guess it's only natural, but when parties of 3-4 take roomettes across from each other they tend to act as if the hall is theirs. That means conversations across the hall with the doors open, standing in the doorways and talking across the hall to each other, and kids playing in the corridor. I have often wondered why "quiet car rules" are not the norm in the sleeping cars. I find peace and quiet very hard to come by in the sleeping car.

States: Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, District of Columbia.

After leaving Chicago it will get dark as you eat Dinner and roll through the Corn Fields of Indiana to Indianapolis, Cincinnati and cross the Ohio River into Kentucky.

Daylight comes in West Virginia, you'll see the New River Gorge and Hills, then into Virginia with its farms, Historic Towns and across ( actually under) the Potomac into Washington.
thanks!!! this makes it eaiser to tell the kids. we board at 545 so we will still get dinner right I didnt look up what times meals are. Whats the breakfast menu like? I hate eggs.

I would recommend the Capital Limited when it comes to having a group of people. Now I am not saying everyone is like this, but when you have a group of people with three or four rooms in a Viewliner Car, people like to leave their doors open and talk and yell across the hall at other members of their party in other rooms. At times this can become a little disturbing and distracting to people, like me, who like to stay in their room with their hallway door open. When you have the Superliner Bedrooms, you can open the door between the rooms, and have your hallway doors closed so you do not disturb any of the other passengers. I have met a few attendants who will politely ask for all members of their party to go to the lounge if they want to have a conversation.
Im not to worried. I can sleep through anything (and anywere). Mom sleeps with big ole aviator style headphones. the kids sleep like rocks.

What sleeper cars are on the LSL and also the Cardinal. I just rode both trains and it looks like the viewliner. I didn't use earplugs on the Cardinal and it was pretty noisey west of Cincinnati with the horn blowing almost constantly.

I thought Amtrak went over the Potomac. Besides riding over it, I've seen Amtrak ads showing it crossing the river with the Memorials in view.

I thought Amtrak went over the Potomac. Besides riding over it, I've seen Amtrak ads showing it crossing the river with the Memorials in view.
Yes, the bridge is over the river. Bob thought he was on the Blue Line.. :p :p

Don't order the "French Toast Sticks" or the rubbery " Omelette". The Egg McMuffin type Breakfast Sandwich is only OK, but since you don't like eggs order the Continental Breakfast.

The best meal on the Cardinal IMO is the Lunch Sandwich, where the lone attendant makes them with fresh produce, I've found them excellent!

On the other hand I've found the fish to be OK ( used to be Salmon but that's now gone)but the pasta dishes are nasty! ( Disclaimer: its been a year since I rode the Cardinal.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back