Cardinal car 5109

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

trimetbusfan

Service Attendant
It’s the bag/dorm car

I was in #5109 room #5 back in July WAS->CHI. Then as now, it's was running an hour+ late at CIN and loses another hour before reaching Dyer. Most astounding was there were no delays whatsoever between Dyer and CHI!

I had a pleasant journey and chatted with the young attendant (20-25?) a couple of times. The car rode well, although I think the Buckingham Branch railroad portion was a bit on the shakey/rough side. Wifi was slow, really slow, or not at all on the route. I long ago found a cell phone app that can turn my cell into a wifi hotspot, secured hotspot, use bluetooth, or USB to connect to my laptop. The wireless methods are OK, but on the slow side. My 5G phone + USB connection worked extremely well as long as I had cell phone coverage. Indiana was 'sparse' for coverage outside of the cities.

I had a couple of concerns, though.

First was that the nearer restroom (of 2) to the roomettes was locked and the 'occupied' light was on for several hours as I boarded in WAS. About 9 PM, as I was on my way to the other restroom, I saw an Amtrak OBS come out of the 'locked' restroom and they left the door unlocked. It was 'permanently locked' again in the morning. My guess is that the OBS and conductors as well have 'reserved' it for themselves. I believe that the cafe attendant was assigned one of the rooms as was the young SCA.

Another concern is that like the 'full' Viewliner II sleepers, there's no place for clean linen. So a roomette gets taken over. We had a 2nd open roomette which was filled with perhaps 10-12 cases of water. Obviously, the folks that designed the V IIs never talked to anyone who worked them nor did they ever ride to ask how passengers felt, how SCAs felt, etc.

Lastly, the molded, one-piece plastic armrest/cup holder/tray table holder was starting to crack at the corners where the tray table fit. I checked a couple of rooms and they all had the problem. Add that to the list of design deficiencies for the cars.

As an aside, I refuse to eat the <whatever they call it these days> garbage meals on eastern trains. I wisely bought 2 grinders at Potbelly's in WAS station and one was dinner, the other, breakfast. I had a big breakfast at my hotel buffet that morning, so I didn't need lunch that Wednesday.

trimetbusfan

Service Attendant
I was in #5109 room #5 back in July WAS->CHI. Then as now, it's was running an hour+ late at CIN and loses another hour before reaching Dyer. Most astounding was there were no delays whatsoever between Dyer and CHI!

I had a pleasant journey and chatted with the young attendant (20-25?) a couple of times. The car rode well, although I think the Buckingham Branch railroad portion was a bit on the shakey/rough side. Wifi was slow, really slow, or not at all on the route. I long ago found a cell phone app that can turn my cell into a wifi hotspot, secured hotspot, use bluetooth, or USB to connect to my laptop. The wireless methods are OK, but on the slow side. My 5G phone + USB connection worked extremely well as long as I had cell phone coverage. Indiana was 'sparse' for coverage outside of the cities.

I had a couple of concerns, though.

First was that the nearer restroom (of 2) to the roomettes was locked and the 'occupied' light was on for several hours as I boarded in WAS. About 9 PM, as I was on my way to the other restroom, I saw an Amtrak OBS come out of the 'locked' restroom and they left the door unlocked. It was 'permanently locked' again in the morning. My guess is that the OBS and conductors as well have 'reserved' it for themselves. I believe that the cafe attendant was assigned one of the rooms as was the young SCA.

Another concern is that like the 'full' Viewliner II sleepers, there's no place for clean linen. So a roomette gets taken over. We had a 2nd open roomette which was filled with perhaps 10-12 cases of water. Obviously, the folks that designed the V IIs never talked to anyone who worked them nor did they ever ride to ask how passengers felt, how SCAs felt, etc.

Lastly, the molded, one-piece plastic armrest/cup holder/tray table holder was starting to crack at the corners where the tray table fit. I checked a couple of rooms and they all had the problem. Add that to the list of design deficiencies for the cars.

As an aside, I refuse to eat the <whatever they call it these days> garbage meals on eastern trains. I wisely bought 2 grinders at Potbelly's in WAS station and one was dinner, the other, breakfast. I had a big breakfast at my hotel buffet that morning, so I didn't need lunch that Wednesday.
Yeah I noticed the wifi not working too. But it worked fine when I was in the cafe car. (Which makes me think that it is not working in the sleeper car).

Luckily both restrooms were open for pax during the trip.

joelkfla

Engineer
I've seen that too, and worse. I think the designers didn't consider passengers using it as a support when standing up from the seats.