Cardinal EB - Lake Shore Limited WB

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madzoo

Train Attendant
I was fortunate to be able to take a holiday train trip again this year and chose to go to New York on the Cardinal and return to Chicago on the Lake Shore Limited. As usual, I started my trip from the Metropolitan Lounge and enjoyed seeing Union Station all decked out for the holidays. I arrived at around 4:00 PM and was surprised how many people were in the lounge waiting for the Lake Shore Limited. I can't think of anything much more boring than sitting in the Metropolitan Lounge for 5+ hours. I really hope people weren't hunkering down in there because they were afraid to walk around in Chicago.

When we were called to the train, we were taken out through the front of the lounge and told to wait by the track until the train pulled in. That was a first for me. We didn't have to wait long, though.

I had a roomette and was once again annoyed by the placement of the outlet by the toilet. The water from the sink splashed so much, I was afraid I was going to short out the thing a couple of times.

I didn't mind all the hours of darkness on this trip, because there were so many beautiful holiday lights along the way. Those Hoosiers really know how to decorate!

The scenery through WV was beautiful, and because the passenger load was so light, the SCA told us to feel free to use the open roomettes to check out the scenery on both sides of the train. I took advantage of that offer.

By the time we got to Charlottesville, there were only two people in my car and two more in the other sleeper. The SCA told us there were only 60-some people in coach. The other occupied roomette was right across from me. We both kept our doors open most of the time which was nice.

My car mate was an artist from France whose work was being displayed in a gallery in New York. She's probably famous, and I'm too big of a doofus to know it. She was just finishing up what would be a dream train trip for me: New York - New Orleans - Los Angeles - San Francisco - Seattle - Chicago - New York.

The trip went smoothly, but we did have to stop for some kind of safety check around Orange. I'm not sure what happened, but we didn't stop for very long.

I enjoyed riding through the northeast urban areas just as much as I liked riding through West Virginia. It was interesting to experience first hand how close those cities really are to each other.

I wasn't hungry at either of the dinner times, but I did have breakfast and lunch. I chose the continental breakfast and the salad for lunch. The salad was good, but I will sure be glad when this goat cheese craze is over.

We arrived a few minutes early. I didn't spend a lot of time in New York, because the real point of my trip was just to take the Cardinal. It was nice to be able to say that on the train and not have anybody act like they thought it was weird.

I started my trip back in Club Acela where one of the attendants took my dinner reservation. I've never had that happen before. I find the Lake Shore Limited to be the least interesting of the long-distance routes I have taken so far. My roomette wasn't on the Hudson side, so there was little to see.

The lock on my door didn't work, which was awkward, but luckily the door didn't spring open at any inopportune times.

I had the lasagna for dinner which was good. Afterwards, there was an announcement that there was a sing along in the diner, but I decided to skip it. For breakfast I had scrambled eggs and potatoes. It was good to have a real diner again.

This trip also went fairly smoothly, but we were delayed by some freight traffic. When we were getting close to Chicago the conductor played a couple of holiday songs and My Kind of Town over the speakers. We pulled in about an hour late, and once again, I was hit by a blast of wind when I went outside.

I wasn't able to get many pictures, but there are a few, along with a few short videos, in my Flickr album here.

Enjoyed reading your report. A trip on the Cardinal when the leaves are off the trees is a more enjoyable visual experience since it is easier to see the rivers. Unfortunately, a westbound LSL in the winter is mostly in the dark but a nice quiet ride watching the lights out the window. Sounds like the new lasagna meal is worth trying. Best wishes for a Happy New Year of train riding.

Glad you enjoyed your trip back East! I've always enjoyed rising the Cardinal but have never had to pay the High Bucket Fares since I always used AGR Points!

The Lake Shore Ltd is also my least favorite LD Train! Too bad the Broadway Ltd. is long gone!

I remember when the Cardinal was a Superliner, I've always enjoyed that trip,especially Eastbound when you have much more daylight. In April I will be using the Cardinal as part of a cross country journey from LA to Florida. AGR points. My days of the week weren't flexible, and I'm glad The Texas Eagle will get to Chicago one of the three days The Cardinal operates. There's a lot of beautiful scenery in West Virginia and Virginia.

By the time we got to Charlottesville, there were only two people in my car and two more in the other sleeper. The SCA told us there were only 60-some people in coach. The other occupied roomette was right across from me. We both kept our doors open most of the time which was nice.
That's kind of surprising since the Cardinal has been running with augmented consists for a few weeks now. Today, for example, 50 had 2 sleepers and 4 coaches. There was a lot of offing and oning here in CVS, lots of action, and all cars were in service. I didn't see 51 today but recently it has had that same consist. And we're in the middle of winter break so it's not students so much.

I was on the Cardinal on Christmas Day, so most people had probably gotten to where they were going by the time we got to Charlottesville. The trip back on the Lake Shore Limited was pretty full.

Back