Cardinal, Hiawatha, and CONO

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kentuckian1977

Service Attendant
I left Ashland, Kentucky on Friday night, December 9. The Cardinal arrived on time at 10:08pm. Several coach passengers were boarding and deboarding, and I was the only passenger getting on the sleeper there. I had managed to nab a low-bucket sleeper for this first portion of my trip only a month beforehand; I suspect there must have been some cancellations or something. Anyway, the conductor was a surly white haired old soul, sort of Central Casting's way-back-when idea of a railroad conductor. In spite of the fact that I was already loping in that direction with my bags in tow, he screechingly encouraged me to "come THIS way for sleeper!" He then snappily informed me that they'd take my ticket "ON" the train when I offered it. It was as if he wasn't about to blow the small miracle of an on-time Cardinal by taking two seconds to actually be nice to someone who had coughed up the extra (albeit not nearly as much as usual) dough for a sleeper for a 13 hour trip, but I digress. The middle-aged sleeping car attendant, Jay, wasn't nearly as pushy as the conductor, but neither was he really friendly. Robotic would be the world that comes to mind. He quickly gave me the rundown of how everything worked, and advised me that breakfast would start at 6:30 the next morning.

I stayed up until Cincinnati. My roomette, number 4, was on the wrong side of the train for the Ohio River, which was too bad, since the full moon had everything looking bright as day. However, I enjoyed watching the Northeastern Kentucky countryside, dotted by Christmas lights here and there, roll by. We arrived early into Maysville with its Colonial C&O station. We were also early into Cincy, and the elevated trackage through Newport, and the bridge across the river both afforded some great night views of the city lights and the river. I slept until around 6am, got up and dressed, and had breakfast as the sun came up with a nice elderly couple from Madison, Indiana. We made the stop at Lafayette while we were eating. I actually thought the omelet was really very good - even though I'd been practically bracing myself based on all the things said about Cardinal food on here. The rest of the ride went by uneventfully, and we arrived into Chicago a little early. I'm not sure if we detoured or not, as this was the first time I'd taken the train, but we were supposed to have due to crossover replacements near 21st I think it was. All I know is we were on the Metra tracks for awhile before getting on the Air Line - about the same route that the CONO takes, I think.

I spent one night in Chicago, and enjoyed sightseeing on Saturday and Sunday. This included a roundtrip on the "L" out to Wilmette and back, among other more typical Chicago tourist activities. I also did a roundtrip to Milwaukee and back on Sunday on the Hiawatha Service. The conductors were friendly, and that was a fun way to kill a few hours. I was back at the Metropolitan Lounge by 7 on Sunday night, but we were not boarded onto the City of New Orleans until nearly 8pm, to my surprise. It seemed that there had been some sort of hold up in getting the train ready, as our sleeper attendant was still scurrying around putting out the supplies that are normally already there when you board. We were finally called in for the "express menu" version of dinner well after departing, probably around 8:30 or 8:45, I think it was. We had departed close to on time, though. One funny thing that happened between departure and dinner. Our attendant was giving his welcome speech on the PA. He said, "If you want me to go ahead and make up your bed while you're eating, press the call button." Well, stupid me did exactly that, causing a loud squeel to erupt throughout the sleeper. I later apologized, which he good naturedly laughed off, and said, "I realized about the time I pressed that, that you meant to press it AFTER you were done with your talk!" LOL. Oh well, I don't claim to be more than human! Anyway, the attendant was a young man probably in his 20s. I took him to be fairly new, or at least still very enthusiastic about the job. His name was Manny, and he was the best of the four attendants I had during my trip. He even did the Hershey's kiss mints on the pillows thing while we were at dinner - nice touch!

One of my dinner tablemates on the City that night was a fascinating 91 year old man who talked exactly like Jimmy Stewart, and who I would have only guessed to have been in his 70s. He was a WWII vet who had went in the May after Pearl Harbor, and we had a great talk about old movies. I had the chicken and rice dinner, and found it to be tasty, and the cheesecake to be great. The next morning I got off at Memphis to snap a few pics and stretch my legs. For breakfast I had the pancakes and bacon which again I found to be really good, and our LSA and SA-diner waitress-whatever-you-call-her were both just great - full of personality and cheerfulness, without being the least bit fake about it. Lunch was good too, I had the angus burger. For both meals I was paired with other travelers who were taking Amtrak for the first time - I'd end up meeting probably seven or eight such people during the trip - and everyone said they were really enjoying it, would recommend it, and would do it again. I enjoyed sitting in the Sightseer for the run through the swamp and along the lake. I was in an upstairs roomette on the way down, and would be in a downstairs one on the way back, number 13. I MUCH prefer the upstairs roomettes on the Superliner now, as that was a BUMPY ride on the way back. Overall, I think I actually like the Viewliner roomettes the best. They'll really be nice once the toilet and sink is down the hall instead of in the room. I didn't mind that when traveling alone though.

I spent two fun nights in New Orleans, and did everything one does in New Orleans, and loved that town! I was running a bit late on Wednesday, so by the time my cab arrived at the station, all I basically did was print my ticket at the Quik-Trax machine, show it to the Amcop at the gate, and headed straight on out to the sleeper. So, I never saw the Magnolia Lounge nor did I encounter any security theater as some have at NOL. I was greeted at the sleeper by Terry, and older man with an accent I never did quite figure out. He seemed....tired...and wasn't really around much during the trip back to Chicago. I had the steak and baked potato that night, which was by far the best meal of the whole trip. For breakfast the next morning I had the french toast and bacon. High marks on all the food, honestly. Same even goes for the pasta dish I had going out on the Cardinal on Thursday evening. My attendant for the trip home was Delisa, I think it was, and she was very friendly and cheerful.

I was in roomette 3, I think, on the way back, and woke up about 5am, and enjoyed watching the Ohio River until time to get off the train. The SCA was pleasantly surprised I was already up when she came by. The conductor (same old grumpy one I'd had out of Ashland!) also came by. I understood him to say "We'll be there in about 7 or 8 minutes, so come on down to this end of the car." So, I gave it a few minutes, and went to the indicated end of the car (the end toward the dinette/lounge) with my luggage. This put me in the hall between Delisa's roomette and the coffee pot. I tipped her and had a small conversation, finding out that she'd been with Amtrak for awhile but was fairly new to the Cardinal. Meanwhile, one of the ladies from the dinette had appeared and was doing something to the coffee pot. Now, I attribute this to being half awake, in spite of the cup of coffee that Delisa had nicely brought me before I left my roomette. But, it just did not occur to me that the lady from the dinette was needing PAST me and my luggage! Delisa gently prodded me to roll my luggage into the little closet-thing (was that the shower?) next to the coffee pot, but still I didn't move my big self out of the way, LOL. Just as the light was dawning the conductor said, "SHE NEEDS PAST YOU TO GO START SERVING!" I mumbled "OH, Sorry!" and moved, to which he sardonically said, "THERE you go!" That guy will win no cheerfulness contest, even if I was being incredibly thick-headed! I deboarded, and drove the two and a half hours home. Overall, the trip was about what I expected, including the few minor bumps that were pretty much my own fault, lol. I was much less of a "Newb" even those not withstanding, than I would have been had I not had this board to use to prepare for my first Amtrak trip, though, so thanks all!

What a great trip report! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and I'm glad that the food on all legs surpassed your expectations. I actually also enjoy the food given in the diners, but I can't speak for the CCC you were on.

I'm not sure if we detoured or not, as this was the first time I'd taken the train, but we were supposed to have due to crossover replacements near 21st I think it was. All I know is we were on the Metra tracks for awhile before getting on the Air Line - about the same route that the CONO takes, I think.
That was a detour for the Cardinal. Normally, the only trains that use the air line are the CONO, Illini, and Saluki. The Cardinal normally crosses over the Metra tracks near Kensington Park and enters Chicago on a line just west of and parallel to the Dan Ryan Expressway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back