Cardinal reduced consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
51 has only one sleeper today - I'll know about 50 in half an hour. Perhaps this is the first day of cutting back to the winter consist.

BTW there is a pretty good on-board video of the Hoosier State posted on Amtrak Cardinal page of Facebook. Plus one of the Cardinal from IND to CLP. Quite recent.

EDIT: 50(20) does have both its sleepers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless something dramatic occurs, 51(18) and 50(20) are the last scheduled dates for two sleepers in the immediate future.

Unless something dramatic occurs, 51(18) and 50(20) are the last scheduled dates for two sleepers in the immediate future.
It appears that Thirdrail is correct. We'll know for sure today when he view the consists.

So this year the second sleeper ran from the first of April until late October. Almost 7 months.

Last year the second sleeper ran from July 4th until November. Five months.

There were very few exceptions during these times when only 1 sleeper ran.

One wonders how this change has effected revenue for the Cardinal. Since there is more than double the space for sale and only 1 personnel addition it must be considerable. :)

Its common knowledge that the availability of Viewliner sleepers is extremely limited. Amtrak has been known to move sleepers to trains where they can generate the highest revenue. My guess is that you may see the extra Cardinal sleeper added to the Silvers as the Florida snowbirds head South. Amtrak appears to be ticketing sleeper space on the Cardinal for a single car to August of 2016. The second sleeper may return as the overdue Viewliner II sleepers have to hit the rails at some point. .

Its common knowledge that the availability of Viewliner sleepers is extremely limited. Amtrak has been known to move sleepers to trains where they can generate the highest revenue. My guess is that you may see the extra Cardinal sleeper added to the Silvers as the Florida snowbirds head South. Amtrak appears to be ticketing sleeper space on the Cardinal for a single car to August of 2016. The second sleeper may return as the overdue Viewliner II sleepers have to hit the rails at some point. .

The extra sleeper availability will not show this early. Right now, only the scheduled consist shows.

... Amtrak appears to be ticketing sleeper space on the Cardinal for a single car to August of 2016.

The second sleeper may return as the overdue Viewliner II sleepers have to hit the rails at some point.
The extra sleeper availability will not show this early. Right now, only the scheduled consist shows.
I wouldn't take an order for a cup of coffee to be served in a Viewliner II. Been too many slips between CAF's cup and Amtrak's lip.

I've quit being angry about it. The delays are like a force of nature and nothing can be done about them. But I'm not setting myself up for further disappointment by having any kind of projected delivery date in my mind or on this blog. It will happen when it happens, and until then, it ain't happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back