Cardinal sleeper

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Ryan, that answers that, and nice shots too by the way! Now I know which end of the AKY platform to wait on. :giggle: I sure wish the Great Dome was going to be along for my ride too, even though I'm going the opposite direction of the best scenery on the Card.

If anyone will be on the 51 that arrives in Chicago on the 10th, I'll be onboard from AKY-CHI. Then I'll be on 59 out of CHI on the 11th, then 58 back out of NOL on the 14th, and finally 50 arriving back into AKY on the 16th. Would be cool if any AU folks happened to be on one of my trains, as I've lurked forever on this board and am very glad to finally be actually getting to take a trip on Amtrak.

I had first planned on driving out to Carbondale (350 miles!) and doing an Illini/Saluki roundtrip on either side of my CONO trip, but once I saw (thanks Amsnag!) that a roomette both ways on the Card could actually be had without robbing the bank, it became a no brainer to travel out of Ashland instead.

South Central Kentucky isn't exactly the greatest place for a train fan to be, which explains why at 34 (actually turning next Wednesday, this trip is my birthday and Christmas present to myself, lol!) this will be my first trip on Amtrak. And, if the Card ever does bite the dust, it'd basically be a matter of driving all the way to either Carbondale or Atlanta for the nearest Amtrak.

My soapbox: With Ashland/Huntington/Ironton being a metro area of 350,000 with a roughly 10pm call time westbound and 6:30am eastbound, there's a good argument for keeping the Card around IMO. Just because it hits Cincy at Gawdawful hours both ways, and travels through a lot of (beautiful) wilderness in WVA, does NOT mean that there are "no people" on the train's route "through the Boondocks" as seems to be so often suggested. I also know that some people from Lexington, KY (pop. 250,000ish) drive up to Cincy, or to Maysville, KY (about an hour from Lex) to catch the Card at its 5 am ish / 11:30 pm ish MAY call times. Personally, I wish they'd make it daily, give it another sleeper (when the new Viewliners arrive), and a real diner (and/or the probably-pipe-dream dome proposed in their evaluation of the train last year!) At any rate, I'm just glad I'm getting to ride it and the CONO now, as I fear that if we (perish the thought!) have a change in the White House the Card and the CONO will probably be the next top two on the hit list, behind only the Sunset Limited...

Nice photo. I believe that it was taken in Culpepper VA. Thats a nice little historic town to board the Cardinal and the Crescent. Whats nice about Culpepper is that there is shopping and quite a few restaurants (and a cafe) in town. If you get to the station early there is a lot of activity and food to keep one busy.

Getting back to the subject it seems that the Cardinal sleeper alternates its position on the train and I have no idea why. Perhaps its a result of how they turn the train. Front position gives you more of the horn sound while the rear gives you shake rattle and roll!! Don't expect a regular diner quality meal on this train. All Amtrak has on the CDL is essentially a glorified snack car/lounge/dinerlite food service car. Microwave and convection oven food prep only.

I just wonder why Amtrak doesn't use the diner on the Cardinal that was freed up when the Viewliner diner was put into service?

Just to add to your comment about the viability of the Cardinal. You are correct, there are many good sized communities along the route. But what you said is quite perceptive, because areas such as Ashland, KY/Huntington, WV, or Charleston, or Clifton Forge/Roanoke, Staunton, Charlottesville - all are areas with good sized populations - but all are very lacking when it comes to air travel (except for maybe Charleston, WV). So when it comes to travel - Amtrak could be a great option for travelers in these parts, simply due to the very limited, and costly airline options.

In these areas - the population is less, but the travel options are dramatically reduced - compared to larger urban areas with busy airports. So I see the Cardinal as a niche train, offering a viable transportation option in a region that is poorly serviced by the airlines, as well as - perhaps Amtrak's most scenic route. Two very good reasons to keep it going.

Just to add to your comment about the viability of the Cardinal. You are correct, there are many good sized communities along the route. But what you said is quite perceptive, because areas such as Ashland, KY/Huntington, WV, or Charleston, or Clifton Forge/Roanoke, Staunton, Charlottesville - all are areas with good sized populations - but all are very lacking when it comes to air travel (except for maybe Charleston, WV). So when it comes to travel - Amtrak could be a great option for travelers in these parts, simply due to the very limited, and costly airline options.

In these areas - the population is less, but the travel options are dramatically reduced - compared to larger urban areas with busy airports. So I see the Cardinal as a niche train, offering a viable transportation option in a region that is poorly serviced by the airlines, as well as - perhaps Amtrak's most scenic route. Two very good reasons to keep it going.
Thanks, very well put and you clearly do get the point I was making. I was just reading an article yesterday about how many small and medium markets are going to be losing some if not all of their "tin can with wings" small jet service probably sooner rather than later due to soaring fuel costs, which just furthers everything you said.

Don't expect a regular diner quality meal on this train. All Amtrak has on the CDL is essentially a glorified snack car/lounge/dinerlite food service car. Microwave and convection oven food prep only.

I just wonder why Amtrak doesn't use the diner on the Cardinal that was freed up when the Viewliner diner was put into service?
Yes, I'm aware of the Card's diner limitations. (Which as I mentioned, along with a daily schedule are the two things this train desperately needs - I'd be willing to bet the daily schedule alone would increase ridership greatly. For example, I'm having to spend a night in CHI going in order to make my connection. No problem at all for me, because I wanted to do that anyway to see the city, but obviously the tri-weekly thing greatly complicates connections and undoubtably turns away potential riders, as well. I thought of doing the AKY-CHI / CHI/AKY portions of my trip in coach. But, I'm doing this trip solo (and looking so forward to some ME time, lol!) and the idea of sleeping on a stranger's shoulder doesn't appeal to me, neither does subjecting my other poor fellow coach passengers to my snoring :giggle: So anyway, I'm doing the 13 hours each way on the card in a roomette. To get back to what I first started to comment on that you had said, ITA that the Card needs a "real" diner...but I'm only getting breakfast going and dinner coming back on the Card, so I'm sure I'll survive the convection-nuked food. And I'm thinking French Toast can't be screwed up even when fixed that way... :rolleyes:

And I'm thinking French Toast can't be screwed up even when fixed that way... :rolleyes:
That's where you'd be mistaken. I'd avoid the French toast on the Cardinal. Take the cereal, take anything, but don't take the French toast. I've been riding Amtrak for decades, and the Cardinal's French toast might well be the worst meal I've ever had on rails.

And I'm thinking French Toast can't be screwed up even when fixed that way... :rolleyes:
That's where you'd be mistaken. I'd avoid the French toast on the Cardinal. Take the cereal, take anything, but don't take the French toast. I've been riding Amtrak for decades, and the Cardinal's French toast might well be the worst meal I've ever had on rails.
LOL, thanks, and duly noted! Please tell me the CONO's pancakes are good, though hehe

My soapbox: With Ashland/Huntington/Ironton being a metro area of 350,000 with a roughly 10pm call time westbound and 6:30am eastbound, there's a good argument for keeping the Card around IMO. Just because it hits Cincy at Gawdawful hours both ways, and travels through a lot of (beautiful) wilderness in WVA, does NOT mean that there are "no people" on the train's route "through the Boondocks" as seems to be so often suggested. I also know that some people from Lexington, KY (pop. 250,000ish) drive up to Cincy, or to Maysville, KY (about an hour from Lex) to catch the Card at its 5 am ish / 11:30 pm ish MAY call times. Personally, I wish they'd make it daily, give it another sleeper (when the new Viewliners arrive), and a real diner (and/or the probably-pipe-dream dome proposed in their evaluation of the train last year!) At any rate, I'm just glad I'm getting to ride it and the CONO now, as I fear that if we (perish the thought!) have a change in the White House the Card and the CONO will probably be the next top two on the hit list, behind only the Sunset Limited...
Even if the Cardinal does not get a second Viewliner sleeper, it will get added capacity with the baggage-dorm freeing up rooms used by the crew. It should also get a Viewliner diner, which if Amtrak adopts the club-diner concept which is proposed to be tried out in the Lake Shore Limited, could serve as a sightseer lounge to some extent.

As noted, the Cardinal schedule provides pretty good connections between VA and WV and to a less convenient extent VA/WV to OH, IN, and Chicago. If the Cardinal were to be shut down, Virginia would be rather piqued because it is providing funding to fix up the Buckingham Branch line. I think a daily Cardinal would see ridership grow even more predicted in the PIP report because there are many people who would not even consider taking the train because of the confusing 3 day a week schedule who would take it if was available every day. A daily Cardinal would also provide for additional NYP-WAS to Charlottesville options which has seen ridership take off with the daily Regional.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, thanks, and duly noted! Please tell me the CONO's pancakes are good, though hehe
Breakfast on the City of New Orleans is great. Had it twice in September, will again in January.

Never mind the sleeper, I'm just delighted to see that the Ocean VIew dome was run in the rear of the train, where it belongs. One of the great pleasures of dome-riding is to watch the string of cars ahead of you, as it negotiates the reals. The locomotive goes off on tangents left and right, and gradually,you follow. I've enjoyed watching that graceful silver snake dance in '83 from a Vista Dome on the Rio Grande Zephyr, with the loco's prow carving a rooster tail of new snow in through the Tunnel District, and on the Capitol Limited in '92, snaking along beside the winding, moon-splashed Potomac... but not since then. Last fall when I rode the Adirondack, the dome was placed right after the locomotive. So view from the front windows resembled what you'd get from a camera mounted to a semitrailer. Not so inspiring...

Another question...how late does the lounge serve on the Card? I'm thinking a nightcap after boarding might not be too bad at all if they're still serving when I get on. :giggle: (10:08pm, if by miracle it is actually on time - and yes I know not to hold my breath on that.) Meanwhile I'm really hoping the strike doesn't happen next week, or that if it does it'll be over with in time not to mess up my plans of leaving out on Friday night...

Another question...how late does the lounge serve on the Card? I'm thinking a nightcap after boarding might not be too bad at all if they're still serving when I get on. :giggle: (10:08pm, if by miracle it is actually on time - and yes I know not to hold my breath on that.) Meanwhile I'm really hoping the strike doesn't happen next week, or that if it does it'll be over with in time not to mess up my plans of leaving out on Friday night...
Since you are traveling in a roomette, you don't need the services of the cafe car for a "nightcap". Go to your local adult beverage store, get a small bottle of whatever you enjoy and take it with you. Sleeper car travelers are permitted to imbibe their own beverages in their rooms. In my recent loop trip through the west, I took two bottles (in case things got very late).

Have a great trip.

Since you are traveling in a roomette, you don't need the services of the cafe car for a "nightcap". Go to your local adult beverage store, get a small bottle of whatever you enjoy and take it with you. Sleeper car travelers are permitted to imbibe their own beverages in their rooms. In my recent loop trip through the west, I took two bottles (in case things got very late).

Have a great trip.
:hi: Thanks - oh, of course. I'd forgotten about sleeper pax being allowed to "BYOB" since this is my first trip.

Edit: Fixed typo.

Is the sleeper on the Cardinal still running up front behind the baggage or have they moved it back to the rear of the train again?
Here is November 20, with the sleeper in the front:

Thanks John, and nice pic. Seems to be consistently on the front lately, there's also some recent youtube clips that show this. Seems to always be running with the vestibule end forward, too.

Also seems to be running more on time lately (the fallen tree incident the other day notwithstanding!) I wonder, has the Buckingham Branch already upgraded some of their trackage? I know that was a lot of the holdup. Julie says that tonight's 51 is due into Ashland on time in just a few minutes ago 10:08, fingers crossed that will also be the case a week for now for my trip.

The reason why you want to avoid the French Toast on the Cardinal as they are just reheated frozen "French Toast Sticks" . On other routes the French Toast is fresh prepared and very good.
Nope, the French Toast is no longer freshly prepared onboard. It's taken out of the freezer and tossed into the convection oven. Some of the better chefs will throw it onto the grill for the final few minutes, which improves how things taste. But the French Toast is not freshly prepared anymore. :(

Also seems to be running more on time lately (the fallen tree incident the other day notwithstanding!) I wonder, has the Buckingham Branch already upgraded some of their trackage? I know that was a lot of the holdup. Julie says that tonight's 51 is due into Ashland on time in just a few minutes ago 10:08, fingers crossed that will also be the case a week for now for my trip.
According to this NARP blog story from November 3, there have been some repairs and improvements to the Buckingham Branch line. VA is providing funding in annual allocations, so I would expect track upgrades projects will be done in stages over the next few years.

According to this NARP blog story from November 3, there have been some repairs and improvements to the Buckingham Branch line. VA is providing funding in annual allocations, so I would expect track upgrades projects will be done in stages over the next few years.
That confirms what I suspected then. Glad that VA is kicking in some funding. This could very well help get a daily Cardinal going as much as anything, as OTP is always very important. I had previously noticed when going to the Amtrak Status Maps online that if the Westbound Card lost time, it was usually on the B.B. and often amounted to about an hour or two. Lately the train seems to be running within a few minutes of on time nearly every day.

That confirms what I suspected then. Glad that VA is kicking in some funding. This could very well help get a daily Cardinal going as much as anything, as OTP is always very important. I had previously noticed when going to the Amtrak Status Maps online that if the Westbound Card lost time, it was usually on the B.B. and often amounted to about an hour or two. Lately the train seems to be running within a few minutes of on time nearly every day.
VA is contributing more than "some" funding. If I am adding it up correctly, there is a total of $44 million allocated in previous fiscal years and over the next 5 FYs, mostly within the next 3 FYs, to Buckingham Branch track and signal upgrade projects. This is a mix of VA State Rail Preservation Funds and public & private matching funds, so it is not all state money, but it looks that VA Rail Preservation is most of the funding. These amounts can be found under the Virginia Shortline Railway Preservation and Development Program on page 54 of the VA DRPT FY12 6 year improvement plan. The projects include tie replacement, ballast/tamping/surfacing, signal system upgrades. So the BB is getting enough funding to make some real track repairs.

Which is why if the Cardinal were to get terminated, the state of Virginia is likely to be ticked off about it. The state is putting enough funding into fixing up the tracks to push for a daily Cardinal.

BTW, there is another project funded to the amount of $31.6 million for FY12 and FY13 to NS described as "Nokesville to Calverton Double Tracks". This has been in the plans for a while; it is/was to restore double tracking to a single track section south of Manassas that the Crescent, Cardinal, and Lynchburger run over. Another upgrade that should help with OTP.

The reason why you want to avoid the French Toast on the Cardinal as they are just reheated frozen "French Toast Sticks" . On other routes the French Toast is fresh prepared and very good.
Nope, the French Toast is no longer freshly prepared onboard. It's taken out of the freezer and tossed into the convection oven. Some of the better chefs will throw it onto the grill for the final few minutes, which improves how things taste. But the French Toast is not freshly prepared anymore. :(
When did that change? I remember that it was better when I was younger, but I thought the full-sized toast was still real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back