Cardinal to NYC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As often happens a simple question can turn into quite a topic! This has all been very interesting. I won't be put off by the smell of urine or rude people. I remember in New Orleans I commented to my son on the smell of the streets and yet it was one of the most vibrant and exciting places I have ever been from both a social and historical stand point. As for rude people, you can actually get a dose of some of them just traveling Amtrak! What do they say- its 10% what it is and 90% how you take it. The most off putting thing to me will be the sticker shock of the hotel prices etc. Nevertheless I will go and consider it a privilege to do so.

How is it rude that I am trying to tell the person from my own experience what a disaster this place is? Have you ever stepped outsie of New York Penn? Urine stench. All over the place as soon as you go near the 32nd street.
"Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets."

taxi_driver.jpg

I grew up in NYC and I would like to offer an unbiased view. I will say that any large city with millions of people there on any given day is going to present a few problems. Yes it is a crowded city and the streets are not spotless. The pace is fast and people speak equally as fast. However, NYC offers so much more in the way of food, entertainment, museums/history, recreation, and shopping than any other city. Even if you can't keep up or feel uncomfortable with the fast pace, it is something that most people should experience at least once in their life. I won't argue that its a great place to live for everyone but it is certainly a great place to visit.

As often happens a simple question can turn into quite a topic! This has all been very interesting. I won't be put off by the smell of urine or rude people. I remember in New Orleans I commented to my son on the smell of the streets and yet it was one of the most vibrant and exciting places I have ever been from both a social and historical stand point. As for rude people, you can actually get a dose of some of them just traveling Amtrak! What do they say- its 10% what it is and 90% how you take it. The most off putting thing to me will be the sticker shock of the hotel prices etc. Nevertheless I will go and consider it a privilege to do so.
:hi: Actually you can make some fairly good deals on a hotel if you are flexible in yur dates, time of the week and what's happening in the Apple! All the usual travel sites (I prefer bookaroom.com so you get to look @ all the various sites and compare)will give you an idea of the deals, then you can google up the hotels on the regular in house sites to compare the prices! Food, transportation, shopping is expensive but you should see the rents,that explains that! The best transportation deal in America, perhaps the world is still FREE, the staten Island Ferry! Have fun, everyone should see New York before they die! ;)

To the poster that included the pic in re: " Taxi Driver" Priceless!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you hate New York so much, why don't you move out? I mean, seriously, New York isn't exactly a cheap place to live (and, if it was so horrible, why would people be willing to spend so much money to live in really small apartments and condos?). So, you'd not only be doing yourself a favor by moving out, you'd probably also be saving a bunch of money, too.
I will. I am planning on moving to Chicago or West coast. But right now I am going to school here.
Do I see a bit of "Grass is greener on the other side of the fence" syndrome? ;)

If you hate New York so much, why don't you move out? I mean, seriously, New York isn't exactly a cheap place to live (and, if it was so horrible, why would people be willing to spend so much money to live in really small apartments and condos?). So, you'd not only be doing yourself a favor by moving out, you'd probably also be saving a bunch of money, too.
I will. I am planning on moving to Chicago or West coast. But right now I am going to school here.
Have you actually visited those places to make sure they're not filled with rude people and the stench of urine as well?
I have been to chicago. Its a city, so its bound to share some characteristics with NYC. But people are overall more friendly, streets are cleaner IMO, and generally less confusing and less stressful. new York is a stressful city to live in.

I have been to LA and Oakland as well. Dirty, I agree. But the weather. Beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:
CNW,

I've lived within sight of NYC all my life and I'll be 50 in just a few months, and for the last 22 years within NYC. Like any big city it can have its problems & issues. Wanna get mugged? I can certainly recommend a few places to go. :lol: But seriously, there is also considerable charm about NYC. There really is no other place like it in the US. And I've been in many of the major cities within the US so I've seen a good sampling. Stick to the major areas and you'll be fine.

If you are into tourist stuff, personally I would recommend visiting Top of the Rock over the Empire State Building. My reasoning is that TOTR costs less and perhaps most important, you select what time you want to visit, show up and go through security, and up you go. You won't be quite as high up as the Empire State, but unless you like long lines or paying a premium to avoid some of the lines, TOTR IMHO is the better choice.

The poor man's tour of the Statue of Liberty is the Staten Island Ferry. You can't actually get to the base of the Statue by the ferry, but you do get some very nice views of the statue and you can't beat the price; it's free! If you want to spend a few bucks, then by all means ride the boats that do take you out to the Statue. If you want to go up in the crown, you must make reservations in advance. That can be done online.

A walk in Central Park is always nice too, and there are plenty of movies and Broadway shows to take in too if that fits into the budget. My fave is Phantom of the Opera.

If you want some rail riding ideas just let me know or if you have any specific questions send them along too. :)

CNW,

I've lived within sight of NYC all my life and I'll be 50 in just a few months, and for the last 22 years within NYC. Like any big city it can have its problems & issues. Wanna get mugged? I can certainly recommend a few places to go. :lol: But seriously, there is also considerable charm about NYC. There really is no other place like it in the US. And I've been in many of the major cities within the US so I've seen a good sampling. Stick to the major areas and you'll be fine.

If you are into tourist stuff, personally I would recommend visiting Top of the Rock over the Empire State Building. My reasoning is that TOTR costs less and perhaps most important, you select what time you want to visit, show up and go through security, and up you go. You won't be quite as high up as the Empire State, but unless you like long lines or paying a premium to avoid some of the lines, TOTR IMHO is the better choice.

The poor man's tour of the Statue of Liberty is the Staten Island Ferry. You can't actually get to the base of the Statue by the ferry, but you do get some very nice views of the statue and you can't beat the price; it's free! If you want to spend a few bucks, then by all means ride the boats that do take you out to the Statue. If you want to go up in the crown, you must make reservations in advance. That can be done online.

A walk in Central Park is always nice too, and there are plenty of movies and Broadway shows to take in too if that fits into the budget. My fave is Phantom of the Opera.

If you want some rail riding ideas just let me know or if you have any specific questions send them along too. :)
Well, Ig totta admit this. if you are a baseball fan New York is a heaven.
And the attraction of New York is that its really big.

I'm thinking of riding the Cardinal and would like to stay in New York city. Was born and raised in a "tank town" of 60 people, so although I want to stay in NYC I'm a little intimidated by the thought of it. What is the closest reputable and safe hotel to the station and what is the name of the station where I would be detraining. Is it Penn?
I took my daughter to NYC a few years ago and it was the first time we had gone. I chose to take the train from WAS and enjoyed the ride, though the trip from Washington to New York is a lot of stops and not a lot of scenery to look at. We loved NYC, the only thing I was not prepared for what the tons of people right outside the station who want to help you get a cab, for a fee of course. I was a little smarter after that occasion and knew to expect them and to refuse their offer. I was so caught off-guard the first time I just said, yeah sure and then had to pay for something I hadn't expected. I really had no problem with people in NYC and felt safe most of the time, of course I didn't stray too far from the Times Sq-Broadway-Central Park area. I felt so comfortable that the next time I went, we even rode the subway to Yankee Stadium for a game and the next night we rode to Shea on the subway for a game (This was my son's trip to NYC). Of course, cheered against the Evil Empire and actually got to see my O's get a rare win.

Bottom line, use a little caution and a lot of common sense and you will have a great time.

As to hotels, consider the Hotel Pennsylvania. Right across the street.

It does get mixed reviews. But it gets this Atlanta guy's thumbs up, as does the city itself.{I give the city more points than the hotel, but it will feel good to just to walk across the street when you get in at night.)

I have been traveling to NYC by train since I was about 6 years old. It's a fabulous city and there are no others like it in the US. A few years back I was in NYC and Chicago on business within a two week period. After being in New York, Chicago seemed much smaller(I was born in Joliet). I love both cities but each is unique and worth visiting. I echo Bill Haithcoat with regard to the Hotel Pennsylvania. Its an older hotel, but its got carachter, much like older European hotels and its convenient to Penn Station. If its cold and snowy, there is a great deli to eat at in the Hotel without going outside. Macy*s Herald Square, the largest Department Store in US is just a block up 7th Avenue. There is a K-Mart right in the Penn Station complex that has all the necessities. The wonderful NYC subway system is right there in Penn Station to get almost anywhere...they don't make you walk several blocks like in Chicago. My wife and I love long weekends in New York to attend a show, concert or opera, eat in the fabulous restaurants. If we have time, we always go on Amtrak which is just a quick overnight journey on the Silver Meteor.

With the last few posts we are getting into the domain of personal opinion and that's OK as long as we realize that one mans food is another mans poison. For those that do not like NYC, the solution is simple; just don't go there!

The man who started this post was asking for a recommendation on a safe reputable and affordable hotel.

BTW - Where is THE 32nd street?
huh.gif
I know where 32nd Street is, but I don't know where THE 32nd street is in New York City!
blink.gif
Is it somewhere offshore?
huh.gif
I think it is a California thing. As in THE 405, or THE 101 (I 405 and US 101 to the rest of the country).

If you are looking for a hotel across from the train station -- I'd do Hotel Pennsylvania. I stayed there one of the first times I went to New York and was then intimidated about the whole visit. (Even though I grew up in Chicago, NYC is a whole different ball game with about three times as many people) It was a nice place -- I did the upgrade to the Club 4000 or Club 5000 or whatever the better rooms are -- and they were actually large rooms and were very nice. It was nice being right across from Penn Station too.

My step-sister has since moved to New York/Manhattan and I go and visit her out there two or three times a year... and have gotten to know NYC really well. I dont feel very intimidated by it at all now and have so much fun there! Usually because its so expensive my visits have been for a couple of days, but I am planning to stay out there for 8 days next July... and it should be great... planning a lot of train day trips out of NYP.

As for the "disgruntled" poster... I think its a case of "the grass is always greener". NY is a fun place -- from walking in Central Park to visiting the crown of the Statue of Liberty... to world class theater. I grew up in Chicago and felt the same disgruntled way about Chicago when I was 18 and lived in IL my whole life. I had been to the Field Museum, Planitarium, Science and Industry, and yes, even Giordano's so many times I was sick of all of them and was about as bitter as that poster. That is why I left -- I do miss some of that now having been 13 years removed from Chicago -- but am close enough in Milwaukee I can go back and visit whenever I want now. Just perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back