Cardinal travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gingee

OBS Chief
We have not used a train in twenty-five years. Then it was just a short trip. Can anyone give us some feedback on the Cardinal train? We would take a bus from Peoria, IL to Indy. Then the train to New York City.

Also, does anyone know if they run discounts anymore like buy one get one a certain percentage off with another discount for another person. This will be for a family of four. All over l5.

Thanks

Strangely enough, the Cardinal has been doing unusually well on-time wise this month.

Most important things to note: it only runs three days per week (which you'd find out when booking)

It doesn't have a full dining car (at the moment), just a cafe/lounge

It does go through wonderful scenery.

Amtrak runs promotions from time to time, using various codes. Their most recent one was H431 (the code you enter when booking a trip online), which was 10% off any travel booked online (subject to certain blackout dates). Unfortunately, that expired a few days ago.

Also, if you travel in a sleeping car, the discounts do not apply to the sleeper portion of your fare.

They don't have better discounts than 10%? I think we can get a cruise or AAA or AARP discount. Don't know which one is better though.

How about those advertised discounts that they are running each week (up to 70%) off? Do they usually run those throughout the year?

Are the trains clean?

Thanks

Gingee said:
They don't have better discounts than 10%? I think we can get a cruise or AAA or AARP discount. Don't know which one is better though.
How about those advertised discounts that they are running each week (up to 70%) off? Do they usually run those throughout the year?

Are the trains clean?

Thanks
Yes there are discounts with AAA or AARP as you mentioned, of which are 10% off the coach fare of the trip. However with most special promotions like the one mentioned above you receive 10% off the already discounted AAA or AARP fare. You have to read the fine print to find out if the discount your looking to use is a discount on a already discounted ticket. Most promotions will let you do this, some won't.

Guest_Gingee said:
Do you feel that you really need reservations on trains these days?
Except for a few trains on the Northeast Corridor, the Empire Corridor, and perhaps California, Amtrak requires reservations on all trains. You have no choice. You can't just show up and hope to hop on board.

The last time I rode the Cardinal it had a full service dining car. Sadly, it no longer offers that, so you will have to make do with a lounge/cafe. The scenery is beautiful! The crew on the Cardinal has been consistently good in my experience. I highly recommend the sleeper for your return trip to home for two reasons: (1) You will definitely appreciate the first class waiting room at New York, and (2) you will want to be rested and relaxed in time for your bus trip back to Peoria!

Have a nice trip!

This is for a family of four so I am afraid that it would cost us a fortune in sleepers.

Oh, I forgot to ask. As far as mentioning needing reservations, are the trains usually booked anymore or is that a thing of the past. Can you wait close to the departure time to book a train?

Thanks

Odds are pretty good that the Cardinal won't sell out if you're not traveling during a holiday period. Therefore you should be able to still get tickets close to your day of departure.

However, consider that as the train fills up, the price of the tickets goes up. So if your dates are firm, then I would book as soon as possible to avoid future price increases.

Obviously the further from your reservation you are the better off you are to make a reservations. If you are traveling in Coach it is not as critical to make extremely advance reservations as it is if you plan on getting a sleeper. Mind you, during holiday travel periods, Chirstmas, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving it is more important as trains are far more likely to sell out. It does occur many times during the summer and around spring break so be careful. But once you have your date set I would recommend making your reservations. Better safe than sorry IMHO.

Ginger said:
This is for a family of four so I am afraid that it would cost us a fortune in sleepers.
Aloha

Might br cheaper than you think. Pay for the family room for all four, meals are included. The lounge snack bar is, in my opinion way overpriced.

My husband and I recently took the Cardinal from Charlottesville, VA, to Chicago and back. We've taken this trip several times over the past two years, but this was our first time since the Cardinal lost the dining car. The so-called "tray meals" were very, very poor substitutions for dining car food. Dinner was something I can describe as tv dinners provided by the lowest bidder. Breakfast was soggy, nasty-tasting quiche or a strange version of "French toast" that had clearly served time in the freezer. Lunch was a choice of a ham and cheese sandwich encased in plastic (snack bar food) with potato chips and a soft drink or an even more disgusting microwaved cheeseburger with potato chips and a soft drink. The person who served lunch yelled at us for showing up without a reservation at 12:15. He said he had come around and knocked on our door, but we didn't hear him. I'm not sure why we needed reservations for pre-made sandwiches, and chips, and the car was not crowded. On the trip out of Chicago dinner was not even offered, but we were given "wine and cheese trays." So don't take a sleeper on the Cardinal for the food.

Other than the food, the trip was just fine both ways. The train was acceptably clean, and the equipment worked OK. We were on time and everyone was polite and efficient.

One more thing--the Cardinal uses Viewliner equipment so there is no family bedroom.

Aloha

Wow no diner , one of the nices reasons for Long distance trains, No family room. Think this one train I will skip. :( :( :angry:

The Cardinal is slated to get its Diner back in April I believe, with some equipment shuffling and the new schedule. I think right now a few Diners are OOS for overhaul which is keeping this train from having the Diner. It will also get its Dorm back with the Diner.

[ The Cardinal is slated to get its Diner back in April ]

That is wonderful news!!! When and if the diner returns on the Cardinal, we can really and truly take advantage of the extension to NY!

I hadn't heard about the Cardinal getting its diner back. Where did you hear/read this?

What's truly pathetic is how permanent all of the "temporary" service reductions last winter have become. Amtrak is falling apart again this winter. Nearly every long-distance train left Chicago late yesterday (by hours) due to frozen equipment.

Since they haven't even recovered from last winter's problems, things can only get worse from here.

You have me worried now. I guess we can live with yucky food (as long as it is safe). We will be headed for a cruise so we will get enough food then.

We will be traveling the end of May. If they get a diner in April, that would be great.

The food isn't that horrible (well, I guess it depends on your taste, and what exactly you pick). It's just not the best Amtrak can offer.

rmadisonwi said:
I hadn't heard about the Cardinal getting its diner back. Where did you hear/read this?
Let's just say I know people. I knew about the Palmetto cutback in this past October (2004) in July of 2003.

I had heard about the cutback when i was on the palmetto in July of 2003 as well... I just didnt beleive it at the time.

Back