Cardinals first NYC origin in years

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P40Power

OBS Chief
I noticed in the new timetable that on Sundays the westbound Cardinal our of NYP runs on the same schedule as 155 (which is a little earlier and makes local stops) to WAS. Is the Cardinal gonna have some local Amfleet I coaches tacked on the rear for this part of the journey for local passengers?! Seems to me that Cardinal passengers will have to make some unscheduled stops along the corridor.

Actually the first Sunday run of the Cardinal from NYP would not occur until next week, Sunday November 2nd. The new timetable does not take effect until Monday the 27th.

As for that Sunday schedule and running as 155, we discussed that over in this topic.

Near as I can tell, the Cardinal will indeed make all of 155's stops on Sunday's. Just what they plan to do about coaches at this point is unclear.

I think it'd be nice if someone up in the corridor (you could be best suited to do this Alan) takes 155 on a Sunday just to see how they work the whole combination of the two trains. I still find it hard to believe that they are doing this since the Cardinal will go 15 MPH slower than 155 would solo (due to carrying Viewliners and Heritage on the Cardinal which are rated for 110 MPH MSA).

Ooops, my mistake on the taking effect date . . . in years past the schedule changes have almost ALWAYS been on Sundays. Well next week then will be the first time out :p Oh and sorry bringing up a topic already being discussed, I havent been on top of the forums like usual!

P40Power said:
Ooops, my mistake on the taking effect date . . . in years past the schedule changes have almost ALWAYS been on Sundays.  Well next week then will be the first time out :p  
Yeah I was thrown by that Monday change myself at first, however it's not the first time that Amtrak has done that. There have been a couple of times in the past where they did that.

P40Power said:
Oh and sorry bringing up a topic already being discussed, I havent been on top of the forums like usual!
Not to worry. :) We rehash things all the time, but I just figured since this was recent it was easier to point you in the right direction.

I won't be at work on Sunday to tell you the consist makeup of the first Cardinal as it passes by. But I'll make sure I document Wed. Nov 5th's southbound Cardinal for all of you.

It will be nice to see an additional LD Train on the corridor. One can only enjoy watching Metroliners, Acelas, Clockers, and the other LD's for so long.

You could do a round tripper. Cardinal one way, LSL the other. (Hehe, lil play on words there.)

No I don't write my essays like that. I'm progressing pretty well on my essays. Just today I got a 6 of 9 on an AP History essay, which is above par for this time of the year.

OK, I suggested you take a round trip from Chicago to New York Cardinal one way, LSL the other. If you look at those two routes together on a map it creates a rough shape of a circle. Since its a round trip you'd be taking a round trip both origin/destination wise and geographically. Therefore it's a lil play on words, hehe. :lol:

battalion51 said:
OK, I suggested you take a round trip from Chicago to New York Cardinal one way, LSL the other. If you look at those two routes together on a map it creates a rough shape of a circle. Since its a round trip you'd be taking a round trip both origin/destination wise and geographically. Therefore it's a lil play on words, hehe. :lol:
ooooh!!! :D That was too simple for me to figure out. lol.

So, back on topic. Today is the first westbound run for the Cardinal out of NYP.

Anyone going to catch the consist?

I saw this mornings westbound Cardinal through Newark, NJ.

This was the consist:

2 viewliners

Phase III Diner – never seen this one before, very worn looking in Phase III striping. Could this be one of the diners that was sitting in Beech Grove until recently?

Amfleet I lounge/dinette?

3 Amfleet II Coaches

Surprisingly, no baggage or Crew Dorm.

Unfortunately, it’s very hard to get car numbers/names on the NE Corridor due to the speed of the trains.

Amfleet Fan said:
I saw this mornings westbound Cardinal through Newark, NJ.
This was the consist:

2 viewliners

Phase III Diner – never seen this one before, very worn looking in Phase III striping.  Could this be one of the diners that was sitting in Beech Grove until recently?

Amfleet I lounge/dinette?

3 Amfleet II Coaches

Surprisingly, no baggage or Crew Dorm.
The extra Viewliner was due to the lack of the crew dorm. I'm sure that the lead Viewliner was partially booked to passengers, while some of the standard rooms were reserved for the crew.

As for the diner, if it had been sitting at BG I would suspect that they would have released it in the new paint scheme.

Amfleet Fan said:
Unfortunately, it’s very hard to get car numbers/names on the NE Corridor due to the speed of the trains.
You're just gonna have to increase your workouts, so that you'll be able to run faster next time while writing down the numbers. :lol: :D :)

AlanB said:
You're just gonna have to increase your workouts, so that you'll be able to run faster next time while writing down the numbers. :lol: :D :)
I don't think my co-workers would appreciate me hopping over their cubicles, but then again who knows? :D

Interestingly, the southbound Crescent passed with a 3rd Viewliner but at the end of the train.

So, about the Crescent having a Viewliner at the end---I wonder if that was for the crew(was there a dorm?) or perhaps a deadhead......or....perhaps a New York to Atlanta sleeper as it used to run?

Guess not, not enough Viewliners to go around......but back through he years the Crescent(Amtrak as well as pre-Amtrak)did have sleepers and coaches just from NY- ATL. Wish that would happen again.

DId it have the usual two Viewliners at the front?

Bill Haithcoat said:
So, about the Crescent having a Viewliner at the end---I wonder if that was for the crew(was there a dorm?) or perhaps a deadhead......or....perhaps a New York to Atlanta sleeper as it used to run?
Guess not, not enough Viewliners to go around......but back through he years the Crescent(Amtrak as well as pre-Amtrak)did have sleepers and coaches just from NY- ATL. Wish that would happen again.

DId it have the usual two Viewliners at the front?
Bill,

It did have the Crew Dorm and the customary two Viewliners also. I figured it was a deadhead move, but who knows these days.

It most likely was a DH to NYP to HIA for PM. But, the simple fact is this, there is no Viewliner shortage, there were 5 Viewliners visible to me last friday as I left outbound on 92. There is no Viewliner shortage, and Amtrak needs to figure that out.

battalion51 said:
It most likely was a DH to NYP to HIA for PM.
While I'm sure that Viewliner was deadheading somewhere, there is one flaw in your theory. A southbound Crescent would have no reason to be pulling a VL destined for Hialeah.

New Orleans is a long ways from Miami. Better to put the DH VL on the Star or the Meteor, or even the Palmetto. Otherwise you're putting about 1,000 unneeded miles on the VL.

My bad, I missed the SB part. :huh: It's entirely possible it was being sent to NOUPT as an extra sleeper for the yard in cas on goes B/O'd. But only mechanical would know that.

battalion51 said:
My bad, I missed the SB part. :huh: It's entirely possible it was being sent to NOUPT as an extra sleeper for the yard in cas on goes B/O'd. But only mechanical would know that.
All right, that's it for you. :angry:

Your punishment will be to ride at least three Amtrak trains before this month is over. :)

It's possible that New Orleans may be taking part in the Viewliner refurbishment program. Thus, one of the first sleepers to be refurbished was headed on its way down to the Big Easy. Or it was a deadhead, but who knows. Afterall, Amtrak can be very unpredictable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back