Cardinals first NYC origin in years

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That could be it, unless there DHing one from NOL to CHI and then to the Grove. Then again, it would be simpler to send the one to NYP and then the Cardinal to Indianapolis (Beech Grove) for refurbs. Maybe its replacing one about to undergo a 180.

AlanB said:
battalion51 said:
My bad, I missed the SB part.   :huh: It's entirely possible it was being sent to NOUPT as an extra sleeper for the yard in cas on goes B/O'd. But only mechanical would know that.
All right, that's it for you. :angry:

Your punishment will be to ride at least three Amtrak trains before this month is over. :)
Ouch, that might not be possible. I'm currently admist hell week (I'm wokring six days in a row totatling 33 hours (16 of them on Saturday alone), then I have work next Saturday, and the Saturday after that. Now I'm going to squeeze in a Tri-Rail trip this Sunday and possibly an Amtrak trip at Thanksgiving time. Is that good enough Alan?

Amfleet said:
It's possible that New Orleans may be taking part in the Viewliner refurbishment program. Thus, one of the first sleepers to be refurbished was headed on its way down to the Big Easy. Or it was a deadhead, but who knows. Afterall, Amtrak can be very unpredictable.
Anything of course is possible, but I don't think that NOL is setup for that type of work. To my knowledge, they've only got engine shops down there. At least that's all I saw when I was there late last year.

They might be able to do light maintenance on a VL or perhaps a quick patch to allow a VL car to head somewhere for a real fix, but again I don't think that they are setup for heavy car maintenance.

Hialeah is the main facility for Viewliners. All cars in need of PM are put in revenue service for the trip down from NYP or added DH at WAS during the engine change. I don't think Hialeah does the overhauls, that responsibility probably falls to Bear.

battalion51 said:
AlanB said:
Your punishment will be to ride at least three Amtrak trains before this month is over.   :)
Ouch, that might not be possible. I'm currently admist hell week (I'm wokring six days in a row totatling 33 hours (16 of them on Saturday alone), then I have work next Saturday, and the Saturday after that. Now I'm going to squeeze in a Tri-Rail trip this Sunday and possibly an Amtrak trip at Thanksgiving time. Is that good enough Alan?
Ok, we'll let you slide with that. :lol:

But only because I'm heading to Boston on Friday to ride some of their commuter rail with Superliner Diner and a few other OTOL members this weekend. :rolleyes: :)

battalion51 said:
Oh thank you all mighty Moderator for your mercy. :lol:
Actually I would have figured that you'd have been happier with the punishment. So I probably shouldn't have let you off the hook. But what's done is done. :lol: :D

Maybe I can punish myself over Winter Break when I ride three times a week. :lol:

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Wow, im thinking im gonna run that idea for punishment by my parents asap. Id do anything to be "grounded" :lol:
There you go, that's a good idea. Instead of being good for Santa, be bad so you can ride Amtrak trains. :D

battalion51 said:
Maybe I can punish myself over Winter Break when I ride three times a week. :lol:
I can only accept that delay in punishment if you promise to count all the RR ties between FTL and ORL. :lol: :D :)

AlanB said:
AMTRAK-P42 said:
Wow, im thinking im gonna run that idea for punishment by my parents asap. Id do anything to be "grounded"   :lol:
There you go, that's a good idea. Instead of being good for Santa, be bad so you can ride Amtrak trains. :D
Unfortunately, my parents havent "grounded me" since I was 15. Maybe with some luck, they will start to treat me like a kid again :p

AlanB said:
Amfleet said:
It's possible that New Orleans may be taking part in the Viewliner refurbishment program. Thus, one of the first sleepers to be refurbished was headed on its way down to the Big Easy. Or it was a deadhead, but who knows. Afterall, Amtrak can be very unpredictable.
Anything of course is possible, but I don't think that NOL is setup for that type of work. To my knowledge, they've only got engine shops down there. At least that's all I saw when I was there late last year.

They might be able to do light maintenance on a VL or perhaps a quick patch to allow a VL car to head somewhere for a real fix, but again I don't think that they are setup for heavy car maintenance.
Didn't NOL rebuild the first Heritage Diner into the Temoinsa set up?

AlanB said:
battalion51 said:
Maybe I can punish myself over Winter Break when I ride three times a week.   :lol:
I can only accept that delay in punishment if you promise to count all the RR ties between FTL and ORL. :lol: :D :)
Will an educated guesss do, I can do the math on it. IF so it would be about 789507 (There's a little rounding in there).

battalion51 said:
Will an educated guesss do, I can do the math on it. IF so it would be about 789507 (There's a little rounding in there).
Wait a minute, RR ties are rectangles. So how can you round them? :unsure:

battalion51 said:
I meant the number was rounded. It's an approximation.
Yes, I knew that. :rolleyes: I was just continuing with the silliness that we had been carrying on with in this thread. :)

Amfleet Fan said:
Bill Haithcoat said:
So, about the Crescent having a Viewliner at the end---I wonder if that was for the crew(was there a dorm?) or perhaps a deadhead......or....perhaps a New York  to Atlanta sleeper as it used to run?
Guess not, not enough Viewliners to go around......but back through he years the Crescent(Amtrak as well as pre-Amtrak)did have sleepers and coaches just from NY- ATL. Wish that would happen again.  

DId it have the usual two Viewliners at the front?
Bill,

It did have the Crew Dorm and the customary two Viewliners also. I figured it was a deadhead move, but who knows these days.
Id have to agree, as Bill and I know, it is very very rare to see a third viewliner on the crescent. In fact, in my 8 years seeing the crescent, I have never seen it with a 3rd.

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Amfleet Fan said:
Bill Haithcoat said:
So, about the Crescent having a Viewliner at the end---I wonder if that was for the crew(was there a dorm?) or perhaps a deadhead......or....perhaps a New York  to Atlanta sleeper as it used to run?
Guess not, not enough Viewliners to go around......but back through he years the Crescent(Amtrak as well as pre-Amtrak)did have sleepers and coaches just from NY- ATL. Wish that would happen again.  

DId it have the usual two Viewliners at the front?
Bill,

It did have the Crew Dorm and the customary two Viewliners also. I figured it was a deadhead move, but who knows these days.
Id have to agree, as Bill and I know, it is very very rare to see a third viewliner on the crescent. In fact, in my 8 years seeing the crescent, I have never seen it with a 3rd.
That's the wonderful thing about working next to the NE Corridor in Newark, NJ. You get to see all sorts of strange and interesting things, and they're not always on the track. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back