Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I was given conditional offer. I completed all the required drug test, background, Medical. However, I have not heard back from the recruiter. According to the pre-boarding personnel I was cleared. The question I have for you, supposedly training begins on July 31. Does the recruiter get back to those individuals that are not selected?

Hello, I was given conditional offer. I completed all the required drug test, background, Medical. However, I have not heard back from the recruiter. According to the pre-boarding personnel I was cleared. The question I have for you, supposedly training begins on July 31. Does the recruiter get back to those individuals that are not selected?
I can't answer that for sure, but based on what others have experienced...probably not. Two things I will mention, things move very last minute in Amtrak's world, so you may get an offer up until a couple days before the class starts. Also, class may be delayed because of many reasons, and finally, if you don't get an offer now, you may receive one in a few months when they are hiring again. So, a lot of variables involved, and I wish you luck.

I can't answer that for sure, but based on what others have experienced...probably not. Two things I will mention, things move very last minute in Amtrak's world, so you may get an offer up until a couple days before the class starts. Also, class may be delayed because of many reasons, and finally, if you don't get an offer now, you may receive one in a few months when they are hiring again. So, a lot of variables involved, and I wish you luck.
Is it really any wonder that Amtrak has so much trouble hiring people?

Government/ Civil Service jobs usually make you jump through hoops during the Hiring Process, but Amtrak leads the Pack when it comes to enduring this Process.

Based on what I've heard from Amtrak Employees that I know,( several are AU Members) Patience and Persistence are necessary if one wants to Work for Amtrak.

I applied for a position with Amtrak as a Block Operator that would work in Philadelphia. I pretty much know how block signals work—I am a high functioning autistic that is excellent at “following the rules” and I believe that is what this job requires a lot of doing. I have been employed by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania since 2007, but I just don’t see any future potential working here and was not treated well by my ex-supervisor. I was basically forced to take a demotion. I have lifelong interest in trains and railroading, and of Amtrak in particular. Does anyone have any information more about what this job involves? I know Amtrak provides an 8-week training program. I think a career change might help with my anxiety disorder and give me a change of pace.

I applied for a position with Amtrak as a Block Operator that would work in Philadelphia. I pretty much know how block signals work—I am a high functioning autistic that is excellent at “following the rules” and I believe that is what this job requires a lot of doing. I have been employed by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania since 2007, but I just don’t see any future potential working here and was not treated well by my ex-supervisor. I was basically forced to take a demotion. I have lifelong interest in trains and railroading, and of Amtrak in particular. Does anyone have any information more about what this job involves? I know Amtrak provides an 8-week training program. I think a career change might help with my anxiety disorder and give me a change of pace.
There are several AUers who are Amtrak Employees including Acela 150 who is from Philly!

Good Luck, hang in there, it's an ordeal to get Hired as you've probably read in Posts here!

There are several AUers who are Amtrak Employees including Acela 150 who is from Philly!

Good Luck, hang in there, it's an ordeal to get Hired as you've probably read in Posts here!

What is the process that takes place with Amtrak hiring? I’ve taken Civil Service tests, as I am a Civil Servant with Pennsylvania. Do they contact me if they want to do an interview?

What is the process that takes place with Amtrak hiring? I’ve taken Civil Service tests, as I am a Civil Servant with Pennsylvania. Do they contact me if they want to do an interview?

For Amtrak the process is as follows:

Apply to a job
If your application is of interest they'll send you an email with a hogan's test
If that is a passing grade they may send you for a strength test (Depending on job)
If that's a pass then the hiring managers and HR select who to interview

For block operators they must qualify on 4 towers.

Zoo, Overbrook, Paoli, and Thorn.

I'm surprised Zoo is still in operation and hasn't been taken over by CETC like most of the towers on the NEC
The NEC Spine part of Zoo has been parted out into multiple CPs (Girard, Mantua, and a few I forget) that are all controlled by CETC. All that remains is the Main Line part, hence the Zoo, Overbrook, Paoli and Thorn. Those are in the process of being absorbed into CETC.

Some details:

Recent note said:
Cetc 6 controls
Shore, Clearfield, Lehigh, Gerard, Mantua

Cetc 5 controls
Penn (30th st. station, Philadelphia)

Zoo tower controls
Zoo, Stiles, JO (philly)

Section C Dispatcher contols
Zoo tower and out the Philadephia and Harrisburg Line towers, IIRC.

Zoo controls stuff that is leftover in the original Zoo area, that have not been transferred to CETC. That is Zoo no longer controls Penn, Girard and Mantua, all three o the NEC Spine.

Last edited:
I’ve recently attended my 3rd in person interview for a entry level position which ended the same as the previous times. I’d been told it went well, a firm handshake and I’d hear back soon with their final thoughts. A week and a half goes by and a email let’s me know they’ve decided to pick other people. I’d understand this once, perhaps twice but a third time? I’ve answered everything in my background they’re asking for. From previous heavy labor experience and construction to use of all tools listed and a resume with highly reputable companies. At this point from a journey dating back to early May and now in the last days of July I truly feel broken. Is there really a call for help or is the company simply boasting their name for attention?

I’ve recently attended my 3rd in person interview for a entry level position which ended the same as the previous times. I’d been told it went well, a firm handshake and I’d hear back soon with their final thoughts. A week and a half goes by and a email let’s me know they’ve decided to pick other people. I’d understand this once, perhaps twice but a third time? I’ve answered everything in my background they’re asking for. From previous heavy labor experience and construction to use of all tools listed and a resume with highly reputable companies. At this point from a journey dating back to early May and now in the last days of July I truly feel broken. Is there really a call for help or is the company simply boasting their name for attention?
And people wonder why Amtrak is so short of Staff???

The NEC Spine part of Zoo has been parted out into multiple CPs (Girard, Mantua, and a few I forget) that are all controlled by CETC. All that remains is the Main Line part, hence the Zoo, Overbrook, Paoli and Thorn. Those are in the process of being absorbed into CETC.

Some details:

Zoo controls stuff that is leftover in the original Zoo area, that have not been transferred to CETC. That is Zoo no longer controls Penn, Girard and Mantua, all three o the NEC Spine.
The only thing from that quote that is somewhat correct is that Section C the towers (7 days a week) and the entire PH Line on (Fri. 11p to Sun.11pm Only). Section B will control from CALN (West of Thorndale by 1.3 miles) to STATE (Sun. 11pm to Fri. 11pm)

To give you an idea on how hard it can be to get a job at Amtrak I'll share my experience.

It took me about 80 applications to get invited to take the qualifying tests for an AC job. 100-110 applications to get an interview. I think I was around 135 applications when I finally hired. I interviewed with Amtrak at least half a dozen times before getting hired finally. Don't get down on yourself!! I'm proof that it takes time!

The only thing from that quote that is somewhat correct is that Section C the towers (7 days a week) and the entire PH Line on (Fri. 11p to Sun.11pm Only). Section B will control from CALN (West of Thorndale by 1.3 miles) to STATE (Sun. 11pm to Fri. 11pm)

To give you an idea on how hard it can be to get a job at Amtrak I'll share my experience.

It took me about 80 applications to get invited to take the qualifying tests for an AC job. 100-110 applications to get an interview. I think I was around 135 applications when I finally hired. I interviewed with Amtrak at least half a dozen times before getting hired finally. Don't get down on yourself!! I'm proof that it takes time!
Good advice from a good Guy!

Why is that with apparently a rigorous hiring process and tough standards to qualify that Amtrak service is so inconsistent?
Once your past your speed bump, it’s next to impossible to get fired.

Also I don’t think there a rigorous hiring process. Too much BS maybe, not just at Amtrak, but in all fields. Was read about an older chap (45 years old) trying to restart a career at sea. It was painful to read some of the comments.

https://forum.gcaptain.com/t/older-fool-looking-to-go-to-sea/66670
I am just not impressed with a company that wants you to work for them for 30 years. Sometimes you do need to move on to new adventures.

After some thought I decided I'd try to connect again with Amtrak, I figure perhaps 4 "entry level" positions being a hard "no" might lead to something else. Oddly enough I applied again to another "entry level" position, a common laborer, to which I received my quickest response ever. Not only was it the same old email but now the system no longer allows me to apply even though the pose has been open for a week. I thought I'd make a new account and see if maybe that could expedite things, within 24 hours I got another email, same old news. The position remains open, the criteria required hasn't changed yet I'm being instantly written off. I'm assuming my last 3 in person interviews, and even more online applications simply aren't appealing enough. Is there something I'm missing along the way??

I'm assuming my last 3 in person interviews, and even more online applications simply aren't appealing enough. Is there something I'm missing along the way??
You got that far, and not further?
How did you perceive you did in the interview?

By any chance, did you give any indication of being "interested" in trains, or being a railfan? Just curious...

After some thought I decided I'd try to connect again with Amtrak, I figure perhaps 4 "entry level" positions being a hard "no" might lead to something else. Oddly enough I applied again to another "entry level" position, a common laborer, to which I received my quickest response ever. Not only was it the same old email but now the system no longer allows me to apply even though the pose has been open for a week. I thought I'd make a new account and see if maybe that could expedite things, within 24 hours I got another email, same old news. The position remains open, the criteria required hasn't changed yet I'm being instantly written off. I'm assuming my last 3 in person interviews, and even more online applications simply aren't appealing enough. Is there something I'm missing along the way.

This discussion makes me wonder if Amtrak has some kind of racial quotas (i.e. affirmative action) going on. If so, this would expand opportunities for some but would reduce opportunities for others.

For Amtrak the process is as follows:

Apply to a job
If your application is of interest they'll send you an email with a hogan's test
If that is a passing grade they may send you for a strength test (Depending on job)
If that's a pass then the hiring managers and HR select who to interview

For block operators they must qualify on 4 towers.

Zoo, Overbrook, Paoli, and Thorn.
After reading this, and all the feedback from everyone who works for Amtrak and/or has been through the process, I’m definitely thinking it is not going to happen. I have a physical disability, having had 4 spinal surgeries. I cannot, not should I, lift more than 30 pounds. I also suffer from chronic pain. In addition, I take several prescribed controlled substances for my pain and anxiety disorder. Now, I definitely wont tell whomever interviews me any of this stuff, but I definitely would struggle. I thought that the Block Operator was a “hands on desk job” involving computers, but it definitely seems like I need to be in good shape for it. I have an overwhelming interest in railroads but no railroading experience.

After reading this, and all the feedback from everyone who works for Amtrak and/or has been through the process, I’m definitely thinking it is not going to happen. I have a physical disability, having had 4 spinal surgeries. I cannot, not should I, lift more than 30 pounds. I also suffer from chronic pain. In addition, I take several prescribed controlled substances for my pain and anxiety disorder. Now, I definitely wont tell whomever interviews me any of this stuff, but I definitely would struggle. I thought that the Block Operator was a “hands on desk job” involving computers, but it definitely seems like I need to be in good shape for it. I have an overwhelming interest in railroads but no railroading experience.
I am not certain, but believe Block Operators in some locations may require able bodied individuals to perform certain functions. Even climbing ladders to get to towers, or bridge tender cabins. May also need to be able to operate hand-thrown switches or other similar functions. Not to mention handing up train orders to passing locomotives.🤷‍♂️

Back