Carolinian 80(9) Grade Crossing accident

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For a vehicle of that type (not articulated) and of a given overall length, increasing the rear overhang reduces the vehicles wheelbase which decreases its turning radius. And I suspect a short turning radius is important for a vehicle used for delivery in urban areas where space is limited.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some misconceptions here. Having followed ( misnomer ) some oversize rigs often go slower than 5 MPH.. This rig probably was going about 3 - 5 MPH. That means 3-1/2 - 7 feet per second. No way the rig would ever clear in the 25 seconds of a normal crossing circuit. It had 164 feet + another 25 - 30 feet to clear any fouling of crossing gates. 195 feet = 27 - 54 seconds to cross CSX if the rig was going straight. Add in maybe maneuvering around crossing gates. Add in the maneuvering to make the left turn? As a driver I would anticipate it taking as long as 10 minutes.

There are some misconceptions here. Having followed ( misnomer ) some oversize rigs often go slower than 5 MPH.. This rig probably was going about 3 - 5 MPH. That means 3-1/2 - 7 feet per second. No way the rig would ever clear in the 25 seconds of a normal crossing circuit. It had 164 feet + another 25 - 30 feet to clear any fouling of crossing gates. 195 feet = 27 - 54 seconds to cross CSX if the rig was going straight. Add in maybe maneuvering around crossing gates. Add in the maneuvering to make the left turn? As a driver I would anticipate it taking as long as 10 minutes.

Yes, I concede that these high, wide, & long loads can make turns. But the placement of the wheels at the center of the load means that a 150' load has a 75' "tail" from the pivot point to the rear. On a 2- or 3-lane road, that long tail can't swing freely if the road is lined with telephone poles, street signs, traffic signs, fire hydrants, mailboxes, etc. West Point's math is probably about right. Ten minutes sounds like a nice, practical minimum for a movement of this kind. I have no idea what the maximum would be. I doubt that there is a railroad crossing in this country where the train normally trips the circuit ten full minutes before it reaches the crossing. Therefore I repeat, the call must be made before any attempt is made to pass into the grade crossing limits.

If there is no legal requirement that a call must be made in advance, then the legitimacy of the whole permitting process is in question. How can any State official certify that such a move can be made safely without a requirement that the railroad be notified in advance?

I suspect the manufacturers of these oversized loads must have an awful lot of political clout in their States. However, this movement must have been permitted for NC, VA, MD, PA, and NJ. Surely somebody in at least one of these States must have looked at the permit application with some misgivings.

Here is a picture of the intersection from an AP story the day after the crash. The original intent of the picture was to show the sign with the CSX Emergency Call Number which was prominently visible at the crossing. Can anyone see a problem here?

Yes, it looks like that box truck in the photo is blocking the RR Xing just waiting for the traffic light to change.

Anyone care to guess/estimate how often this happens each day here?? That box truck could just as easily be a school bus.

attachicon.gif
Amtrak Truck Crash-1 sign.jpg
That phone number will call the dispatcher for that section of track. He or She can call all trains and tell them of the situation.

prech

school bus drivers should be stopping before the tracks and only crossing once they can clear the tracks

The same goes for a tractor/trailer being operated by a driver that has a CDL (Commercial Drivers License) even if it's not an oversize load,
No. It doesn't! They don't have to stop if they have enough space on the other side to clear the tracks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The same goes for a tractor/trailer being operated by a driver that has a CDL (Commercial Drivers License) even if it's not an oversize load,
No. It doesn't! They don't have to stop if they have enough space on the other side to clear the tracks.
Aloha

Probably no longer true, but when I had my Class 7 DL in Hawaii, before they adopted the CDL license provisions all vehicles longer that 28 feet had to stop at all railroad crossings.except for the one on the Maui Tourist RR, that had a swivel gate. this gate at the terminal end blocked the tracks and a worker would turn it to block the road when the train left the station. I suspect the rules changed around 85.

Which is what the post above mine I was replying to was saying - if they have enough space on the other side to clear the tracks.

prech

school bus drivers should be stopping before the tracks and only crossing once they can clear the tracks

Truck hauling Hazmat loaded do have to stop.

Also truck are not allow to change gears while crossing railroad tracks.

If you look at photo from the day after, you will see the bigger issue is that the traffic light is just on the other side of the tracks. A set up which is just dangerous. Even with the traffic lights set up to be override by the railroads crossing. You got 20 to 30 seconds before the train goes by. Simple placing the traffic light before the grade crossing, and not permitting right on red. Much safer crossing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back