Carolinian

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmgreenesq

Lead Service Attendant
Greetings Gang:

The immigration service is doing something unexpected. I have a client in the middle of nowhere Tennessee who wants to become a US citizen. I requested for the service to hold her naturalization hering in Washington, DC. I expected the service to send her file to Memphis. It seems that they are actually sending her to Charlotte, NC (sic?).

So not its time to hit the road to Charlotte. The route that works the best for me is RTE to WAS on 67 the overnight train and then pick up the Carolinian to Charlotte.

Alan, you had written in an earlier post that you thought this train used Amfleet II cars instead of Cramfleet I cars. Any way to confirm this? Any real advantage to business class on this train?

Rick

I caught the Carolinian a few weeks ago, and it had all A-I's. The Business Class probably would be a plus for a daylong journey into Charlotte. I'm going to DC today, and will be zipping into ALX to watch the trains pass, so if I make it in time for #79, I'll let you know what I see.

Rick, I rode 80 from Charlotte to Philadelphia back in July, and the train does indeed use all Amfleet I's. I spent the extra money for a Business Class seat, and oh man was it worth it. I had a pair of seats to myself the entire journey, the car was very quiet, and I had access to soda whenever I desired it free of charge in the rear of the car. The Carolinian's sister train (the Palmetto bug) does use an Amfleet I Club Dinette and Amfleet II coaches. Along the route from NYP-SSM the two trains run so close together time wise that some untrained sighters may say they saw the Carolinian when they actually saw the Palmetto (and vice versa). So, if it were me, I'd spend the couple extra bucks and go business class.

Thanks for the reply. Amtrak.com wants to put me on the Cresent #19. At least I'd get the Amfleet II car. The problem with #19 is the 2:20 am arrival.

Business class on the Carolinian is cheap and is something I probably will buy. I just wish it got me into the Club Acela in WAS for the 3 hour layover.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think because the Crescent has lower ridership they try their hardest to get you on the Crescent if they can. #19's times through Charlotte really do leave something to be desired, but at least the Carolinian has decent times.

Business class on the Carolinian is cheap and is something I probably will buy. I just wish it got me into the Club Acela in WAS for the 3 hour layover.
Business class won't do it, but if you ride Acela to and/or from DC in First Class, then you can get into the lounge.

Or you could consider trading 5,000 AGR points for some coupons that will get you into the lounge. But note that you have to use all 5 coupons up before Feb 28, 07.

Business class won't do it, but if you ride Acela to and/or from DC in First Class, then you can get into the lounge.
Unfortunatly the Acela schedule does not work for the trip down. The Crackberry Express (the 5:00 am BOS Acela departure) arrives at WAS 15 minutes after the Carolinian pulls out. The only train that works for the Carolinian Southbound is #67.

I'll probably do the Regional #67/Carolinian down, attend the hearing, have dinner in Charlotte and then head back north early the next morning on the Cresent. Perhaps the Acela will be in order for that trip.

Rick

You can indeed catch an Acela out of WAS (or NYP) on the return trip if you take 20 north. There is about $100 mark up vs taking a Regional, but it is what it is. The other reason why I believe they may try to encourage people to take the Crescent vs the Carolinian to CLT is that it actually makes the run faster than the Carolinian.

Rick,

Consist of today's Carolinian:

IMG_4268.jpg

P-42 #163

Baggage #1232

Business Class Car #26024

Cafe Car #43360

Amfleet I Coach #82058

Amfleet I Coach #82043

Amfleet I Coach #82557

Amfleet I Coach #82603

Coach ridership looked nice and healthy out of ALX. I'd think Business would be a no-brainer for a daylong trip like this, and I'm one who would never do a Business upgrade for a 3 hour or less ride on the NEC.

Well based upon that consist listing, I'd certainly recommend upgrading to Business Class, since that BC car is an Amfleet II long distance coach.

That would be far more comfortable than an Amfleet I for all those hours.

Thanks for the advice and the pictures. Think I'll purchase the upgrade. Now If I can only convince Amtrak to put a Viewliner on train #67.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back