Carry On Restrictions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin L.

Service Attendant
Not being a fan of checked baggage in the least, and not being able to use it on the Cardinal + Hoosier state, I plan to lug my battle tested duffel bag on my journey, but now I find that my trusty bag is a bit over the limit.

Amtrak says that their policy is 28"x22"x14", and "strictly enforced". My bag happens to be 30"x14.5"x16". Will the Amtrak staff be shoving my bag into the guillotine to cut it down to specifications (or at least refusing stowage), or will my bag which is less than 200 cubic inches too big be allowed on the train?

I just barely manage to get all the stuff I'll need into my one bag; sacrifices would have to be made to go 200 inches lower, but I'd rather do that --if need be--then end up roaming the country with just the clothes on my back.

Thanks again for your insight.

Volumes:

Provision: 6776 cubic inches

Possessed: 6960 cubic inches

I find that "strictly enforced" means "if you check it, and it is beyond the limits, we can reject it" and "if you ask for help from someone like an agent or Red Cap, and it is over the limit, we can reject it" and "if we see you trying to carry it, and you are having trouble, we can reject it". However, if you do not check it, have no trouble moving it yourself and have no problem storing it on the train, I highly doubt that they will say NO!

Not being a fan of checked baggage in the least, and not being able to use it on the Cardinal + Hoosier state, I plan to lug my battle tested duffel bag on my journey, but now I find that my trusty bag is a bit over the limit.
Amtrak says that their policy is 28"x22"x14", and "strictly enforced". My bag happens to be 30"x14.5"x16". Will the Amtrak staff be shoving my bag into the guillotine to cut it down to specifications (or at least refusing stowage), or will my bag which is less than 200 cubic inches too big be allowed on the train?

I just barely manage to get all the stuff I'll need into my one bag; sacrifices would have to be made to go 200 inches lower, but I'd rather do that --if need be--then end up roaming the country with just the clothes on my back.

Thanks again for your insight.

Volumes:

Provision: 6776 cubic inches

Possessed: 6960 cubic inches
In Flagstaff this summer we had a bag that was over the weight limit. Things had to be taken out until until it reached the acceptable weight limit or they would not check the bag. I'm sure the same would happen if the bag's size exceeded policy.

Now, if it's carry-on, I've never seen any Amtrak employee with a tape measure and a scale checking out those with carry-on's for weight/size violations. If you exceed the number of allowed bags though, that's a different case and you could then be taken off to the hoosgow! :huh: :lol:

As long as you don't cause problems conductors typically won't mind. I twice managed a small suitcase, my laptop bag, my backpack, and a stuffed lunch box all as carryon on the CL.

Granted at CHI I checked the suitcase so as not having to carry it to PDX, but still. I have no problem with carrying all that... I'm damn sure footed.

I think it should be called "carry-on without problem"

However, if you do not check it, have no trouble moving it yourself and have no problem storing it on the train, I highly doubt that they will say NO!
From my experience, that is really the key. If you can enter the train, maneuver the vestibule, and get down the isle, with your luggage without causing any problems, delays, congestion, or trouble, you will be OK.

My backpack has sometimes been an inch or two over the 14". I don't think the crew has ever paid enough attention to it to even contemplate whether it might be slightly too big. Then again, IIRC it's not particularily close to the limit on the other two dimensions.

I did run into a slight bit of difficulty on a Crystal Transport bus that substituted for train 448; on my first try, the backpack did not fit into the overhead bin. I contemplated opening it up to try to rearrange its contents, but it ended up fitting just fine on the second try; and there was luggage space under the bus for larger carryon luggage (like the duffel bag I was also carrying, which was just not going to fit in the overhead bins).

The official answer from any conductor or OBS crew member I've ever talked to is "If you can bring it on and off by yourself and you don't take up revenue seats you can bring anything and everything you want as a carry on".

I've even seen people get on the Crescent in Tuscaloosa with large black garbage bags full of plants dug up from their grandmother's yard. So I seriously doubt a slightly over-sized duffel bag will get even a second glance.

The official answer from any conductor or OBS crew member I've ever talked to is "If you can bring it on and off by yourself and you don't take up revenue seats you can bring anything and everything you want as a carry on".
I've even seen people get on the Crescent in Tuscaloosa with large black garbage bags full of plants dug up from their grandmother's yard. So I seriously doubt a slightly over-sized duffel bag will get even a second glance.
Thanks for the information--my slightly over-sized duffel and I will be boarding in just under a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back