Quantcast

Carts for luggage

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Skeets

Train Attendant
Do the stations in Seattle, Chicago, New York City, New Orleans, St. Louis and Los Angeles sell carts to use to put your luggage on? (Am planning a 15 day rail pass trip...)

pennyk

Conductor
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
There are "free" luggage carts in the Orlando station and the JAX station (probably others, but I do not recall which ones).

Skeets

Train Attendant
Richie Rich, those are exactly the type of carts I am thinking of. I am really going to have to refigure my packing if carts are not available.

bratkinson

OBS Chief
I think that for the most part, baggage carts, other than those used by Red Caps, have become a rarity. The cause? Wheeled luggage.

Another culprit? The money boxes for carts that required a dollar or so to be inserted to free a cart were vandalized, essentially wiping out the income of the owners. Damaged or lost/stolen 'free' carts owned by Amtrak likely contributed to their demise as well.

These days, almost all larger luggage that I've observed has wheels. And those that don't, quite often has a separate fold-up cart underneath. The days of schlepping big suitcases without wheels is largely gone. I don't recall seeing any for sale in the past 20 years or so that didn't have wheels.

As for NYP, CHI, and other locations with red caps available, I'm sure they like getting some business, and the tips that go with it. Hence, no carts.

RichieRich

Lead Service Attendant
Yes! But there are 2 of us - 2 connecting bedrooms. Doing the AutoTrain once-a-month now. Wish there was an "owners closet"!! LOL LOL LOL