Cascades Derailment in Vancouver, BC Christmas Day

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cascadia

OBS Chief
Yesterday we had tickets to ride the Cascades from Vancouver, BC, to Bellingham, WA, in the evening. We got to the station early at around 4:15, my boyfriend picked up his ticket at the VIA counter and they didn't say anything to him about status.

We waited for a while and thought it was encouraging that all the immigration guys were already there behind the glass doors where you go to get processed before you board.

Then one of the station security guard ladies told us that the train that came up in the morning, the 510, had derailed in the yard there at the station when it was coming in, and that all of the passengers were still on the train from that run, they had been stuck on the train all afternoon on Christmas Day.

Nobody knew what was going on. Another guy had picked up his ticket and wasn't told of any potential delay or anything about the situation.

We were talking with one woman who had left home super early the day before, and gotten stuck on the SkyTrain for four hours and missed the train departure Christmas Eve by 5 minutes. So this was her second attempt to get out of town.

Then we heard that they had brought buses and customs personnel to unload the train and drive them to the station. So the passengers piled into the station in a couple of stages, the poor things.

We got to have an interesting conversation with a nice couple who had ridden the train from Seattle for a lark, they only meant to spend the afternoon in Vancouver and ride back that evening, just a day trip. They had such a great attitude! They said they didn't care that they had spent the whole day stuck in the train and then gotten off only to be herded back on a bus home again. They were eating McDonald's there at the bus station with our group for the bus that would stop at all the stations between Vancouver and Seattle, the "short bus" as it were.

We had fun talking to the other people, another guy had meant to go yesterday but had been unable to get public transportation from where he lives in Vancouver, with the trolley buses disabled, the SkyTrain all screwed up from a tree that fell, and taxis overburdened.

One couple had a place in Bellingham and they just thought they'd go visit, normally they drive, they thought they'd take the train for something "different", they didn't need to go, so after a while of waiting while it sunk in that they'd be taking a bus when they didn't really need to, they bowed out in the end.

Anyway the one couple that had been stuck in the train all day and were heading back, and were so great about it, they said the train derailed when it was going into the wye, because of the packed snow.

I'm sure everything that happened was compounded by the fact that it was a major holiday, the train was already running short of one conductor, also since it was an Amtrak train and it was in Canada they don't have their own support systems available like they would if it happened in an American station. The reason they couldn't let the passengers off was because they didn't have the immigration and customs personnel on the spot to process them, plus for safety how could you detrain them in a railyard with no transportation.

I felt bad for the crew, what a day.

Another crew was heading up from Seattle and I'm sure running into transportation difficulties on the way too, but they were needed to take the train back to Seattle whenever they get it in order again.

My boyfriend and I got off easy. the charter bus came and we left on time, I had a nice conversation with a fellow passenger from Venezuela on the way back, the border crossing went very smoothly, I think the guys there made an extra effort to process us quickly and efficiently and get us on our way for Christmas. Plus, we beat the other bus there and they were behind us and had to wait for us, instead of the other way around.

So, it wasn't too bad for us, except when we really had our doubts whether we were going anywhere, and the information available was so scant. I had been checking the northbound train status that morning, and when it was almost time for it to arrive in Vancouver and the status was saying "estimated arrival time, 10 minutes late" I figured there was no problem. I am not sure that if we had checked on the internet again before we left in the afternoon, that it would have given us any useful information about a possible service outage.

Hope everyone had a fine Christmas if they celebrated it, I sure feel bad for all the people who were stranded in Greyhound stations and airports here in the Pacific Northwest and else where.

Makes you want to re-think whether holiday travel is so crucial under adverse weather circumstances, I hope in the future more people say, "See you in January!" or whatever and play it safe if there's a question.

Thank you, Cascadia, for a very interesting story, though one perhaps better suited for the Trip Report forum.

It was heartening to read your descriptions of how various folks dealt so well in the face of adversity.

Thank you, Cascadia, for a very interesting story, though one perhaps better suited for the Trip Report forum.
It was heartening to read your descriptions of how various folks dealt so well in the face of adversity.
You are right it maybe should have gone in trip reports, but I put it here because I don't know if the situation is resolved yet so it is still maybe useful information for a potential traveler, there wasn't anything very useful up on the Amtrak site last time I checked, they just referred to a

"service disruption". There had been so little information available to the travelers yesterday, I thought someone might see this and it might help if they are traveling today. For sure anyone headed north from Seattle will be on a bus if such a thing is available.

I meant to add too that that nice couple who took the whole thing in stride, said that the train passengers ended up sorting themselves out into one car that was taking it well and not bothered, and another car of people who were pissed off and having a fit, I thought that was pretty funny that she said that.

I think that I'll leave it here for the rest of today and move it to the Trip Report Forum at some point tomorrow.

That train must still be stuck in Vancouver, when you go to check the departure time for the 517 out of VAC, it says:

Information Unavailable: Sorry, due to a service disruption, we are unable to provide estimated departure and arrival times. For additional assistance, please contact us at 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

I forgot to say that the people who were on that train said something about broken rails where that train derailed. I can see how it would be very difficult to mobilize a repair crew for this whole incident, the roads are so bad with the weather and then there was the holiday to contend with.

I'm sure they have buses though for the passengers today, that's one good thing. Yesterday when we were wondering what to do, before we knew there was an Amtrak bus, we went over to the Greyhound window and there were signs taped up "all buses sold out".

The people in our group who had been in the station on Christmas Eve said the station had been packed with people, and that many of them were very upset and crying and cursing, I think my boyfriend and I got off easy and everything went very well for us compared with the difficulties others were having.

That trainset they use for the 510/517 Seattle to Vancouver, BC run, the Superliner set, is still stuck in Vancouver. My boyfriend went back north this morning on a motorcoach substitution, and the same message shows on the web site tonight about no information due to a service disruption.

The train derailed on Christmas Day, then December 26 is Boxing Day, a major holiday in Canada, the road conditions for driving are still very difficult in the whole region, and now the snow is melting with rainfall and they are experiencing flooding in a lot of areas. Today was the 27th but it was a Saturday of a Holiday Weekend. I suppose they've been having trouble mobilizing the right workers to get it going, then when they do they need an Amtrak crew there to run it, which are all based out of Seattle.

I'll be interested to know when they do get the poor old thing unstuck and moving again. Hope you guys don't mind me hogging up the board with updates about "my" train.

Apparently #2 the Eastbound Canadian's departure from Vancouve also did not take place due to some derailment there. I am wondering if it is the same derailment that caused the Canadian also to be cancelled.

Apparently #2 the Eastbound Canadian's departure from Vancouve also did not take place due to some derailment there. I am wondering if it is the same derailment that caused the Canadian also to be cancelled.
That's an interesting addition to this story jis, thanks for your input. The Cascades train got stuck as it was entering the wye, or so I was told. That could cause a problem for an outgoing train?

why can't via rail move the derailed amtrak train onto the tracks and out of the way.
My guess is that the heavy snow is complicating things, both in terms of rerailing the train as well as repairing any damage to the track and switches.
The heavy snow was the root cause of the derailment and the root cause of the delay, and then there was the melting and flooding, the major holidays including the 26th, the road conditions preventing crews and other employees from traveling.

I wonder how much trouble and conflict was caused by it being an American Amtrak train on Canadian tracks in a Canadian station?

There is encouraging wording on the Amtrak train status system, I asked for the status of the 517 departing VAC today and here is what it said:

The scheduled departure time is 5:45 pm. Presently, no further information is available. Please check back later for updated information.

That's the normal wording for when you ask way early before the train is going anywhere - no mention of a service disruption or telling you to call the toll free number! Bet the workers up there are mighty relieved if they got this situation straightened out!

I wish I would have written my subject line differently, I should have put "Christmas Day" instead of "yesterday".

Okay, she's running again, I just heard her out the window! coming into Bellingham now.

Arriving: Bellingham, WA (BEL)

Service 517 Cascades Arrives Bellingham, WA(BEL) 7:40 pm 28-DEC-08

28-DEC-08 (8:12 pm) estimated Estimated Arrival Time: 32 minutes late.

She got stuck in the a.m. on Dec. 25th, sat there for the 26th and 27th and all day today, now on the evening of the 28th she is officially underway.

I am sure there are some happy crew members and passengers on board.

I would like to know more about how this affected VIA rail and the Canadian, if this derailment was indeed the one that prevented the Canadian's departure.

I do have a question though, about how crew members get paid for transit time, when they have to travel to go take over for a dead crew, or to go meet a train like this one, are they compensated for the hours in transit and the hours waiting if they get there and the train can't go?

It just makes me curious because I know there was a crew on the way up from Seattle, which is three or four hours away, as early as Christmas night, do you think they just stayed at the hotel in Vancouver until the train could leave? No one knew when that would be.

How would that work? do they have some kind of reduced pay scale for being away from home but on call, and for driving 4 hours to get to work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back