Cascades Seats - Upgrades? Configurations?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonLoaf

Train Attendant
I hopped on the Cascades 507 in Portland a couple days ago and saw a few very nice looking tan leather seats in the coach car I was passing through to get to my assigned car. I am 100% certain it was a coach car. Are the Cascades seats being gradually upgraded as they need replacing? Does anyone know anything about these seats? I was surprised to see them, and will make a point to ask the conductor about them the next time I am on the train.

Also, some Talgo coach cars are equipped with a single seat on one side, and two on the other, while others have two seats per side. The information I can get from Amtrak on the web implies that only Business Class comes with the former configuration, not coach. But these are definitely coach cars (as evinced by the standard amount of legroom). Just curious as to the origin of these different seating configurations, if anyone has an inkling.

Thanks for any info you may provide!

I hopped on the Cascades 507 in Portland a couple days ago and saw a few very nice looking tan leather seats in the coach car I was passing through to get to my assigned car. I am 100% certain it was a coach car. Are the Cascades seats being gradually upgraded as they need replacing? Does anyone know anything about these seats? I was surprised to see them, and will make a point to ask the conductor about them the next time I am on the train.
I'm not sure about the faux leather seating, but it is possible that they starting an upgrade of the seats on those cars.

Also, some Talgo coach cars are equipped with a single seat on one side, and two on the other, while others have two seats per side. The information I can get from Amtrak on the web implies that only Business Class comes with the former configuration, not coach. But these are definitely coach cars (as evinced by the standard amount of legroom). Just curious as to the origin of these different seating configurations, if anyone has an inkling.
That definately is Business Class seating, the cars with 2 & 1. I've not stopped to measure to see if the pitch (legroom) is the same or not, but the seats are wider than the standard seats in coach and therefore roomier than the normal coach seats. Personally on my one quick walk through a coach car, it did appear that I had a bit more legroom in my BC seat, but again I didn't actually measure.

Actually, the handicap accessible coach cars have 2+1 seating, with standard coach seats.

Actually, the handicap accessible coach cars have 2+1 seating, with standard coach seats.
Thank you, how stupid of me! I should have realized it was a handicapped accessible car. Yes, the legroom was definitely coach class, though I sat in a seat at the end of the car that offered even more legroom than I could use... probably the seat I would vacate if a wheelchair came aboard.

I will be sure to investigate the leather or faux leather seats next week. Hopefully the same car will be in use.

I've been (and noted in another thread) that the Cascades Talgos are going through a refurbishing process this year. The faux leather seats may be a part of said process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back