Cascades

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be going to Seattle in a few weeks and one of several opportunity comes up in my mind- riding Cascades to either Portland or Vancouver.

Are those seats are slightly larger than the coach class? How many seats are in each row- 2/2 or 1/2?

2+1, plus a $3 (IIRC) coupon for something in the lounge.

As for Portland or Vancouver, you can't go wrong with either one, but my personal bias would be towards Vancouver.

The Cascades are awesome trains and clearly win my award for the most comfortable and well designed and equipped trains for passenger comfort. I only had the pleasure of making one trip on them (Seattle to Eugene) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I am envious - have fun!

The seats in first class are about the same size as in coach class. However, they are arranged differently. On one side of the train (usually the left side--facing north on a northbound train), the seats are paired, while the seats on the right are single (they also do this for first class compartments on Acela and on the TGV and other first class trains (compartments) in Europe. You do get amenities in first class that you don't in coach: $3 coupon toward purchase of food/beverage in the bistro car; free headsets to hear the movie and/or music (coach passengers pay $4); special check-in and first class passengers are allowed to board the train first (before coach passengers). I think you also get a free newspaper. Also, first class is usually quieter.

The ride from Seattle to Vancouver, BC, is one of the prettiest rides anywhere especially since you will be traveling along the water (Puget Sound and its various arms) for over half the route; the rest is through pastoral valleys (such as the Skagit). One caveat: the train makes its northbound journey in the morning (leaving Seattle about 7:30am), which is fine; southbound, the train's run is largely at night this time of year(leaving Vancouver at about 6pm). If seeing the scenery is important to you, that is something to consider. However, traveling through the darkness will give you more time to watch the movie and read that free newspaper. Make sure you have proper identification for crossing the borders. Customs is accomplished northbound at the Pacific Central Station after the train arrives; southbound, the train stops at Blaine, F-men board the train, the train continues, the agents complete their customs duty while the train rolls on, getting off at Bellingham. Vancouver is an extremely beautiful city--both the manmade wonders and the natural ones. This time of year, Vancouver is known for its constant rain, but it is warm, in comparison to the prairies and other eastern provinces and US states. Same with Seattle and Portland. The ride is also scenic between Seattle and Portland; you also have the same problems with some train schedules that leave either city in the early evening (from Seattle at 5:25pm; from Portland at 6:15pm) hours, when it is dark. Still, it's a lot of fun.

Here are a couple of pictures I took last year as we rode in the first class car from Seattle to Portland.

cascade01.jpg

cascade02.jpg

As I recall, the business class on this train didn't recline back very far. Some, but not as it would on a Viewliner or Superliner coach. I could be wrong, though.

steve_relei said:
southbound, the train stops at Blaine, F-men board the train, the train continues, the agents complete their customs duty while the train rolls on, getting off at Bellingham.
Actually, that's not true (and hasn't been for, from what I understand, four years). The customs folks perform their entire inspection in Blaine, and the train continues when they get off.

Back