CDL - CHI daytrip turn

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wky

I'm thinking of doing an all day trip just for fun from Carbondale - Chicago, and then back three hours later, on the Saluki and Illini. I'm assuming that with the three hour window between these two trains this is a safe enough bet? Also, is business class worth it on this route? Is it the 2-1 club seating still?

Thanks, that is what I figured. Actually just ran across rtabern's video on here taken on one of these trains a few days ago (he did the opposite daytrip turn from what I would be doing), and they do still have the 2-1 business class seating. I've done a good bit of research on here lately, and while I've never taken Amtrak anywhere so far, I'm thinking this would be a good fun option for me to sorta get my feet wet on a limited budget and with limited free time right now. I live a couple of hours from CDL.

Thanks, that is what I figured. Actually just ran across rtabern's video on here taken on one of these trains a few days ago (he did the opposite daytrip turn from what I would be doing), and they do still have the 2-1 business class seating. I've done a good bit of research on here lately, and while I've never taken Amtrak anywhere so far, I'm thinking this would be a good fun option for me to sorta get my feet wet on a limited budget and with limited free time right now. I live a couple of hours from CDL.
Hope you enjoyed the video... well, as much as you can enjoy a video of a train stopped during a Tornado Warning. :eek:hboy:

Anyway, I did the reverse of what you are plotting... and it was actually a fun day trip. The trains were scheduled to leave at 8:15AM and get back at 10:45PM. Pretty long... but I physced myself up for it... and was traveling with a friend... so that made it even more fun. Because of the storms, we got back at 2:05AM, so we were pretty exhausted... but I'd consider doing a CHI-CDL-CHI turn again.

If you can afford it, I'd recommend the upgrade to business class. It's $16 more... and you get a free drink... so it's only really $14 more. That averages out to just like $3 more an hour you are aboard.

I'd recommend Italian Village restaurant if you're looking for a decent place to eat near the station in CDL.

Another fun CDL run, although it is only two hours of train riding, is CDL-Centralia-CDL.

Leave CDL at 5:15p on the 392.

Arrive Centralia at 6:10. Eat at the trackside Centralia House (ck their website)

Leave Centralia at 8:10p on the 393.

Back in CDL at 9:35 with a full belly !

I'm thinking of doing an all day trip just for fun from Carbondale - Chicago, and then back three hours later, on the Saluki and Illini. I'm assuming that with the three hour window between these two trains this is a safe enough bet?
Well, if your northbound train is running very late, you could always detrain in beautiful Homewood and wait for the southbound train there.

Thanks for all the info/suggestions, guys. Looking forward to getting to do this. May eventually do an overnight trip on the CONO too, when time and money permits. I'm thinking when I do that I'd leave from CDL on the Saluki that morning, spend a few hours in CHI before catching the CONO south, and then do the same thing in reverse coming back. (would rather have a few hours to kill each way in CHI than to have to depart from/arrive at CDL in the middle of the night.) Incidentally, what is the parking like at the station in CDL? I've been in that area before but never actually to the station.

There is a public parking lot at the station. I've left my car a couple of times for a week long trip and once for two weeks with no problems. See the agent in the station for a parking pass to hang on your car if you leave it for an extended period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back