Change of CZ's Consist Order

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed this post on railroad.net about the move of the CZ's sleepers to the rear. Any sense as to why Amtrak would make this change?
Unless they are going to put the baggage on the rear or run without a baggage car this makes no sense. The passengers that get rooms in the transdorm would have to walk through the coaches and the lounge to get to the diner.

When I took the Crescent to NOL in January, the Viewliners were on the rear of the train after being on the front for years. Same for all Eastern LD Trains. Now I understand they're back up front. At the time I heard it was because too many people complained about the horn interrupting their sleep. Then people complained about the ride so they moved them back.

Bill J

It sounds like the Denver sleeper is going to be a bit more of a regular occurrence, so I guess they want to keep all the sleepers together?

Bill, the Crescent switch (and on all the Silvers) was based on the proximity of vestibules and the diner.

I wonder if the Superliners will have the same ride-quality problems the rear-end Viewliers evidently did. Fortunately, moving Superliner sleepers behind Superliner diners, lounges, coaches, doesn't uglify the trainset :p

I wonder if the Superliners will have the same ride-quality problems the rear-end Viewliers evidently did. Fortunately, moving Superliner sleepers behind Superliner diners, lounges, coaches, doesn't uglify the trainset
tongue.gif
In May I rode the PDX sleeper from PDX to CHI. It was on the rear of the train and they hadn't started putting the MSP coach on, yet.

Though I don't ride that often I didn't notice any discernible difference than when I was on the CS the day before and in the "middle" of the consist.

So, maybe Superliners are better than Viewliners when on the end of the train.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if the Superliners will have the same ride-quality problems the rear-end Viewliers evidently did. Fortunately, moving Superliner sleepers behind Superliner diners, lounges, coaches, doesn't uglify the trainset :p
Really, I mean I gotta ask, does it really bother people what order the cars are in, from an aesthetic point of view? Sure it's nice to have all the same equipment, same paint scheme, etc., etc. However, my favorite pix of Amtrak are the very early year(s) when Amtrak put out all kinds of "rainbow consists".

Some trains looked like they had plucked cars from every predecessor railroad, thrown them in a blender, and said, "Presto, you are now the North Coast Hiawatha."

Also, I don't "get" the complaint of having to walk thru the coaches to get to the diner? Mobility impaired? I get that. Limiting/preventing coach pax from walking into sleepers, I get that. But who cares if you have to walk two, three, or more cars to get to diner? Lord knows I need the exercise..........

When I took the CONO about six years ago we were in the sleeper that was on the bottom. Granted I've got the walking on trains thing down for trips to the Diner or Lounge, but my Mom was not happy with it compared to being on the Sunset where we were right next to the diner. I definitely thought that the ride was rougher being on the rear, and I've even seen it. On a longer train you can see that the last car is generally swaying a lot more than any other car.

Since I, like many of our members, have the good fortune to have ridden most of the LD trains with the sleepers both on the front and rear of the train have the following comments:

1)the exercise you get walking to/from the diner and lounge from your sleeper (or coach)is a plus/the minus is that lots of times all the seats in the cafe/lounge get snagged by pax that are closer/also more convient if you need to go to your room/seat for a quick break (or a "quickie" if you are on your honeymoon or get "lucky" :lol: )

2) as to the placement of the sleepers, the horn doesnt bother me, Id just as soon ride in the transdorm or have the sleeper in the front with the exception of the Boston section of the LSL or the PDX sleeper on the EB,thats a long walk to/from the diner and lounge! I have found on some routes, if the sleeper is in the rear like the NYP section of the LSL, the PDX sleeper on the EB or the cutout sleeper on the TE, that the ride can be rougher and bouncier! (the tail wagging the dog!) :eek:

BUT: BEING ON ANY TRAIN GOING ANYWHERE BEATS NOT BEING ON ONE!!! :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Riding in the last row of seats in the last Amfleet on the Crescent, we were wagging all over the place, the ride sucked.

Riding in the PDX sleeper on the EB, I didn't notice it at all. We were in room "E", so just forward of center, but even in the time that I spent standing back at the railfan window, the ride was much much better than it was for that night on the Crescent.

Of course, there are a million other variables (like track condition), but I'd say that it's a safe bet that the Superliners ride better when you're in the last car.

Really, I mean I gotta ask, does it really bother people what order the cars are in, from an aesthetic point of view? Sure it's nice to have all the same equipment, same paint scheme, etc., etc. However, my favorite pix of Amtrak are the very early year(s) when Amtrak put out all kinds of "rainbow consists".
Me personally? No, a train is a train, and IT IS AWESOME! But, give a politician two trains to choose from to support, they'll go for the one with the [mostly] matching consist more than likely.

I rode the PDX sleeper in Bedroom A on the back. I didn't notice any difference in ride. I think Superliners are heavier than Amfleets, so that could be the difference!

As much as I hate Bedroom A, the plus side is I was 10 feet from the railfan's window! (And I was there much of the time!) Also the walk though 5 cars to get to the Dining Car didn't bother me. It was a good excuse to burn off the extra calories from all the extra food I ate!
laugh.gif

I rode the PDX sleeper in Bedroom A on the back. I didn't notice any difference in ride. I think Superliners are heavier than Amfleets, so that could be the difference!

As much as I hate Bedroom A, the plus side is I was 10 feet from the railfan's window!
That just goes to show you they sleeping car can face either direction. When I was in that car in May the roomettes were toward the rear of the train and the bedrooms toward the dining car.

That just goes to show you they sleeping car can face either direction. When I was in that car in May the roomettes were toward the rear of the train and the bedrooms toward the dining car.
You don't have the connections I do!
mosking.gif
I said that if I have to get the last Bedroom on the EB (via an AGR award of course
tongue.gif
) that Bedroom A better be on the rear!
biggrin.gif

As much as I hate Bedroom A, the plus side is I was 10 feet from the railfan's window!
Indeed, that's the way that it was oriented for us in late April. Wonder if it was the same consist/car (we were in 32077 the District of Columbia).

Indeed, that's the way that it was oriented for us in late April. Wonder if it was the same consist/car (we were in 32077 the District of Columbia).
Well - Being as old as I am I'm lucky to remember which month I was on the train, so I can't tell you which car I was in.
ohmy.gif

Well - Being as old as I am I'm lucky to remember which month I was on the train, so I can't tell you which car I was in.
ohmy.gif
Careful there several of us AU'er here that resemble that remark! :help: :lol: :help: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back