Changing an AGR trip at the last min

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gratt

Lead Service Attendant
My wife and I are taking an AGR trip from from NYP-AUS leaving on DEC 31st :D (sadly I could not make it to HOS because of blackout restrictions and I did not want to pay $69 each for a bus ticket)

We are taking the 141 regional to WAS and then the Cap to the TE. At first I wanted to take an earlier regional like the 181 or the 183 so we have more time to spend in WAS, but I was informed over the phone that was not possible through AGR.

Does anyone know anything about this? Would it be possible to show up early in Penn station and take the 183? The last thing I would want to do though is take an earlier train and have the rest of our trip canceled because we "missed" our original leg. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Try calling back and speaking to an agent about switching to the 183 regional. It is worth a shot. Most agents will only book what pops up as the connection in arrow, but if you want to take an earlier regional, that might might be allowed. You are not supposed to do "stopovers" on AGR trips, which is why they do this.

We have booked NER connection to Lake Shore in NYP in a previous trip and wanted to take an earlier train to spend more time in New York City. The AGR agent was very accommodating and said it was no problem to put us on an earlier train to NYP. I would try another agent or perhaps request a supervisor to assist. :)

In general, I've found AGR agents to be quite accommodating to reasonable requests as long as you ask. Whether it's switching which Regional you take or, in my case, frequently exchanging a Regional for the Meteor coming back from WAS to RVR, they'll work with you. You can even opt to swap the LSL in for the Cap heading West even when the latter is the only "normal" option.

I always ask for the Capitol Lt.from TOL. west bound to CHI when making AGR reservations. It seems that the LSL is the train of choice for AGR. Only been turned down when the CL has no space.

If possible, when calling AGR, ask for Sharyl (that's how she spells it). Every time I get her, she has a way of figuring out how to override/trick the computer, and/or she has a better suggestion for me that I might not have thought of. She's one of the friendliest people I've ever talked to at any company in the history of forever. That's how I know how to spell her name; I asked for it because I plan to write a nice note to her supervisor. I wish I knew how to call her directly. ;)

Back