Changing diapers in the SSL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was not suggesting all passengers would bring a changing mat on a train, more those parents with a baby...

By "changing mat" I was thinking any waterproof type material that would protect the table.

The bottom line, if you will pardon the expression, is that we can't see the baby or the table in the photo...

Ed.

Agreed, Ed. When mine were little, there was always a changing mat in the diaper bag with the rest of the supplies. Put the mat down, take care of business, clean up Andrew yourself and there’s no fuss.

Honestly, I’m more appalled by the fact that people think that it’s OK to take pictures of complete strangers and dogpile them on the Internet than I ever will be by people taking care of their kid. And I’m considerably more appalled at the lack of reading comprehension that caused a pile of you to jump all over Betty and attack her for something she didn’t even say.

Maybe if we took half a moment to think before criticizing others, the would would be a little happier than it is today.

If a baby is on a changing mat when being changed, where is the dirty diaper placed when the clean one is on the baby?
In the diaper bag or a prearranged plastic bag. Then into a trash can on the train, or are you against having dirty diapers sharing space with dirty tissues, food waste, etc?

If a baby is on a changing mat when being changed, where is the dirty diaper placed when the clean one is on the baby?
In the diaper bag or a prearranged plastic bag. Then into a trash can on the train, or are you against having dirty diapers sharing space with dirty tissues, food waste, etc?
You mean on the floor under the table isn't the proper place?

Honestly, I’m more appalled by the fact that people think that it’s OK to take pictures of complete strangers and dogpile them on the Internet than I ever will be by people taking care of their kid. And I’m considerably more appalled at the lack of reading comprehension that caused a pile of you to jump all over Betty and attack her for something she didn’t even say.
Thank you, Ryan. Actually, thank you twice. Once for the privacy sensitivity and once for reading comprehension observation.

Please, keep this civil. The sniping back and forth needs to stop. As my mother would say (perhaps while changing my younger sisters' diapers,) if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all.
Thank you, jebr. My mother said that, too, and it was good advice.

The concern originally was about the tables where food is served. In the DC, the servers do try to keep the tables clean after each seating, but in the SSL there is no control. Changing the baby on the table could be worse for the baby than for the people after because no one know who sat at that table before. They might have the beginning stages of the flu. A mat may or may not be the protection because I doubt it is sanitized after each use, so it is carrying what ever it was on previously. Also, the mat may have contaminated the inside of the diaper bag. Just saying the issue of being sanitary in the SSL is questionable. I am not a person who even things about wiping down things ever, but the more I sit here and think about the tables, the more I want to put a package of sanitary wipes in my backpack for my next trip to the SSL.

I am not a person who even things about wiping down things ever, but the more I sit here and think about the tables, the more I want to put a package of sanitary wipes in my backpack for my next trip to the SSL.
I think this is probably sound advice; we see people playing cards and similar activities in the lounge car, but this thread points out that there are likely less wholesome activities also going on at those same tables. To your earlier point, yes, I believe that there is an element who regards what we would call common sense as being prudish and old fashioned. I would imagine that they see diaper changing on par with breast feeding: as an activity which one should not be forced to use a bathroom in order to undertake. Both are perfectly 'natural', after all.

Another small one is walking up to the counter and to grab a bunch of napkins and blow your nose right in front a few people crowded around the counter trying to buy food, or the many others in the car trying to enjoy their food. They don't consider heading in to the bathroom instead. The thing that REALLY hits a nerve is when people walk up to the counter, grab a napkin or two, blow their nose, and get in line to buy something, and hand me their cash/credit card after they just blew snot everywhere. Yum!
This is another increasingly prevalent crass behavior I also don't understand. First of all, napkins aren't Kleenex (or paper towels, for that matter). Don't complain about the price of food items or a shortage of napkins when you engage in this practice. Secondly, just as no one wants to see or hear you cough up what could be a hairball and spit it on the floor, no one wants to hear your unintentional attempt at a duck call either. Similarly if you have that itch below the waist that just has to be scratched. At the very least go to an unoccupied part of the train to take care of it.

Personally, I think we should combine this and about a hundred other similar threads into a "why are people inconsiderate morons" superthread.

The answer, by the by, is that a hundred years ago somebody with a bit of chutzpah would have taken it upon themselves to read the offender the riot act. Now we just take cell photos of the act and kvetch about it on the internet, while randomly putting words into various people's mouths. The jerkwad, improperly unscalded, has no feedback informing them of their misconduct, goes on obliviously misconducting on their merry way.

Guess Amtrak needs to post a list of FDA rules that Amtrak has to follow, the the Amtrak staff could point to the sign using this a their backup or reasoning for asking the people to move out of the food service cars (DC, SSL). Restaurants do this now if they see it, just like shoes and shirts in some states. Of course there is the FDA and then there are also the individual state Dept. of Health refs too.

Agreed, Ed. When mine were little, there was always a changing mat in the diaper bag with the rest of the supplies. Put the mat down, take care of business, clean up Andrew yourself and there’s no fuss.
Ditto. A changing mat was standard item in my bag. While you all are thinking its to only protect the table, IMHO, I had one to protect my kid from anything (germs?) that might be on the table from the previous user.

Though, I am old enough to remember back when dedicated changing tables were ONLY in the Ladies rooms. As an only parent, this created a difficult situation for me, several times, and I had to use what ever flat surface that was available in the area.

Ditto. A changing mat was standard item in my bag. While you all are thinking its to only protect the table, IMHO, I had one to protect my kid from anything (germs?) that might be on the table from the previous user.

Though, I am old enough to remember back when dedicated changing tables were ONLY in the Ladies rooms. As an only parent, this created a difficult situation for me, several times, and I had to use what ever flat surface that was available in the area.
Well that's progress. Unisex restrooms with changing stations, and changing stations in men's rooms just like the women's rooms. Problems solved. So insist people use these changing stations and ban them from using anyplace else to change used diapers. If a parent or guardian wants to protect the little one from germs in a restroom, a quick spraying of surfaces with Lysol and use of a changing mat seems to be the preferred solution.

There are just things we in civilized cultures don't do in public. Changing diapers is one of those.

I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 8 month old and we take them all sorts of places so deal with this sort of thing all the time. It's ridiculous to use a table to change a diaper, but it is also sometimes not always possible to have a fully private place to change a diaper. Not all bathrooms, and in particular men's rooms, have a changing table. Many non-chain restaurants don't have them, so our first option is to always ask if there is a place to change a diaper, a couple times I have been told they have one in the women's room, and have had a staff member ensure the bathroom is empty and watch the door so I can do a quick change. Another place offered if the floor of the managers office was acceptable. Since we always have a changing pad, that worked fine. Other options have been in the car if we had that with us. We have used our stroller before as the back lays flat, and we always try to position it away from being easily viewed.

A blanket "no changing diapers in public anywhere" is a bit excessive in my opinion and experience. We always try to find a bathroom or private place, but if we can't, we try to be as discrete as possible. Not to mention, even in a bathroom with a changing table, they are often not in a stall so anyone using it will be able to see what's going on.

If you want to see real fireworks, start talking about breastfeeding and pumping in public

It appears that this thread has run its course. We are locking this thread pending additional moderator/admin review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back