Charlotte to NY for Thanksgiving

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband and 2 very tall teenage sons are planning a trip from Charlotte to NYC on the Crescent the week of Thanksgiving, which I understand is about a 12-hour trip. We've heard all kinds of comments, probably from people who don't know what they're talking about, such as the cars will be very crowded, dirty, off schedule, bad food, etc. We're unsure whether or not to reserve a sleeper car. Our travel will probably be during the nightime hours. Can anyone offer us some constructive suggestions based on fact and prior experience? Comfort is a higher priority than cost. Basically I'm looking for assurances, because my husband at this point wants to give in and fly, based on all the negatives he's heard.

I have wonderful memories of traveling by train between Sacramento and Salt Lake City during the holidays as a child and would love for my boys to have a positive train travel experience. Thanks so much!

As an alternative I would suggest taking the Carolinian. The Carolinian leaves and arrives at sane hours of the day, and is not an overnight trip. You'd be able to see almost all of, if not all of, the sights from the comfort of Coach or Business Class. Granted there is no Dining Car, but there is still a Lounge Car, and it'd probably be a better travel experience coach wise, and just as cost efficient in coach. If you're bent on the sleeping car experience and its cost then the Crescent is a better option.

I would agree with the post above, since taking the Crescent would mean arriving at the Charlotte station at midnight - getting on the train at 1:30 am and probably not getting settled until 2:00 - 2:30 am. The best part of the trip is having breakfast in the diner while going through the VA country side and you and your family would probably be too tired to enjoy the sights.

The Carolinian is a good alternative, which would get you out of Charlotte at a reasonable time in the morning, let you see all the sights along the way and get you into NY in the late evening. The lack of a diner is a bit of a problem, but since price does not seem to be the object, book the Business Class and get a bit more room and a bit more privacy. Pack some fun "picnic food" and have an adventure.

I live in Davidson (which is 20 miles north of Charlotte) and take the northbound Carolinian frequently. I have also taken the Crescent. Perhaps I am lucky but I have never had a bad Amtrak trip.

The Carolinian is a coach/business class train that originates in Charlotte about 8am. The return trip terminates in Charlotte about 8:30 pm. The bulk of both trips will be in daylight and the on-time performance is pretty good (for Amtrak). As mentioned, there is no dining car but there is a lounge/cafe car. The food is just average. I usually travel in business class and the car has always been very clean. There is ample legroom in coach class and even more in business class. The advantages to business class are no walk-through traffic, a dedicated attendent, movies, free newpaper, and free coffee/soft drinks.

The northbound Crescent leaves Charlotte about 1:00 am or so and the return arrives about 3:00 am. (Great people watching at the Charlotte station in the middle of the night). I have only travelled by sleeper on the Crescent, so I cannot comment on coach. My sleeper experiences have been excellent - clean compartment and privacy. The dining car fare has been very good. The Crescent (at least the sleeper portion) is a throwback to the 1950's, when travel was dignified and unhurried.

Personally, I don't think I could justify the expense for a sleeper for only 12 hours. I would probably take the Carolinian. This train does tend to run pretty full on regular days, and it will be crammed on Thanksgiving. I would make reservations soon.

I fly a fair amount, and notwithstanding the excellent airport in Charlotte, I would rather take the train any day under any circumstance.

I'd Reccomend taking the Crescent if you don't mind Boarding in the Middle of the night and spending the later half of the night on the train. It is a Very pretty ride. I'd recommend Booking NOW if you want a deluxe bedroom because the train carries a total of 4 Deluxe rooms. Those are fairly large. And if money really isn't an Issue I'd get 2 deluxe Bedrooms or 2 standard bedrooms.

Coach wouldn't be too bad, the Coaches have usually undergone an over haul and are fairly clean. I, however have only traveled for short day trips in Amfleet 2 coaches.

If you are gonna go on the Caro. I'd definetely go Business Class.

Thanks for the great feedback. The Carolinian it is!

For the person from Davidson, would you feel comfortable leaving your car at the Charlotte station for 6 days?

The Crescent has pretty good on-time performance. It is much better than average for long-distance trains.

Good question about the Charlotte rail station. I usually board from Kannapolis or Salisbury (depending on the train) and not Charlotte. The few times I have travelled out of Charlotte my car came to no harm.

The parking lot is a bit shabby, but I think is pretty safe. I would park under a light, leave nothing tempting in your car to steal, and lock tight. You could ask the agent inside for parking suggestions.

If you still feel uncertain about parking, you may want to catch the train in Kannapolis. The car would be fine up there.

Since you are traveling at Thanksgiving, I have a couple of hints. I mentioned in my previous post that the Carolinian usually runs pretty full on regular days. It will be like an East Asian train at Thanksgiving - people everywhere. (Sometimes I'm surprised folks are not hanging out the windows and piled on top of the train.)

There will be plenty of empty seats to choose from in Charlotte. I suggest that your family claim two seats on both sides of the train. That way you can easily swap seats to view the sights on either side of the train. The train will begin to fill up at Greensboro and may be full, or close to it, at Raleigh. The train may lose some time, as Amtrak will be boarding lots of people in Greensboro, Durham, and Raleigh. (Pay attention at these stops, as usually someone who is helping their family on the train doesn't get off fast enough and the train will leave with them on-board. It's pretty funny when they have a fit.)

If the weather is cold, the train could get a little bit chilly. It's usually not too bad, but there are lots of stops in North Carolina which allows the cold air to come onboard. Bring a sweater or light jacket.

Finally, I would bring along some food. The cafe/lounge will be crowded, there may be a line, and the quality is just average. Pretty good beer selection and the coffee is quite good.

Thanks for the scoop. I have already booked 4 business class seats on the Carolinian. We're going to have an unconventional Thanksgiving: 5 nights at the Essex House, shows, museums, etc. The train trips coming & going will give us some family time together to get excited & then debrief each other, I think.

I think you are doing the right thing, esp. by booking business class.

If only the Crescent served Charlotte at better hours, it would be nice to take a sleeper and eat in a real diner.

But since it doesn't, you are doing well to take the day trip on the Carolinian.

You will find business class to be rather comfortable, since your sons are tall. Hopefully it will not as much of a scramble as the coaches will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back