Chartering Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn Ryu

Conductor
Noticed Yankees were chartering trains to take them to Boston for a series against the Sawx.

Heck, Amtrak even got the train to pick them up right in front of the Yankee Stadium via Metro North station.

How much does Amtrak charge to charter? Is it profitable? How much do these teams save by taking trains instead of flying?

Amtrak gets a lot of charters. The NASCAR Express was using Amtrak California equipment. The Reno Fun Train uses a bunch of different equipment.

I've mentioned the 80s NBC program Real People, which did a show by train, but apparent they did it being pulled on private varnish.

It costs a lot of money. From my experience it costs roughly fifty grand a day for two engines and eight amfleet one coaches. And that number might be out dated.

It costs a lot of money. From my experience it costs roughly fifty grand a day for two engines and eight amfleet one coaches. And that number might be out dated.
I was looking into chartering ONE private car MSP-CHI-MSP at around $6200, including most fees from the car owner (friends of the 261) and Amtrak.

Pretty sweet they got picked up right at Yankee Stadium. I'm sure the costs were in line with the expense of a chartered airplane.

But they're leaving A-Roid behind, he's getting Released!

Strike up "It's All Over Now Baby Blue! "
So long, A-Fraud!!!!!!
Say what you will. He's a HOF player.
Agreed, along with all the Drunks,Druggies,Gamblers,Women Beaters, Racists already in the HOF!
The 'Roiders,Druggies and HGH Stars from the 70s,80s and 90s should also be in, it's not a College of Cardinals or Choir Boy Shrine, it's for the Best of the Best Baseball Players, not Saints! .

It's a farce that the All Time Hit Leader, the Homerun King and the Best Pitcher of his Generation are kept out by a Private Club of Sports Writers that is full of Drunks and Envious Non Athletes that never played the game! ( See Max played by Robert Duval in "The Natural")

Last edited by a moderator:
The Yankees use charters quite often. Not sure why this made such popular news this time in particular. A lot of teams do this. I haven't been with the company for two years yet, and I've heard of the Yankees, Red Sox, and Patriots doing charters, and a couple other teams I can't remember right now. Sometimes they'll charter a cafe car (with either Amtrak supplied food, or catered with whatever beer/wine they want) and one or two coaches, either earlier this year or late last year, the Patriots bought out the end Business Class car on one Acela in each direction, and had the car catered (but served by two LSAs).

I was looking into chartering ONE private car MSP-CHI-MSP at around $6200, including most fees from the car owner (friends of the 261) and Amtrak.
PV owner/operators pay Amtrak based on Amtrak's Private Car Tariff:

https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/683/841/Private-Car-Tariff.pdf

https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/1019/482/Private-Car-Tariff-Rates-Addendum-2.pdf

PV owners charge their customers an amount which will recover this in addition to what they feel is appropriate.

Is this used by sports teams in any other corridors? I can think of a few areas where it could work.

WAS-BAL-PHL-NYP-BOS (MLB,NBA,NFL,NHL)

CHI-MKE (MLB,NBA)

CHI-DET (MLB,NBA,NFL,NHL)

CHI-STL (MLB,NHL)

LAX-SAN (MLB,NFL)

OKJ-SAC (NBA)

RGH-WAS (NHL)

STL-KCY (MLB)

CHI-IND (NBA,NFL)

MKE-MSP (MLB,NBA)

CLE-PGH (MLB,NFL)

CLE-BUF (NFL)

BUF-TOR (NHL)

ORL-MIA (Brightline NBA)

If these private charters are routine events scheduled far in advance and adhering to common criteria established by well known customers in good standing I would expect substantially lower rates than one time events that are organized by irregular low volume intermediaries.

In theory can that train drop off Yankees right by Fenway? Think the MBTA station nearby is Yawkey.
It's possible to do via the Inland Route. However, Yawkey is not at Fenway's front door on the MBTA like the Yankee Stadium station is on Metro North.

The Yankees use charters quite often. Not sure why this made such popular news this time in particular. A lot of teams do this.
This was an unusual sports team charter because it was on the northern end of the NEC and operated on Metro-North territory to get to the Yankee Stadium stop. Sports team charters are routine on the southern end of the NEC. Amtrak is limited to 39 trains a day on the SLE and runs 38 trains a day on weekdays over the SLE (19 each way), so there are constraints on running additional special trains on the northern half of the NEC. However, since this charter ran on a Sunday which has fewer NYP-BOS scheduled trains, they presumably could run the special train.

Interesting route for the charter with the train #844 reportedly laying over at the Metro-North Highbridge Yard. If this one went smoothly, maybe the Yankees and other MLB teams traveling between Boston and NYC will consider it for Sunday trips.

In theory can that train drop off Yankees right by Fenway? Think the MBTA station nearby is Yawkey.
It's possible to do via the Inland Route. However, Yawkey is not at Fenway's front door on the MBTA like the Yankee Stadium station is on Metro North.
I don't think it's that much further. Yankees Stadium station isn't exactly right next door neither.

Plenty of large and pretty good hotels right by Back Bay Station. Quick bus trip to Fenway Tuesday. The back of the Westin Copley Place is really close to the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back