Cheap sleeper?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boyce

Train Attendant
I have already made reservations on the Sunset going from San Antonio, Texas to Pensacola, Fla. for Thanksgiving My tickets are for coach. I have monitred the price for about a month and its the same. Should I gamble on being able to upgrade once on board.

Unless you are traveling at least 3 to 4 days prior to that Thursday and returning on at least Tuesday or later, then no I would think that you will have no chance of an on-board upgrade. If you are traveling outside that window then maybe you will get lucky.

Agreed with Alan. Upgrades are not usually available (all are sold out) around a week before or after Thanksgiving. It is one of Amtrak's busiest periods and many trains completely sell out.

Boyce, the lowest price one can attain on the Sunset from San Antonio to Pensacola one way in an Economy room is $134.00 So if you are getting a price like $268 round trip in the sleeper, that's as cheap as it gets.

On Amtrak's site, I get a round trip price of $464.00 for a standard bedroom. (senior discount)

boyce said:
On Amtrak's site, I get a round trip price of $464.00 for a standard bedroom. (senior discount)
Boyce,

That's the same answer I get, when I put in travel dates of 11/23/03 and return on 12/05/03. So it sounds like you are getting the right numbers. When I went closer to the actual holiday using, 11/25/03 & 12/03/03, it got worse at $526.00.

Amtrak does charge more for peak times, like the holidays. Also as the train sells out, the fares go up. So word to the wise, if you are still thinking of upgrading to a sleeper, don't wait too long. The price could go up at any time.

Also a few other things to consider, if you are sitting on the fence. Remember that you will get three meals included for free. You can easily spend 40 to 50 bucks in the dining car, maybe more, if you are riding in coach. Even if you take all of your meals in the cafe car, you'll still drop at least 30 bucks.

Next you do get free softdrinks and coffee as a sleeper guest. You will also have access to a shower, something that is not available in coach. The bathrooms also tend to be cleaner in the sleepers, since less people use them. You will have a bed to lie down in, as opposed to a reclining seat. Finally, you have privacy. You can close your door and just watch the world go by the window.

My travel dates are to depart 11/23/03 and return 12/01/03.

Roll the dice! I didnt expect a price jump so soon. Does Amtrak have many cancellations? Do they " over-book "?

boyce said:
Roll the dice! I didnt expect a price jump so soon. Does Amtrak have many cancellations? Do they " over-book "?
They don't overbook sleepers, I'm not quite as sure with coach, but I don't think Amtrak really does it at all.

Viewliner said:
They don't overbook sleepers, I'm not quite as sure with coach, but I don't think Amtrak really does it at all.
No, Amtrak won't overbook coach, but it can become overbooked when passengers board without reservations at unstaffed station stops and the conductors sell them a ticket onboard anyway - I have seen it happen (especially around Thanksgiving) on the California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, and San Joaquin trains.

There however can be cancellations sometimes. Additionally passengers making reservations by phone, don't have to pay right away. They have two days to show up at a station or phone back in with a credit card #. If they haven't paid after two days, then the reservation is dropped from the system and the sleeper goes back on sale.

If no other sleepers have been sold by that time, then the price will drop back down, until the magic number is once again reached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back