Cheaper family bedroom vs Bedroom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XNWA

Service Attendant
I have seen that on several dates in Feb. and Mar. I see the family bedroom selling cheaper than the bedroom on the Empire Builder. Why is this? Is it because of availibilty? Sounds like a good deal to me, windows on both sides of the train, but no bathroom which is not a big deal.

I have seen that on several dates in Feb. and Mar. I see the family bedroom selling cheaper than the bedroom on the Empire Builder. Why is this? Is it because of availibilty? Sounds like a good deal to me, windows on both sides of the train, but no bathroom which is not a big deal.
I think it is like theatres offering discounted childrens fairs, its just something you do. Plus, its a long term investment for when they become of age to pay full price.

It's due in part to the fact that one doesn't see too many families traveling at this time of the year, so those rooms often go unsold. Additionally of course is the lack of the bathroom and what many would say is the less desirable location on the lower level, which leads to increased track noise. Some people are also turned off by the idea that each side only gets a single window, unlike the double paned window found in the bedrooms and the roomettes.

While I won't deny the convience of having the bathroom in your room, I probably wouldn't pay much more than 50 to 60 bucks extra for that luxury. And the family room IMHO is a nice room, I've traveled in it twice myself, although I really did have family in the room.

It's due in part to the fact that one doesn't see too many families traveling at this time of the year, so those rooms often go unsold. Additionally of course is the lack of the bathroom and what many would say is the less desirable location on the lower level, which leads to increased track noise. Some people are also turned off by the idea that each side only gets a single window, unlike the double paned window found in the bedrooms and the roomettes.

While I won't deny the convience of having the bathroom in your room, I probably wouldn't pay much more than 50 to 60 bucks extra for that luxury. And the family room IMHO is a nice room, I've traveled in it twice myself, although I really did have family in the room.
Thanks for the info Alan, thats about what I thought. Are the windows small and is the track noise that bad?

Thanks for the info Alan, thats about what I thought. Are the windows small and is the track noise that bad?
Regarding the windows, the roomettes and the bedrooms all have two panes of glass side by side, even though most people consider it to be one window. That extra pane of glass does give one a bit more depth when looking ahead or behind. In the family room, you only get one pane of glass so you loose a bit of that depth, even though you gain the ease of looking out both sides of the train. Of course anytime the scenery is really good, most people would be heading for the Sightseer lounge car, at least as long as they last in service.

As for the track noise, sure it's more noticable than it is on the upper level, but I certainly didn't think it horrible and it didn't stop me from sleeping. I have however heard others who seemed to think it too loud for their tastes.

I prefer lower level. I don't notice a difference in track noise, but I do find the lower level to have less noticeable left-right rocking motion.

I prefer lower level. I don't notice a difference in track noise, but I do find the lower level to have less noticeable left-right rocking motion.
Yes, the sway is always less on the lower level by comparison to the upper. You also don't have a parade of people walking by your room when you're on the lower level, as well as no doors opening and closing as people pass from car to car. So there is something to be said for the lower level.

My family has used the Family room on the EB and the Auto Train. We really like it. The positioning of two of the beds that go across the width of the train instead of front-to-back is nice in my opinion.

Save the money!

Joseph

Erie, PA

I took a Family Bedroom from Chicago to Emeryville traveling alone because is was significantly cheaper than the Bedroom. It was very nice and very quiet. I spent alot of the time in the Sightseeing Lounge anyway. The restrooms and shower were not that far away. The Family Bedroom reminds me of Drawing Rooms in the pre-Amtrak Sleeping Cars. I think it is an excellent value.

Just as you can book 3 in a "deluxe" bedroom, you can book 5 in a family bedroom...We comfortably fit my 10 & 14 year old sons, my father and my wife and I in one on the EB. All five us had meals the whole way as well. Bed-wise it was tight, but in the daytime there was plenty of seating...and we were in the sightseer most of the time anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back