Check Bags Amtrak San Joaquin Buses

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a question.

Will be traveling on the San Joaquin bus, train connection to get from Los Angeles to Reno. Has any one tried checking baggage on the bus train connection?

Another question is that the last bus from Sacramento to Reno does not have checked baggage, how long does it take to get the checked bags in Sacramento.

I haven't checked baggage on a thruway, but, in general, all it means is that an Amtrak baggage handler throws your bag under the bus rather than you or the driver.

If you're not taking a lot of big bags, I'd suggest just carrying it on, especially if you have a segment without baggage service. There's usually quite a bit of space in the upstairs luggage racks on the San Joaquins.

Have a question.

Will be traveling on the San Joaquin bus, train connection to get from Los Angeles to Reno. Has any one tried checking baggage on the bus train connection?

Another question is that the last bus from Sacramento to Reno does not have checked baggage, how long does it take to get the checked bags in Sacramento.
Just speaking from a recent experience, and others may have further tips to offer.

On the return from Sacramento after the Coast Starlight Tehachapi detour, I arrived at the SAC station too late to check bags onto the bus to Stockton, where I'd transfer to the southbound San Joaquin. Bags still went into the bus baggage hold, and the driver said that at Stockton I could probably check them through to OXN. He was right. Checked the bags at Stockton, and didn't have to deal with them again until after the San Joaquin and another bus to OXN, which was my destination.

Best recommendation from here is to talk to people at L.A. to find out exactly what the deal will be.

Good Luck at the tables in Reno!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back