Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone,

We will be taking the Empire Builder in a couple of weeks from Chicago to Seattle.

Can anyone shed any light on the process for checking bags at Union Station in Chicago? Is it 45 mins before boarding time? Do we get a bag ticket?

And how is the bag collection process in Seattle? Is it similar to an airport with a carousel for bags or do we just deboarded and bags are there to be collected?

thank you!
According to the station information for Chicago Union Station, bags need to be checked at least 60 minutes before boarding. You will be given a baggage check for your checked luggage. Don't lose the baggage check. (I can't remember where you check your bags at Union Station but there should be signage.)

https://www.amtrak.com/stations/chi.html

At Seattle, there is a baggage carousel in a gated area. You go in, take your bags from the carousel and show your baggage check to the attendant when you leave the gated area. At least that is the way it was done a few years ago and maybe someone can provide an update.

Hope you have a great trip.

Alluding to the opening post it should be noted that Amtrak checked baggage service is only available at a few select stations, mainly those in larger cities or stops where boarding is usually heavy. The Amtrak timetables used to specify where service was available but Amtrak no longer prints anything that can be of assistance. I don't believe those timetables are even available online but the RPA has revised then and you can find them on their site.

According to the station information for Chicago Union Station, bags need to be checked at least 60 minutes before boarding. You will be given a baggage check for your checked luggage. Don't lose the baggage check. (I can't remember where you check your bags at Union Station but there should be signage.)

https://www.amtrak.com/stations/chi.html

At Seattle, there is a baggage carousel in a gated area. You go in, take your bags from the carousel and show your baggage check to the attendant when you leave the gated area. At least that is the way it was done a few years ago and maybe someone can provide an update.

Hope you have a great trip.
Thank you! This is very helpful!

Alluding to the opening post it should be noted that Amtrak checked baggage service is only available at a few select stations, mainly those in larger cities or stops where boarding is usually heavy. The Amtrak timetables used to specify where service was available but Amtrak no longer prints anything that can be of assistance. I don't believe those timetables are even available online but the RPA has revised then and you can find them on their site.
The Santa Fe Depot in downtown San Diego sometimes offers checked baggage service and sometimes does not. (That's why we no longer travel Amtrak with luggage that needs to be checked.)

Back