Checked Baggage Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I'm considering taking the Lake Shore Limited from Chicago to Erie, PA next month, and I have a question regarding checked baggage. Erie's Union Station has "no checked baggage hours." Does this mean I cannot claim a checked bag in Erie? The bag I would check is pretty big and I'm assuming would be too large to carry on, but maybe that's a possibility as well?

Thanks in advance, I apologize if this sort of question has been asked elsewhere.

As Erie has no checked baggage service, you'll have to carry it on. However Amtrak allows you to carry on any bag under 50lbs and smaller than 28" x 22" x 14"Amtrak's Baggage Policy

Hope this helps ;)
Actually - Amtrak probably won't care how much the bag weighs if you can carry it yourself without any help from an Amtrak employee. They won't weigh your carry-ons and they won't check the size, unless it is extremely obvious that it is way bigger than allowed. Its on;y when you check on that they adhere to the 50lbs limit.

As Erie has no checked baggage service, you'll have to carry it on. However Amtrak allows you to carry on any bag under 50lbs and smaller than 28" x 22" x 14"Amtrak's Baggage Policy

Hope this helps ;)
Actually - Amtrak probably won't care how much the bag weighs if you can carry it yourself without any help from an Amtrak employee. They won't weigh your carry-ons and they won't check the size, unless it is extremely obvious that it is way bigger than allowed. Its on;y when you check on that they adhere to the 50lbs limit.
Tom's right on target with this one. I watched a rather pushy pax getting on the Crescent in NYP with a huge bag. The coach attendant tried to stop him but he kept walking bumping into everyone else trying to board. The SA tried to explain the baggage policy and he sourly turned to her and blurted, "Where's your ruler and scale? Point being~if you can get by the crew you can get it on board. I would not want to be left standing at a station, especially in tri-weekly LD territory, because I didn't want to pack two smaller suit cases as opposed to a steamer trunk sized bag. This one's a crap shoot; just don't forget who is running this operation and you'll probably do OK.

The coach attendant tried to stop him but he kept walking bumping into everyone else trying to board. The SA tried to explain the baggage policy and he sourly turned to her and blurted, "Where's your ruler and scale?
The reply should have been "Its in the station master's office. Please take your baggage there now." Followed a few minutes later with the SA waving bye-bye to this inconsiderate passenger as the train pulls away.

Seriously, I hope that each and every passenger who got bumped, demanded and received a $500 voucher from Amtrak due to this SA failing to successfully do their job.

The coach attendant tried to stop him but he kept walking bumping into everyone else trying to board. The SA tried to explain the baggage policy and he sourly turned to her and blurted, "Where's your ruler and scale?
The reply should have been "Its in the station master's office. Please take your baggage there now." Followed a few minutes later with the SA waving bye-bye to this inconsiderate passenger as the train pulls away.

Seriously, I hope that each and every passenger who got bumped, demanded and received a $500 voucher from Amtrak due to this SA failing to successfully do their job.
While I wouldn't demand a voucher as its not Amtrak fault really I mean idk if the guy found a place to stash the bag then I don't think its really a big deal as long as he didn't take up any revune space in doing so.

I agree with the above. If you can easily carry the bag(s) by yourself and it it not obviously big, nobody will measure or weigh carry-ons. I don't think they'll question (say) a 31" bag, but they may say something about a 6" long bag that takes 2 people to carry it!

Last month, coming off a LD train with checked baggage service to a Regional (that doesn't), I had 4 bags. Nobody said anything!

I agree with the above. If you can easily carry the bag(s) by yourself and it it not obviously big, nobody will measure or weigh carry-ons. I don't think they'll question (say) a 31" bag, but they may say something about a 6" long bag that takes 2 people to carry it!
6 inches long and takes two people to carry it?! Must have had the density of a neutron star or something!! :blink:

Last month, coming off a LD train with checked baggage service to a Regional (that doesn't), I had 4 bags. Nobody said anything!
Sounds like you need to take some of BJG's advice:

Travel light! :lol:

6 inches long and takes two people to carry it?! Must have had the density of a neutron star or something!! :blink:
Those are "solar system inches"! :p After all, if a "nautical mile" can be more than a "regular" mile, why can't a "solar system inch" weigh so much? :huh: :lol:

And those extra bags were many thing I picked on the way and didn't want to carry - like wine from the PPC! :p (Gotta "support" the PPC or else it may disappear! So I help out and do my part! hic! :lol: )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back