Checking baggage on multi-city trips

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wayman

Engineer
I'm considering an itinerary like

Thu 24 June, Springfield to Lynchburg

Sat 26 June, Lynchburg to Philadelphia

Mon 28 June, Philadelphia to Springfield

I have a bicycle and a couple boxes of books I want to get from Lynchburg to Springfield. Can I get them checked straight through as checked baggage, even though I'll be stopping off in Philadelphia for a few days, if I show all my tickets at Lynchburg when checking them?

All stations handle baggage, but I will be taking completely different trains (Regionals) than my stuff (either 20-49-448 or 20-66-449). It doesn't matter what day my stuff actually arrives in Springfield -- I'll probably drive to Springfield Tuesday or Wednesday to pick it up. I just want to make sure I can get it from Lynchburg to Springfield without having to deal with it in Philadelphia, and ideally get it there as "checked baggage" rather than as "Amtrak Express", even though I've got a layover in my itinerary.

I think yes, as long as you show the agent when checking in BOTH TICKETS, it should be carried in 20/66/449. Note that Amtrak will hold checked baggage at the destination free of charge for 2 days - after that there is a storage fee per day!

However southbound, unless you get to SPG a day early to check you stuff, they will not arrive to LYH until you leave, because 448 arrives after 67 departs, so it will be sitting in BOS for 1 day! (The Shuttles or any other Regional do not carry checked baggage!)

I think yes, as long as you show the agent when checking in BOTH TICKETS, it should be carried in 20/66/449. Note that Amtrak will hold checked baggage at the destination free of charge for 2 days - after that there is a storage fee per day!
Sounds like this will work well, then.

Saturday morning I can drop off the bike and boxes at LYH prior to boarding the regional. They'll go up on Sunday's Crescent, get put on 66 that night, and arrive in Boston Monday morning. Monday afternoon they'll go out on 449 and get to Springfield by later Monday afternoon. I won't get to Springfield myself until 10pm Monday night (on my Regional), but Tuesday I can drive down to Springfield and pick up my stuff -- it won't have been sitting there 24 hours yet at that point, or if they count the days as "Monday" and "Tuesday" rather than counting hours, it's still within two days.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back