Checking Bags at Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gfoley4

Train Attendant
How far before the train leaves can you check bags? It seems the Amtrak website has no info on this.

When I was in Chicago I was leaving on the evening CL and was able to check my bag at 7:00 AM that morning.

You can check luggage 24 hours in advance of departure, up to 45 minutes prior to departure.
This is really very generous on Amtrak's part. When I was traveling out of Cincinnati airport with the Big Airline there, the counter agent refused to check my bag 8 hours before my flight (so I could take a boat tour of the region on the Ohio River), said that there were no luggage lockers or third party services inside the airport at which I could check my bag, and if I left my bag anywhere in the airport it would be confiscated and destroyed and I might well be arrested.

So I hauled my suitcase back into town and took it with me on board the boat. And the boat captain and other "security" aboard the boat came over and politely asked me why I was bringing a suitcase onto their boat for a three-hour tour. I explained the situation, they took a quick look inside, and walked away chuckling about the customer service policies of the Big Airline at CVG.

At NYP, you can check your luggage the day before your trip. When we are taking the Cardinal, (6:05am departure)

we check our bags the afternoon before, stay overnight in a hotel, then board the train with only our carry-on the

next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back