Checking in a Cooler?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andy

I'm going on a camping trip in a few days and I need to bring an empty cooler (29"x19"x19") which I will fill with food when I arrive at my destination. In the meantime, I figured that I could fill the cooler with gear for the train trip and could make that my check-in baggage.

However, after doing some investigation, I found that the Amtrak website states the following for suitable baggage:

"Suitable Bags: Please be sure to pack your baggage using sturdy luggage or containers that are capable of withstanding expected handling. Please note that we do not accept plastic storage containers, lightweight suit bags, and other similar items as checked baggage."

Of course, the cooler is sturdy and it will meet the height and weight limits, but will it not be accepted because it is made of plastic? Is there a way that I can take my cooler, or am I SOL?

Thanks.

Andy

Aloha

Well I don't know Amtrak's policy on coolers but many Hawaiians use them all the time while flying. They even sometimes pack food.

Ive seen folks pack coolers onto the Capitol Corridor. They were basically required to have it taped well shut and make sure it didn't leak (these guys were taking food).

Basically, the language that you're quoting is a CYA from Amtrak. If you check a cooler and they break it, they're not going to be responsible, as it is not meant for the purpose.

It may ultimately be up to the person at the counter whether they think that you're cooler is suitable for checking, but making good and well sure that it looks that way should help.

I've seen coolers checked on airplanes, especially coming back from Maine (guess what they had in them) and they were really duct taped a lot, but seemed to handle the trip along with the luggage.

Andy, I have check coolers on board before with out problems. If your packing it with stuff keep it light and duct tap or strap it close. I now use an 12 volt cooler, and Amtrak will not let me check it, however they did let me carry on board.... and I got to sleep with it. Roomettes :eek:

The plastic container is referring to storage container. Ice cooler is not one of them, so you'll be able to check in or even carry on board if it meets the carry-on requirement.

Using duct tape is a must to secure your contents!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back