Checking in luggage for only part of the trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

longdistance

Train Attendant
We will travel from New York (Lakeshore Limited) via Chicago (4 hours changing time to Zephyr) to Emeryville. Is it possible and adviseble to check in luggage only for NY to CHI because of spaceproblem with big suitcases in viewliner and yet have entrance to suitcases during long trip on Zephyr? Thanks!

I might propose this for your consideration,,,,,,

pack one suitcase for the four days,,,, along with a carry on for each of you,,,,,,, when you get to Chi park that stuff in the lounge (I am assuming your are traveling on a sleeper) use a red cap if you feel like it in Chi

check the rest all the way through and just pick it up there,,, the Zeph is only three days

If your are paranoid, use some cable ties - but have a pocket knife to cut them on arrival,, we have never had any trouble with luggage on Amtrak,,,

If for some reason the LSL arrives very late into CHI (of course that never happens) and to get a near on time departure for the CZ you go right to the CZ and never go into the station at all. (It has happened, and sometimes it is on the track right next to the LSL.) So you can either get your bags and hope the next day's CZ has space at a reasonable fare (a guaranteed connection does not include time to retrieve your checked bags) or get on the CZ and arrive in EMY and find your bags are waiting for you in CHI.

I think the suggestion andersone made is the best way to go.

If for some reason the LSL arrives very late into CHI (of course that never happens) and to get a near on time departure for the CZ you go right to the CZ and never go into the station at all. (It has happened, and sometimes it is on the track right next to the LSL.) So you can either get your bags and hope the next day's CZ has space at a reasonable fare (a guaranteed connection does not include time to retrieve your checked bags) or get on the CZ and arrive in EMY and find your bags are waiting for you in CHI.
Or the Amtrak staff needs some time to move the luggage from the train to the station. If the LSL is late this might cause a problem too.

But it is possible, I did something similar and it worked out fine.

If the bag is ticketed to go to EMY, it will be transferred to the CZ. However, if it is ticketed to go to CHI, it will not be. They will leave it, and then take it to the luggage room to be returned to its owner in the baggage claim. At that time, you may be 20 miles west of Chicago!

I've actually found more suitcase space in a Viewliner roomette than in a Superliner roomette, but your mileage may vary...

I think what the OP is asking about is that the Superliners has the luggage rack on the lower level, while the Viewliners has no public storage space.

On the Viewliners, the roomettes do have a cubby hole above the hallway where bags can be stored. Also, if the upper berth is not being used, bags can be stored there. And the SCA can also help with storage, sometimes storing bags in empty rooms, the shower room, the vestibule or at times the baggage car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two people should be able to make a trip of this length using just one rolling bag of size small enough to fit in the cubby in a Viewliner, and a shoulder bag or backpack.

If you don't mind doing a lot of shuffling and/or using the restroom in the cafe car, then two rollaboards can be accomodated.

I can fit two smaller-size rolling suitcases in the Viewliner cubby, plus a purse or satchel. We have special requirements which require us to carry more baggage than we really want to... I routinely fit two large and two small bags in a Viewliner roomette. Can't do that in the Superliner roomette, have to use the downstairs luggage rack.

We finished the transcontinental trip by checking in one big suitcase, the other a little smaller one fitted in the cubichole over the hallway in the viewliner and of course downstairs in the luggagerack of the superliner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back