CHI to SEA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

manderson

Service Attendant
To keep it to a 2-zone AGR trip I have to change from the CZ to CS at SAC. I thought I'd book an additional SAC to EMY on the CZ, and EMY to SAC on the CS, to shorten the layover and get more train time, but a test booking doesn't give me those options. I can do it, but only by changing trains, which I'd rather not do. Any suggestions on avoiding the long and late-in-the-day SAC layover?

Take the Empire Builder and go direct?

If you really want to do it that way, SAC is a (D) station for the CZ, you'd have to buy a ticket from Roseville to EMY.

Edit:

So to be more clear - Redeem 2 zone award CHI-SEA on the CZ with a transfer at SAC.

Purchase a RSV-EMY ticket so that you can stay on the CZ all the way through to EMY.

Purchase a EMY-SAC ticket so that you can board the CS in EMY and ride it to SAC where you'll then resume your award travel.

If you're running late on the CZ, you just need to keep an eye on the timeline and location of the CS so that you don't end up missing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I knew there had to be a way. As for the EB, I'll be taking that eastbound, and coming back via CZ/CS.

To keep it to a 2-zone AGR trip I have to change from the CZ to CS at SAC. I thought I'd book an additional SAC to EMY on the CZ, and EMY to SAC on the CS, to shorten the layover and get more train time, but a test booking doesn't give me those options. I can do it, but only by changing trains, which I'd rather not do. Any suggestions on avoiding the long and late-in-the-day SAC layover?

I've got the same situation next month, even though, this past Feb they allowed me to connect in EMY!?!?!? I called again yesterday & they wont do it without charging me additional points! There seems to be no consistancy in their interpretation of Zone Travel!!!

I thought they would allow you too book that connection in EMY now....I would call AGR and keep trying until someone will let you. Or I guess just buy the coach tix and hopefully a sane conductor will allow you to stay in your sleeper for the remainder of the trip.

I thought they would allow you too book that connection in EMY now....I would call AGR and keep trying until someone will let you. Or I guess just buy the coach tix and hopefully a sane conductor will allow you to stay in your sleeper for the remainder of the trip.
I just got off the phone with AGR -- she had to check with a supervisor, but was able to connect me in EMY. She said it was because the EMY layover is long enough to guarantee the connection. Thanks for the tip!

I must apologize. I was trying to change to an EMY connection from #11 to #6. They wouldn't let me do that, but I did get the connection change in MTZ. I was switched from rm #2 to #11 on both the CS & CZ, but what the hell!!!

I was switched from rm #2 to #11 on ... the CS
Unless they resold room #2 at SAC or DAV, I do not understand why they had to switch rooms on the CS?
huh.gif
And unless you had room #11 on the CZ, why would they have to change the room?
huh.gif
I find it HIGHLY unlikely that someone would take a roomette between MTZ (or even EMY) and SAC!
rolleyes.gif

And to answer the other question, you can book to connect in EMY - just watch the time in case you need to get off in DAV or MTZ in case the CS is late, so you can connect to the CZ!
smile.gif

I was switched from rm #2 to #11 on ... the CS
Unless they resold room #2 at SAC or DAV, I do not understand why they had to switch rooms on the CS?
huh.gif
And unless you had room #11 on the CZ, why would they have to change the room?
huh.gif
I find it HIGHLY unlikely that someone would take a roomette between MTZ (or even EMY) and SAC!
rolleyes.gif

And to answer the other question, you can book to connect in EMY - just watch the time in case you need to get off in DAV or MTZ in case the CS is late, so you can connect to the CZ!
smile.gif
Dave,

I agree with all you said. However I give up!. This way I get a southbound breakfast & cut my wait time in half! As far as the Rm #11, I'm closer to the shower & short stops (fresh air). But, it will be a new experience, good or bad. But, how bad could it be if I'm on a moving train??? :giggle:

I also just got off the phone with AGR. I'm switching from the CS to the CZ in Feb 2012. Naturally they expected me to switch at SAC. I called and after asking the agent to repeat & spell her name I requested that I be allowed to switch trains in Emeryville or Richmond. I got EMY but I was moved from bedroom E on the CS to bedroom D. Sounds like what they did to Rail Freak but since I'm changing in EMY I'm a happy camper.

I also told the agent that I am a friend of Dave, the_traveler.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got EMY but I was moved from bedroom E on the CS to bedroom D.

I'm surprised that after hearing that, they did not move you to Bedroom G!
ohmy.gif

I still do not understand why they have to switch rooms, unless that room is resold. But I find it hard to believe that someone would get a bedroom or roomette on the CZ between EMY and SAC! (About 2 hours and no meal!
blink.gif
)

I also just got off the phone with AGR. I'm switching from the CS to the CZ in Feb 2012. Naturally they expected me to switch at SAC. I called and after asking the agent to repeat & spell her name I requested that I be allowed to switch trains in Emeryville or Richmond. I got EMY but I was moved from bedroom E on the CS to bedroom D. Sounds like what they did to Rail Freak but since I'm changing in EMY I'm a happy camper.

Is SAC discharge only from the CZ? If so, it might have something to do with that and that they can't just add on SAC to EMY to your existing reservation, and what they are doing is looking for a room that is open the entire distance.

Might be worth another quick call back to see if they can switch you to bedroom E right now since you just switched, that room should be open for the entire route.

I still do not understand why they have to switch rooms, unless that room is resold. But I find it hard to believe that someone would get a bedroom or roomette on the CZ between EMY and SAC! (About 2 hours and no meal!
blink.gif
)
I'm no ARROW wizard, but isn't a change like this done by actually canceling and redoing the reservation? In this case an inattentive or inexperienced agent could book you in a different room by grabbing whatever room ARROW offered, rather than making sure that you get your previously assigned room.

I have heard (here) that E is the best room but I don't know why. I do know why A is the least desirable room. Is room D significantly less wonderful than E?? Why??

Some people prefer room "E" because there is only a bedroom on one side of you. The other side is the wall that has the stairwell in it, thus it can be quieter.

Bedrooms E, D, C & B are all identical. The only difference (as stated) is that there is only a room on one side of Bedroom E. Plus Bedroom E is almost in the center of the car, thus (according to many) providing the smoothest ride!
cool.gif

blink.gif
)
I'm no ARROW wizard, but isn't a change like this done by actually canceling and redoing the reservation? In this case an inattentive or inexperienced agent could book you in a different room by grabbing whatever room ARROW offered, rather than making sure that you get your previously assigned room.
They don't have to cancel the reservation if they know what they're doing. But they do need to release, translation remove, the room from the reservation in order to change the destination/boarding point. When they release the room, it immediately becomes available to anyone trying to make a booking on that train at that time. So it could be that someone else grabbed it, or it just could be that they didn't pay attention to what room they got when they asked arrow to grab a room from CHI to EMY. And most people not only wouldn't be making such a request, they also wouldn't care what room they were in.

But we are not "most people"!
laugh.gif
I guess I am "most people" I am delighted that I will be able to make the transfer where I want to (or where the CS's timing suggests to me). I just don't think the difference between bedrooms E and D is as significant as not having to wait many hours at SAC in the early morning - without breakfast!

Same situation here.....later this summer. Just get a room at the Vagabond Inn across from the station----and spend the day in SAC.

I will be coming all the way from Jacksonville---so, I will need the break.

John

Same situation here.....later this summer. Just get a room at the Vagabond Inn across from the station----and spend the day in SAC.

I will be coming all the way from Jacksonville---so, I will need the break.

John
That would have been my strategy if I couldn't change in EMY. But I was able to make the change, and have scouted out walking paths accessible from the EMY station, so am now a happy camper. I love riding trains but am not used to the inactivity, so I have to get out and walk walk walk whenever possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back