Chicago boarding times

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seajay

Service Attendant
Does anyone know how long before the scheduled departure from Chicago (10:30 PM) The Three Rivers usually starts boarding? Specifically, what time they usually start with the sleeper passengers?

Thanks!

seajay

Unless Amtrak has made some changes when they pushed back the departure time of the 3R's from 9:20 to 10:30, then you can expect to start boarding no more than about 15 minutes before depature.

The last couple of times I have ridden the Three Rivers east out of Chicago, they have started boarding at 10:10 so that everything is set to go for an on time departure. Lately, they have even been putting the mail/express cars on in the station before the train leaves, so it can head straight out of town with no stops in the yard. It always leaves from the run-through track #28 on the east side of the station. I think that for sleeping car passengers, the lounge sometimes closes a bit earlier than 10, and they just have you wait in the priority boarding area and board before the coach passengers do.

This is based on my experience in Chicago a few weeks back, but I assume the same formula is used for boarding all trains. A first call for Sleeping Car passengers is made for those needing assistance and traveling with children about 30 minutes prior to departure. At 25 minutes prior to departure and general boarding call is made for all Sleeping Car passengers. At 20 minutes prior to departure a boarding call is made for all passengers traveling in coach.

The best thing you can do though as a sleeping car passenger though is go to the Metroploitan Lounge so that you do get that priority boarding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back