Chicago-Boston direct service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From NARP...
Amtrak has revised plans to reinstate the Lake Shore Limited thru cars. While thru car operations will resume on October 27, a sleeping car going to and from Boston will not be added for an unknown number of days.
http://www.narprail.org/cms/index.php/hotl...re/hotline_575/
Any number of days between 1 and 100,000?
Sounds like the Sunset's "service to be determined...." :lol: :lol:
Ooh, I have a great idea!!! Let's get John Kerry to introduce a bill ordering Amtrak to institute a through-sleeper to Boston and authorizing a million-dollar feasibility study! :rolleyes: :lol:

That opinion is so hilariously naive that I am speechless.
The expression usually refers to the Treasury Departments use of selling T-bills and T-bonds to offset the national debt. In a way, it is "printing more money" to pay off the debt, but obviously, not in the literal sense, like with pre-war Germany. So, depending on the context, it may not be naive, but a very smart observation.

Anyway, still hoping for that through-sleeper.

The North/South link would be nice as well. Backbay is a frightening train-station. We made the mistake of going there only once. Ever since, we will either catch the green/red line, or take the taxi if we have lots of luggage, to South Station.

Taking the Orange line to Backbay might look quicker on paper, but it is such an inconsistent rail. I'd argue that the green/red route is quicker most times of the day.

The North/South link would be nice as well. Backbay is a frightening train-station. We made the mistake of going there only once. Ever since, we will either catch the green/red line, or take the taxi if we have lots of luggage, to South Station.
What's wrong with Back Bay? Tho I've only used it once (I made a connection there from Amtrak to the orange line as I had luggage). I didn't think it was the best station i'd been to, but I'm not sure it was frightening - maybe I was just lucky?

While we in the US seem content to print tons of treasury bonds all the time, I wish to point out that its not that simple, nor is it intelligent to do it even if it was. People have to buy those bonds. You give yourself a lot of problems when you do it this way. Acting like the government can just print more money is a route to considerable danger.

While Joel has some pie-in-the-sky ideas from time to time, they are usually better thought out than that.

I didn't think it was the best station i'd been to, but I'm not sure it was frightening - maybe I was just lucky?
Maybe I was unlucky as well, though it did not resemble a train station in any way. It was simply a highway underpass that did a very good job of trapping diesel fumes, and garbage blown in from the wind.

They should have really phrased it...

"Sleeping Car service between Chicago and Boston has been suspended. Future service has yet to be determined."

What's wrong with Back Bay? Tho I've only used it once (I made a connection there from Amtrak to the orange line as I had luggage). I didn't think it was the best station i'd been to, but I'm not sure it was frightening - maybe I was just lucky?
The orange line service is inconsistent at best. The orange line also tends to have some violence on it after it progresses past back bay into some of the not so nice boston neighborhoods, although the backbay station is in quite a fine neighborhood.

Sometime within the past two months, a woman was horribly raped and assaulted around 8 pm on a Friday evening at the backbay station at gunpoint. I believe she was also beaten, but luckily she was able to kick the gun away and start running and a transit policeman came to her aid. I would also say that I generally hear of more petty crime (pickpocketing, ipod theft, etc) at the back bay station then at other train stations in Boston.

Link to sexual assault story in the globe: http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachus...as_long_record/

Maybe I was unlucky as well, though it did not resemble a train station in any way. It was simply a highway underpass that did a very good job of trapping diesel fumes, and garbage blown in from the wind.
Indeed, at some point in the past I edited the Wikipedia article on that train station to link to a news article about the problems with air quality there. 210.56.99.80 appears to have removed it, without really providing any explaination for why. The history page has more background for anyone truly curious.

I recieved a letter from the General Manager of the MBTA within the last few weeks that basically says that there is no concrete plan as to how the ventilation at Back Bay is going to be improved.

They should have really phrased it...
"Sleeping Car service between Chicago and Boston has been suspended. Future service has yet to be determined."
I think you mean ``Upgrades from coach class between ALB and Boston are being suspended starting October 27. Future service has yet to be determined.''

Sometime within the past two months, a woman was horribly raped and assaulted around 8 pm on a Friday evening at the backbay station at gunpoint. I believe she was also beaten, but luckily she was able to kick the gun away and start running and a transit policeman came to her aid. I would also say that I generally hear of more petty crime (pickpocketing, ipod theft, etc) at the back bay station then at other train stations in Boston.
Sorry, y'all ain't got nuthin' on Philadelphia. We had a murder on a subway platform in the middle of the day last year, right near City Hall. City of Brotherly Tough Love....

I'm told from a source within Amtrak that starting with the new timetable (October 27), Amtrak will restore through coach and sleeper service to Boston on the Lake Shore Limited.
Does anyone know whether today's 448/449 had any non-coach passengers, and if so, whether they were in a Viewliner or a combined Business Class / food service car?

I contacted Amtrak regarding my upcoming trip in December and after a few a emails back and forth, recieved this response:

Thank you contacting us.

Currently, the project to have sleeper service all the way through has been put on hold. There was an equipment problem and the problem should be resolved before the end of December. However, we do not have an exact date as to when this will take place. You may want to check back mid November early December to see if it's been changed. Please contact our Reservation Call Center at 1-800-872-7245 for further assistance.

Sincerely,

Yola

Amtrak Customer Service

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back