Chicago experts....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben_G

Service Attendant
Trying to get a idea to get youngest daughter south for a vacation. She is disabled and may have trouble with toteing luggage a long distance. What I need to know is how far is the South Shore end of the line from Union station. I see what looks like two options Millennium station or Van Buren street.....Which would be closer and how far if you know. I can put her in a taxi if necessary if not easy walking distance. She would be leaving NW Indiana Dunes Park station on the South Shore. How about luggage on that train ? Any problems with taking it onboard ?

Also anyone ride the Saluki or Illini that would know if there is available luggage storage for a medium suitcase or two on those trains.

Last edited by a moderator:
Van Buren is technically closer, but I don't know how it is for accessibility. I haven't used the station, but I've only seen stairway entrances (there may be a hidden elevator entrance somewhere). Either way, you're looking at close to a mile walk, so bus or taxi is probably in order. Therefore, there's no real advantage to using Van Buren even if it is slightly closer.

There will be space to put her suitcase on the train.

Trying to get a idea to get youngest daughter south for a vacation. She is disabled and may have trouble with toteing luggage a long distance. What I need to know is how far is the South Shore end of the line from Union station. I see what looks like two options Millennium station or Van Buren street.....Which would be closer and how far if you know. I can put her in a taxi if necessary if not easy walking distance. She would be leaving NW Indiana Dunes Park station on the South Shore. How about luggage on that train ? Any problems with taking it onboard ?

Also anyone ride the Saluki or Illini that would know if there is available luggage storage for a medium suitcase or two on those trains.
I would suggest checking the South Shore website as as well as the CTA. accessibility could be an issue at eithe rotation, however I think she would have a better chance of getting a taxi at the Millennium station. Luggage should not be a problem on any of the trains. good luck!

she can take the 151 bus from Michigan avenue in front of the Millenium Park station right to Union Station. There's an elevator from the main exit of the station up to street level. Upon arrival at Union Station, she should cross Canal Street since an elevator is available on the east side of the street, but not at the bus stop on the west side. On both the South Shore and the Illini, she'll have to handle her baggage, but a Red Cap could take her to the train at Union Station and help with the luggage.

I use buses or trains in Chicago for pretty much anything I do when I go there. Even so, for the trip between Millenium and Union, for a disabled person with luggage, I'd probably recommend a cab unless your daughter is very comfortable on and used to buses. It's not all that far so it won't be all that much, and while the 151 is a frequent route, it can be very crowded and slow.

I've done the transfer from Van Buren to Union Station Chicago several times on vacations with luggage. There are several bus routes between the two points but it is just as viable to walk (and very easy). Van Buren has elevators to the platforms and being a small station is very easy to use. Also the staff there have always been very friendly to me and helpful. Trains southbound (including the South Shore line outbound) depart from the platform that adjoins the waiting room so no steps or anything. In the opposite direction you arrive at the venter (island) platform from where there is an elevator. There are two entrances to van Buren that I am aware of. One from the bridge and one outside the entrance of the Roosevelt University building. I have found the former is sometimes closed so would head straight for the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back