Chicago IL to Rapid City SD to San Francisco

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kenny Lim

My wife and I are arriving from Zurich into Chicago early July this year and would like to experience a train journey in the US. How can we do Chicago to Rapid City (Mount Rushmore) and then Rapid City to San Francisco.

Unfortunately, you can't get anywhere near Rapid City by train. Here's a map of Amtrak's rather limited network. For instance, you could take the Empire Builder to Williston, ND, rent a car, and drive 530 km to Rapid City. I wouldn't recommend that, since the oil boom traffic on US 85 is, by all reports, terrible, and the road surface also bad. The California Zephyr could take you to McCook NE, and from there to Rapid City is 630 km. It's a longer drive, but I think that it would be much easier. I don't know from personal experience, because while I am very familiar with the Dakotas, I have spent little time in Nebraska. Return to the car to McCook and you could continue on to San Francisco on the California Zephyr.

If you do go to Mt. Rushmore, I would strongly recommend a detour to Devil's Tower, only 200 km away. While Mt. Rushmore has to be about the most underwhelming place I've ever been to, the reverse is true of Devil's Tower. It's not accidental that it was the first National Monument designated.

Rapid City is about as far from any available Amtrak service as you can get in the continental US. The closest Amtrak stations appear to be Ft. Morgan, CO on the California Zephyr route at 318 miles (512 KM) away, and Williston, ND on the Empire Builder route at 333 miles (537 KM) away.

Going to Mt. Rushmore and Amtrak are not a good fit. If you just have to do it, the most practical way would be to take the Californiz Zephyr to Denver, CO and rent a car. After Mt. Rushmore, return to Denver and continue on the California Zephyr to Emeryville and San Francisco. Denver is 395 miles (637 KM) from Rapid City, but both Ft. Morgan and Williston are relatively small towns and Williston is in the middle of an oil boom and there are usually no rooms available there to boot. Denver is your best chance to easily rent a car and the arrival and departure times there are decent.

If I had my heart set on going from Chicago to Mt. Rushmore to San Francisco overland, I'd just do a road trip.

Also, it is mid-May and getting kind of late to book sleeping accomodations for July for any Western Long Distance train. If you want to do it, you'd best decide and get cracking.

BTW-Rapid City, SD hasn't had passenger rail service since before 1960. There was a reason the Richard Thornhill didn't continue by rail to Rapid City in North by Northwest...there wasn't any service even then!

I second Ispolkom's recommendation of Devil's Tower.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with Ispolkom...Rushmore is underwhelming and I don't know if I could justify driving 800 miles round trip (McCook, NE to Rapid City). However, western Nebraska is really quite beautiful. I have spent a lot of time in the Sand Hills and it would really be a great ride to see the "wide open spaces". I also agree with zephyr17...just do a road trip by car.

I've never been to Mount Rushmore, but those who have (like the posters here) have had nothing but bad things to say about it. You can't even get that close to it. It's worth looking at for maybe 30 seconds of your hours-long trip there. If you really want to see something interesting in the northwest region of the US, I highly recommend Glacier National Park (which is extremely easy to visit on your rail itinerary) and Yellowstone (which is not).

I'd recommend that you take the Southwest Chief from Chicago to Flagstaff or Williams, Arizona and see the Grand Canyon! I too think Mt. Rushmore is Overated! They will meet your Train with a Van(it is Late @ Night) and take you to a Hotel on the edge of the Canyon, you can also Ride the Grand Canyon Railroad to the Canyon! You can then catch the Chief and continue on to Los Angeles which is worth seeing for a Couple of Days, ride the Coast Starlight to the Bay Area,(best Train ride in North America ;) ) visit San Francisco, and if you have time, Ride the California Zephyr through the Sierra Nevadas, across the Nevada and Utah Deseert,(@ Night) through the Colorado Rockies along the Colorado River to Denver (some of the Best Scenery in North America :) ) and on to Chicago! Use Google or Bing and check it out! If you are set on seeing Mt. Rushmore, Flying is really the only way to go unless you like Driving Hundreds of Miles through Nowhere with Nothing to See or Do!

My Second Choice would be riding the Empire Builder from Chicago to Glacier National Park in Montana :wub: , Spend a few Days , on to Seattle on the Empire Builder, then down the Coast on the Coast Starlight to the Bay Area!

I do not think that Mt. Rushmore is underwhelming at all. However, I would concur with some of the advice given above about doing a road trip ( Perhaps drive one way and take the train in the other direction ) or visit the Parks mentioned that are convenient to reach by train. I used to work at Grand Canyon and if you go there, stay a couple of nights and savor it and don't rush through the place. You will find me as a volunteer some days at Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument near Flagstaff. Please feel free to ask more questions.

If seeing Mt. Rushmore is important to you, your best option would be:

Fly from Chicago to Rapid City, then fly from Rapid City to Denver, then take the Amtrak California Zephyr train from Denver to San Francisco.

The train ride from Denver to the west coast is one of the most beautiful in the world.

I agree with some of the others that Mt. Rushmore by itself is not very impressive. However, the Rapid City area and western South Dakota are worth visiting for the other attractions in the area. Badlands National Park, Wind Cave National Park, the Crazy Horse Memorial (a much larger mountain carving still in progress), Custer State Park, and the old wild west town of Deadwood are all good places to visit near Rapid City.

I do not think that Mt. Rushmore is underwhelming at all. However, I would concur with some of the advice given above about doing a road trip ( Perhaps drive one way and take the train in the other direction ) or visit the Parks mentioned that are convenient to reach by train. I used to work at Grand Canyon and if you go there, stay a couple of nights and savor it and don't rush through the place. You will find me as a volunteer some days at Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument near Flagstaff. Please feel free to ask more questions.
I also worked in the Canyon as a river guide in the 70's. If you end up going, make sure you visit the less touristy North Rim. Much cooler, lots of beautiful trees and you might even see a Kaibab squirrel.

Personally, I like jimhudson's idea of the Empire Builder to Glacier, then on to Seattle, and the Coast Starlight to San Francisco.

I agree with some of the others that Mt. Rushmore by itself is not very impressive. However, the Rapid City area and western South Dakota are worth visiting for the other attractions in the area. Badlands National Park, Wind Cave National Park, the Crazy Horse Memorial (a much larger mountain carving still in progress), Custer State Park, and the old wild west town of Deadwood are all good places to visit near Rapid City.
Completely agree with this. Of course Rushmore by itself isn't "worth the trip" but the Black Hills/western SD area is a great gem and a great way to sample the beauty

and diversity of the American interior. Personally, I'd suggest flying to Chicago, doing a one-way car rental from Chicago to Denver via the Black Hills, then train to SFO. (Though if you're flying from ZRH, it's likely that taking a train through the mountains probably won't be the world's biggest novelty, but it's a nice trip nonetheless.)

Completely agree with this. Of course Rushmore by itself isn't "worth the trip" but the Black Hills/western SD area is a great gem and a great way to sample the beauty

and diversity of the American interior. Personally, I'd suggest flying to Chicago, doing a one-way car rental from Chicago to Denver via the Black Hills, then train to SFO. (Though if you're flying from ZRH, it's likely that taking a train through the mountains probably won't be the world's biggest novelty, but it's a nice trip nonetheless.)
I agree with you about the Black Hills/western SD area. I would only hesitate about the cost of a one-way rental. Allowing four or five days it would easily be in excess of $1000.

I agree with you about the Black Hills/western SD area. I would only hesitate about the cost of a one-way rental. Allowing four or five days it would easily be in excess of $1000.
Don't be so sure. I did a dummy booking for a one-way rental from O'Hare to Denver for one week in July. On Budget's website you can get a car for

about $700 (inc. taxes and fees) if you specify that are from Switzerland. (Which I'm assuming the OP is, since they are flying from ZRH, but other

European countries yield similar rates)

That said, even if it did cost $1000, that would still be on par with the other options mentioned, which involve additional domestic flights or picking up

rental cars in out-of-the-way places along Amtrak routes. (Someone mentioned picking up a rental car in McCook, NE, where the westbound

Zephyr stops at 3:43 in the morning... :wacko: )

Don't be so sure. I did a dummy booking for a one-way rental from O'Hare to Denver for one week in July. On Budget's website you can get a car for

about $700 (inc. taxes and fees) if you specify that are from Switzerland. (Which I'm assuming the OP is, since they are flying from ZRH, but other

European countries yield similar rates)

That said, even if it did cost $1000, that would still be on par with the other options mentioned, which involve additional domestic flights or picking up

rental cars in out-of-the-way places along Amtrak routes. (Someone mentioned picking up a rental car in McCook, NE, where the westbound

Zephyr stops at 3:43 in the morning... :wacko: )
Good point...although that $700 is probably an underpowered econobox.

Mount Rushmore is OK. See it if you are in the area. The Black Hills overall are a must-see. Stay in a cabin or lodge in Custer State Park and drive around the area for a few days. Ride the Black Hills Central steam railroad! By all means, see Devils Tower in nearby Wyoming.

As for riding the train, ride the California Zephyr to Omaha or Denver and rent a car to make the drive to the Black Hills.

Lots of good suggestions here, as usual. Enjoy your visit to the US!

Having seen the Alps, I'm not sure any mountain scenery in the US is better. I've not seen the Rockies, though, and I know Oregon and Washington State definitely have some beautiful mountains. The Grand Canyon is one of a kind, and awesome. Also, the US landscape is quite varied and diverse.

Just remember, the Alps set a high (no pun intended) mark to meet. Best wishes for an enjoyable trip.

Edit to add: US trains are nothing like European trains, so if you've never ridden Amtrak, your expectations may need some adjustment. Most of us here on the forum enjoy traveling by Amtrak, but it doesn't compare with the trains of Europe in many ways.

I hope I don't sound like a wet blanket! The US offers many great things to see and do, and I hope your experiences here are memorable ones.

There are various bus tours that go through Mt Rushmore and Badlands. It might also be possible to just take a Greyhound bus from Chicago although I looked and it would take 3 transfers and about a day from Chicago.

Thank you everyone for the advice. We managed to get flights from Chicago to Rapid City via Denver so that part is OK now. We're taking a car from Rapid City so we should be able to visit Mt Rushmore and the surrounds - lots of good advice and things to do. Thought we might have too much time on our hands but after all the suggestions given here - we might not have enough :)

The next part is getting from Rapid City to San Francisco. The advice about going to Denver and then the train sounds the most interesting so we'll try booking for that.

Thank you everyone again.

It was Roger Thornhill (with the middle initial of "O", which stood for nothing), not Richard Thornhill. So his cigarette matchbooks had the letters ROT on the cover. Never saw him smoke in the movie, although Miss Kendall did -- in the dining car on the 20th Century Limited.

Roger Thornhill took Northwest Airlines from Chicago to Rapid City -- a route now part of Delta Airlines.

Roger Thornhill took Northwest Airlines from Chicago to Rapid City -- a route now part of Delta Airlines.
Delta doesn't fly CHI-RAP, unless you connect in MSP. United and American do fly that

route non-stop, though.

Delta doesn't fly CHI-RAP, unless you connect in MSP. United and American do fly that

route non-stop, though.
I doubt that any airline flew nonstop from Chicago to Rapid City in the 1950s (when Hitchcock directed North by Northwest) -- perhaps someone has some airline timetables from that era?

And for another "misplacement", when Roger Thornhill convinced Eve Kendall to take the train from Mount Rushmore (Rapid City) back to New York City, the classic scene where he pulls her up to the upper bunk in their double bedroom -- followed by a train entering a tunnel, is of an SP locomotive traveling eastbound between Sacramento and Colfax, CA and entering one of the tunnels on Track 2 near Auburn, CA.

Ahhh. Another aficianado of my all-time favorite movie, that I have seen enough times to almost know every line..... :)

Related to this topic, I watched an interesting documentary on PBS last night about the construction of the Mt. Rushmore monument, which was completed in the early 40's. Mention was made of the fact that the builder traveled to Rapid City, SD by train during the 30's, and I was wondering which railroad(s) that might have been. Anyone know?

Ahhh. Another aficianado of my all-time favorite movie, that I have seen enough times to almost know every line..... :)
Ditto! Every time I watch it I want to hop on a LD Train, have a Gibson and order Trout in the Diner! So far Eva Marie Saint hasn't shown up but I'll keep Dreaming! ;)

route non-stop, though.
I doubt that any airline flew nonstop from Chicago to Rapid City in the 1950s (when Hitchcock directed North by Northwest) -- perhaps someone has some airline timetables from that era?
It could have been a direct flight, with intermediate stops. Those were more common in those years. It's sort of odd, though to see a Northwest Orient flight to Rapid City. Wouldn't North Central be a more likely airline for the era?

Related to this topic, I watched an interesting documentary on PBS last night about the construction of the Mt. Rushmore monument, which was completed in the early 40's. Mention was made of the fact that the builder traveled to Rapid City, SD by train during the 30's, and I was wondering which railroad(s) that might have been. Anyone know?
The C&NW, probably. They had a named train (called various over the years) that went Chicago-Mankato-Rapid City.

route non-stop, though.
It could have been a direct flight, with intermediate stops. Those were more common in those years. It's sort of odd, though to see a Northwest Orient flight to Rapid City. Wouldn't North Central be a more likely airline for the era?

The C&NW, probably. They had a named train (called various over the years) that went Chicago-Mankato-Rapid City.
North Central Airlines did fly from Minneapolis to Rapid City, but with two intermediate stops in South Dakota. Northwest may have been a quicker routing from Chicago. Or perhaps they simply offered to cooperate with Hitchcock's movie production company (with some monetary compensation?) for the free publicity for their airline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back